Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearwater FD to get an additional Fire Station

Work on fire station to begin
    The $1.7-million contract is awarded and work on the project is scheduled for July 29.
    By JENNIFER FARRELL, Times Staff Writer
    © St. Petersburg Times
    published July 19, 2003

CLEARWATER - For years the city has promised a new fire station in the northwest section of the city, where a gap in coverage has long translated into slower response times.

Now Clearwater is about to deliver, with a new four-bay station equipped with its own advanced life support engine and fire and paramedic staff.

"It's overdue," Commissioner Hoyt Hamilton said Thursday, "and sorely needed."

Set to open next spring, the modern facility will be the first in the area and is expected to drastically shrink response times.

On Thursday, commissioners awarded a $1.7-million contract to David Geral Construction Co. in Tampa. Crews will break ground on the property July 29.

The project is running more than two years behind schedule, largely because it took the city far longer than expected to find the right property.

The station is scheduled to open in April 2004 on 1.5 acres of a 4.2-acre parcel at Overbrook Avenue and Betty Lane.

North Greenwood Association president Jonathan Wade, who has pushed for the new station, welcomed news of construction on Thursday.

"I think it'll be great as far as safety and response times," he said. "That will be a relief having it close by."

- Jennifer Farrell can be reached at 445-4160 or [email protected]
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X