Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jboczek
    replied
    Ashley and Richview took the brunt of it in our district. New Minden, Hoyleton and Irvington also got hit in Washington County. We spent quite a whle in Ashley and some time in Richview going door to door because of a lot of trees vs. house incidents. Reports are that almost all power will be restored by Tuesday with isolated house taking longer than that. Some areas that did not have much damage are powerless because of so much damage in other areas. Utility crews have so much to do with only so much equipment and people. They're the ones that are putting inthe hours.
    Washington County an Pinckneyville ambulances helped us out with our searches, but only 1 elderly patient was transported because of the storm.
    The damage was just unbelievable because it was so widespread. Tornadoes seem to hit only a relatively small area. This storm, I'm sure it'll be declared "straight line wind", started in New Baden in Clinton County and ended up somewhere SE of Mt. Vernon. That's at least 70 miles of damage.
    Thank the good Lord for looking over us.

Leave a comment:

• DjInferno
    replied
    Finally got some time and a computer with power AND internet. It is a MESS down here in Mt. Vernon! Most of the southern part of the city it virtually destroyed. There are very few trees actually left standing and it will still be a few more days before power gets restored. The bulk of the damgage took place in a heavily populated area of town, so lots of damage to homes and people without food/power/water/anything. Thanks a lot to Salem and Wayne City fire departments who came to help us out Friday, could not have done it without you guys. We had several structure fires as a result of the damage, all of course while the streets were impassible due to lines and trees. With the sheer number of calls we were VERY shorthanded on most.

All in all, right now everything seems to be coming along as well as can be expected...Red Cross, Salvation Army, NAACP, and I'm sure more I'm forgetting right now (kinda tired) are serving food and water to the residents. Damage assesment is underway and I've heard rumors we MAY be declared a disaster area. Not sure on injuries, although there are not many directly related to the storm, and no fatalities..so we definetly got lucky there.

You can see some photos of just Mt. Vernon and Jefferson County at www.register-news.com.

Have not made it over to Ashley to check that out, but I've talked to guys that flew over it and said its just as bad.

DJ

Leave a comment:

• Truck32
    replied
    Beautiful clear , cool July day up here!
    Seriously tho hope all is well down there.

Leave a comment:

• RspctFrmCalgary
    replied
    Sounds nasty ....

Hope you guys are all staying safe down there!

Leave a comment:

• kprsn1
    replied
    More storms

Damaging storms rolled across Southern Illinois again around noon today. From the reports I'm getting, Clinton, Washington, and Jefferson Counties all received significant damage from downed trees to destroyed trailers to collapsed buildings. Salem FPD responded to Mt. Vernon to help them cover any calls since they were so busy with storm damage. Ashley got I know at least a tree on a house. Jack, everyone okay down your way? We were lucky in Marion County. It stayed to the west as it slid southeast.

DJ, let us know how everyone is in Mt. Vernon when you get some time if you can.

Chad

Leave a comment:

• jboczek
    replied
    Originally posted by SFDredhat126
    St. Louis metro area received some severe damage. St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay stated there are three building collapses, Eads Bridge is closed due to debris, 400,000+ residents without power, and 30,000 people are at the Cards game with no Metrolink. Slay also stated this is the worst storm to hit the city in recent memory. Expected high of 101 degrees tomorrow, so no power could be a major problem.
    One of our guys is at the ball game tonight. He called right in the middle of the storm and said he'd never seen anyhting like it. White out conditions because of the rain, tarp ripped on the ball field, and more like 40,000 at the ball park. Quite a mess to the west of us, but nary a drip so far about 70 miles east of the city. The radar looks like we may get a shower before too long but that's about it. Tomorrow looks stormy. We'll see.

102 today, 82 on Saturday. Quite a change.

Leave a comment:

• ChiefReason
    replied
    Originally posted by jaybird210
    CR, did you have any problems from the heavy weather moving through your neighborhood today?
    VERY heavy rain with wind shears of 60 mph.
    Flying debris. I had to pull over on my way home from work.
    Was almost late for league golf.
    Course was beautiful, but very wet. My round sucked.
    Grass is already greening up again.
    Lightning was nuts.
    CR

Leave a comment:

• SFDredhat126
    replied
    St. Louis metro area received some severe damage. St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay stated there are three building collapses, Eads Bridge is closed due to debris, 400,000+ residents without power, and 30,000 people are at the Cards game with no Metrolink. Slay also stated this is the worst storm to hit the city in recent memory. Expected high of 101 degrees tomorrow, so no power could be a major problem.

Leave a comment:

• RspctFrmCalgary
    replied
    Are you guys still roasting?

Our heat wave is starting tomorrow and it's going to be a scorcher!

Thursday Sunny. High 28 (82) UV index 7 or high.
    Friday Sunny. High 31 (88)
    Saturday Sunny. High 34 (93)
    Sunday Sunny. High 32 (90)

That's hot for here. They were calling for 34-35 on Sunday too, so we'll see what happens.

You guys (and gals) stay safe!

Leave a comment:

• firefighterox
    replied
    weather caused a lot of downed powerlines in Bureau County. A lot of them in Princeton and Sheffield. Nothing bad in O-town. Just a light and thunder show.

Leave a comment:

• jaybird210
    replied
    Just call me Josh

CR, did you have any problems from the heavy weather moving through your neighborhood today?

Leave a comment:

• firefighterox
    replied
    Good ole Sislers Ice and Ice Cream. You can't miss the big orange truck. Which convienence store? Im kind of a short fellow. Blondish hair. Average build. I like to call myself a stud but thats just cause I like to give myself a big head.

Leave a comment:

• ChiefReason
    replied
    Originally posted by firefighterox
    CR, where are you from. I went to galesburg alot this summer for work. Along with woodhull, altona, kewannee, galva, rio, all those good places.
    Ox:
    I was in Princeton this summer and I think I saw you delivering ice to one of the convenience stores.
    It's that ice company from Ohio, IL anyway.
    Maybe it was someone else.
    CR

Leave a comment:

• Weruj1
    replied
    Originally posted by jaybird210
    Woodhull? What kind of hooligans live in WOODHULL!?!?!??!
    ......let me try ...........Wooodhullooigans !

Leave a comment:

• jaybird210
    replied
    Originally posted by firefighterox
    CR, where are you from. I went to galesburg alot this summer for work. Along with woodhull, altona, kewannee, galva, rio, all those good places.
    Woodhull? What kind of hooligans live in WOODHULL!?!?!??!

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X