Florida Firefighter Schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R1andy998 View Post
    I went to FCTC this year for EMT and Fire 1 and 2. Emt school is relaxed. Fire school not so much. Fire school in summer anywhere in Florida is going to suck. The school is pretty physical. PT is mostly made up of dragging hose and stairs. Theres pushups and pullups in there as well. Not much running. The day class is tough, not much time for the rest of your life after you add in all the studying. Most instructors are great. Some could use a little sharpenning of their skills. Fire 1 is mostly book work and slow. Fire 2 is mostly outside.
    It's a good school. I can't compare it to any other school because this one is all I know.
    One other thing did you guys work at a hospital at all or do any ride alongs with medics or anything while in emt school or is the whole thing done in class?

Comment

hey you will be running long distances in school for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by beachfire View Post
        How far did you typically have to run. I'm going to keep running but I don't want to concentrate on distance if it's mostly stairs and other physical stuff .

Comment

Originally posted by beachfire View Post
          The furthest we ran was maybe 1.5 miles once or twice. They were big on dragging hose until someone puked and running up and down the tower with a high rise pack.

Comment

Originally posted by CodyK View Post
            One other thing did you guys work at a hospital at all or do any ride alongs with medics or anything while in emt school or is the whole thing done in class?
            2 12's in the hospital and 3 ride-alongs with ST Johns County fire rescue or Clay County.

I chose Shands ER in Jacksonville so I could see some good stuff, and I did.

Comment

The furthest we ran was maybe 1.5 miles once or twice. They were big on dragging hose until someone puked and running up and down the tower with a high rise pack.
              Ok sweet that's cake.
              2 12's in the hospital and 3 ride-alongs with ST Johns County fire rescue or Clay County.

I chose Shands ER in Jacksonville so I could see some good stuff, and I did.
              Sweet. Are you just there to watch or do you get to do stuff?

Comment

Citrus County Fire Academy, which in pretty much is the sister college to Florida State because the instructors that taught and teach out at florida state designed citrus county's facility and program. Other school's come to use the burn building and other facility's. Also please don't go to a fire school that just run's a few laps and goes in for book work all day and only does 2 burn's to meet the minimum teaching.

Best of luck.

Comment

it doesn't matter one bit where you go to the fire academy. Whatever meets your schedule, price, etc is the one I would pick. Once you are State certified you don't even need to put what fire academy you went to on your resume or application.

I don't even think it matters if you find one that does the bare minimum or one that goes above and beyond. By the time you are certified, get through emt school, go through the 3+ months of any hiring process you're going to forget a lot of it. You're going to really learn everything you need to know on the job. I've worked at three different departments and they all told me to "forget what you learned in the academy," and showed me how they wanted me to do things.

I know a lot of people who went to Citrus County fire academy, and I am so glad I didn't go there. They may do more than minimum standards, but they also push their students way too far and I've heard of them kicking out students (without a refund) for falling out on live fire days.

The academy I went to didn't make us do any extra physical training on live fire days, because they wanted us to be safe and learn from everything we did that day. Citrus County makes you go into the burn building, then do a standpipe evolution, then go back in the burn building. Then they kick you out if you don't complete any of it. That's just asking for someone to hurt themselves or someone else. I don't know any fire department who does training like that because it's not safe and does not benefit the students in my opinion.

Comment

I agree with those that recommended to go where what fits you (distance, tuition, whatever caters to you most). I went to Lake County and it was a great school and great instructors, but at the end of the day, my friends (who attended seminole and central fl.) including myself are all hired not based on what school we attended. I can say that at least these schools in the central fl. are good, not to say others are not, i know they are good schools. I have heard of some schools being not so great however, where one class had a 60% fail rate on their state test I do know the Fl. St. Fire College is a great school but is pricey, they too receive the same cert. upon passing the state test as all of us do. So I highly recommend that you choose a school that is convenient for you and research to make sure that the instructors and resource are good enough to pass the state test. Good luck to ya.

Comment

FORT MYERS FIRE ACADEMY!!!!

Great Academy, A little rough at times but i guess it depends on what Knuckleheads you have in your class Plus it is an academy soo... Its kind of like some look for anything for you to screw up to make you do some hard physical PT but they whip you in shape big time and get you ready and show you how deep you really can dig!! ALOT of GREAT instructors quite a few rough necks too but you gotta love it when someone is pushing you...

Overall they have a GREAT passing rating!! And Chief DeArmond is the BEST of the BEST Everyone that graduates wants to work at his station best guy ever!!

http://www.swfpsa.org/content.php?l=2

Comment

Try Manatee Technical Institute in Bradenton.

More specifically, MTI-Lakewood Ranch Campus.
                        PROUD FHP Grandson

Comment

Try Palm Beach State College. They have really nice facilities.
                          Last edited by whosaidwhatwhen; 04-23-2012, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Firemedic 61 View Post
                            Broward Fire Academy is top notch. Stay away from Coral Springs' academy if you are coming down south.
                            Agreed! Coral Springs Fire Academy sucks!

Comment

Can you elaborate why you think that place sucks? Just asking because I was planning to attend that academy.

Comment

Good evening gentlemen,

I was hoping to bring this thread back to life. I just tested at my first fire department and made it pretty far but no dice. It was a long shot since I don't have EMT or Firefighter 1, or any other Fire experience for that matter (military experience was what I relied on during the interview). After meeting everyone at the PAT, I realized that it is necessary for me to get EMT/Firefighter, but am torn because of all of the different things I hear from different people.

-Some people are saying PBSC (it is no longer a cc) isn't great, but from what I can tell, their new facilities look amazing. I just watched a 27 minute video about their Fire Academy and it was pretty much all PT so I can't see how it would be any easier than any other fire academy. Has anyone been here since they built their new training tower?

-BFA seems to come highly recommended, but the website is really subpar and is very uninformative. It almost seems like its a club application. I get that a website has no correlation with the education, but it just comes off a little sketchy. Anyone have any personal experience here?

-Coral Springs seems to be hated the most by everyone who didn't go there, but loved by those who went there.

Has anything changed with these schools since the last post? I am new so am really looking for some solid straight forward advice. Thanks in advance.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X