• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• from todays news !

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=46&id=50586

Leslie Hague, Daily Herald Staff Writer
    Chicago Daily Herald

Ruth Krieghbaum ~ 1924-2006

Before 911 dispatch and full-time firefighting forces, Ruth Krieghbaum was a one-woman emergency call center of sorts in Sugar Grove.

Starting in the 1940s, she would often answer one of the town's "fire phones," located at her house, activate the fire siren and direct firefighters exactly where they needed to go, said her son, Ken.

"Someone would call and say, 'So-and-so needs an ambulance,' and she could tell where they lived," he said. "She knew virtually everyone in town and the surrounding area."

Mrs. Krieghbaum, best known as the wife of former Sugar Grove Fire Chief Delmar Krieghbaum and a caring supporter of her family and the community, died Sunday at the age of 81.

She, herself, was a volunteer firefighter for 10 years, and was a founding member of the Young Adult Club, later known as the Community Club, the group that began the Sugar Grove Corn Boil festival. She was also a member of the Sugar Grove United Methodist Church and the Quilting Club.

"She did more than her share," friend Helen Jorgensen said. "And she never bragged about it. I don't think people realized how much she contributed."

In the early 1970s, Mrs. Krieghbaum was a member of a 14-member female volunteer firefighting force in Sugar Grove during the day, when most of the male force was working. It may have been one of the first female forces in the state or even the country, but records with such statistics are spotty.

The "fire gals" on the force said it was a necessity to keep the community safe. Most of the men worked too far away to return in time to respond to a fire.

"Whenever there was a call during the day, it was two or three of us and all the girls," said Sugar Grove Fire Marshal Wayne Parson, who started on the department about the same time as many of the women.

He joked with Mrs. Krieghbaum that she had 50 years of experience on the force for supporting Delmar in his time as fire chief. The couple had five children, 13 grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.

She also worked for several years at the Bank of Sugar Grove.

In 2001, the Krieghbaums were given the Sugar Grove Citizen of the Year award for their volunteer contributions to the community.

They celebrated their 61st wedding anniversary in June.

Friends and family remembered Ruth as a quiet pillar of strength that supported her family and the community.

"People keep telling me that she was the sweetest person they'd ever known," said her son, Ken. "I'm prejudiced, but I agree."

Through years of illness - she was on dialysis for five years and had a kidney transplant in 1985 - she wouldn't complain and always tried as hard as she could to make it to her grandchildren's activities at college, Ken said.

"She treated everyone the same," he said. "There was no favoritism. She loved everybody."

Visitation will be from 3 to 8 p.m. today at the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge, 42W619 Ke De Ka Road in Sugar Grove Township. Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Friday at the Sugar Grove United Methodist Church, 176 Main St., in Sugar Grove.

Rest in Peace...........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

What a wonderful role model.
    RIP Mrs. Krieghbaum .
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

Comment

Rest in peace Sister !
      I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

Comment

Josh, Mrs. Krieghbaum was my partner's mother in law. Very sad thing.

Comment

Great post Josh. Thanks for your years of service, and rest in peace Mrs. Krieghbaum.

Comment

turn on your PM's .............whats up caller ?
            ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
            RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
            LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
            I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

Comment

Pardon the hijack ..........

turn on your PM's .............whats up caller ?
              RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
              LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Comment

WOW ............a not so double double post ...........first time in 7,741 posts that has happened ?
                RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Comment

Sorry caller think I got that corrected

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader