• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Augustine...Citizen Concerned over lack of Fire Station in Bakersville

latest update: Saturday, August 30, 2003 at 11:47 PM EDT
    Letter: Fire protection uneven

Roy Miller
    St. Augustine

Editor: In the Aug. 21 St. Johns Connection there was an article about fire department funding.

It seems that the people in Ponte Vedra Beach think they will be carrying a "major burden" of the proposed increase in taxes for fire protection. They should, because they have most of the fire stations. Ponte Vedra Beach has four fire stations, station 1, station 9, station 10 and station 18.

I live in Bakersville and we have no fire station. Our station (station 4) has 1 volunteer that answers calls when he can. Station 4 only has one truck and no squad for EMS.

The last time anyone called rescue in our neighborhood it took them 24 minutes to get to Bakersville. The last fire we had, it took 27 minutes for the first truck to arrive.

Thank God it was only a garage on fire and not someone's house. All we could do is stand there and watch it burn down. I wonder what the response time is in Ponte Vedra Beach?

In the article it stated the terrific amount of taxes that are paid on a $200,000 home. Read the numbers carefully, the amount of increase the county is asking for is only 40 cents per 1,000 of value.

I don't see how someone that owns a $200,000 home is going to be able to handle this burden.

The last time a county-wide tax assessment was mentioned, the figure was about $150 per year per household. Why should people with no fire protection pay this? The present administration in fire/rescue is not responsible for this mess and is working with some of the commissioners to get a station and crew for neighborhoods without fire protection.

In the meantime let's all stay healthy and be careful with matches.

Roy Miller

St. Augustine
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X