Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Orlando 2015

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the girls have been gossipin again! I haven?t heard a thing about people getting called but there?s more rumors about the staffing of upcoming apparatus.

So we?re all awaiting the arrival of the new district 5 tower and the 12 hires to fill that truck up. But what we have heard now is that the HeavyHazMat might possibly go in service around the same time in a reserve engine so that the personnel can get used to working together and figure out their duties. This truck would possibly be back filled by hazmat tower FFers who?s spots would then be LEFT VACANT until the city approves $$ to hire more people. We have heard a disturbing rumor that the 5th position on all the towers and 6th on the heavy could go vacant to fill the new units, and then be left vacant up until an eventual elimination of that spot. THAT would suck. So hopefully they don?t do that. I?m fine having vacancies that could be filled later, thus creating OT. But eliminating spots turns my tummy. Anyways, good luck to yous who got a call, if that indeed happen. Hopefully we?ll keep on expanding and hire all you hopefulls!

Later...

Comment

Was there any validity to the rumors of them calling for / doing panel interviews a few weeks ago?

Comment

Originally posted by gpk321 View Post
        Was there any validity to the rumors of them calling for / doing panel interviews a few weeks ago?
        I don?t know what rumor you have heard. What I personally heard is that they called to offer jobs for the 12 positions required to put a new tower in service. However, more than half of the 12 called TURNED THE OFFER DOWN!! People were hesitant to get hired by a department that is talking about reducing staffing, I imagine.

I sure hope OFD can pull themselves out of the rut they are in. What ever happened to the term ?leave it BETTER than you found it?? Going to 3 man engines is a step in the wrong direction if you ask anyone, except the admin I guess. Who knows. Maybe they are working on a plan to keep the staffing or even increase our current 3 man engines (5 of the 18 engines) to 4. THAT would be a good idea.

But it back to the point, yes I believe people were called, offered jobs and SOME of them accepted. There might be a few more interviews scheduled soon...

Comment

Originally posted by Ti11er View Post

I don?t know what rumor you have heard. What I personally heard is that they called to offer jobs for the 12 positions required to put a new tower in service. However, more than half of the 12 called TURNED THE OFFER DOWN!! People were hesitant to get hired by a department that is talking about reducing staffing, I imagine.

I sure hope OFD can pull themselves out of the rut they are in. What ever happened to the term ?leave it BETTER than you found it?? Going to 3 man engines is a step in the wrong direction if you ask anyone, except the admin I guess. Who knows. Maybe they are working on a plan to keep the staffing or even increase our current 3 man engines (5 of the 18 engines) to 4. THAT would be a good idea.

But it back to the point, yes I believe people were called, offered jobs and SOME of them accepted. There might be a few more interviews scheduled soon...
          Appreciate the response, but hit the nail on the head with what rumors I was referring to, can?t believe that many guys turned down a position... unreal... hope I?m one of the next ones they call! We will see. Stay safe.

Comment

would it be a bad idea at this time to accept the offer despite everything that's happening?

Comment

Originally posted by natescuts View Post

would it be a bad idea at this time to accept the offer despite everything that's happening?
              YES

I personally would still accept the position. There just is not another department around who runs the way we do. Aggressive attack, actual truck functions on the fire ground. So many different special teams to be a part of.

The current crap going on with the staffing doesn?t directly affect the in house dynamic. (If they reduce to 3 man engines it is messing with FIREGROUND dynamics). This is still the best job in the world and if your given the chance to work for OFD, it one of the best FDs in the world.

What it it all comes down to is you. Where do you want to work. I can still say I?d take it here over anywhere else in the state!

Comment

YES

I personally would still accept the position. There just is not another department around who runs the way we do. Aggressive attack, actual truck functions on the fire ground. So many different special teams to be a part of.

The current crap going on with the staffing doesn?t directly affect the in house dynamic. (If they reduce to 3 man engines it is messing with FIREGROUND dynamics). This is still the best job in the world and if your given the chance to work for OFD, it one of the best FDs in the world.

What it it all comes down to is you. Where do you want to work. I can still say I?d take it here over anywhere else in the state!
                Copy thank you I just wanted to be sure

Comment

Please don't let the political actions and alterior motives of the chief ( read: CHIEF, not admin) from accepting a job with OFD, let's be real this is still a no brainer...once again: Chief: Not his staff...

Comment

Originally posted by VESmedic View Post
                    Please don't let the political actions and alterior motives of the chief ( read: CHIEF, not admin) from accepting a job with OFD, let's be real this is still a no brainer...once again: Chief: Not his staff...
                    Let me apologize about the apparent confusion in my previous posts. To natescuts my initial response to "would it be a bad idea to take the job" should have been NO! i.e. it's NOT a bad idea. This is still the best place to work, as the rest of the post reiterated.

As for the admin comment, I should have specified. There are a few people at the top of this administration that are directly involved in the train wreck. I wouldn't call it ulterior motives when these few select individuals have flat out said we need to drop manning... Some of them right on the TV. Fortunately these guys don't really interact directly with the day to day firefighters. So we just HEAR about all their antics. It's more than just 1 guy making all these waves though. Anyone who says otherwise is either in denial, or has ALTERIOR motives.
                    Last edited by Ti11er; 03-23-2018, 03:41 PM. Reason: quote's and apostrophes keep showing up as question marks...

Comment

Do you know if they called anyone else on the list yet for those positions that were turned down?

Comment

Do you know if they called anyone else on the list yet for those positions that were turned down?
                        Yes, there are currently 12-15 people (not sure the number yet) getting fitted etc and starting orientation April 1st I believe.

Comment

Yes, there are currently 12-15 people (not sure the number yet) getting fitted etc and starting orientation April 1st I believe.
                          Copy... thanks... any talk about hosting another test in the near future? I?m curious if that list is going to expire soon...

Comment

Copy... thanks... any talk about hosting another test in the near future? I?m curious if that list is going to expire soon...
                            Hiring process opens from May 5th to May 13th. Good lucky to everyone.

P.S. we had a class start on the 23rd that should come out June 4th, which is also the day T15 should go in service.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. Are they hiring off of this list? Or is this to re-establish a list. What's the story with them wanting to cut staffing?

Comment

Originally posted by CFfirefighterEMT7 View Post
                                Thanks for the heads up. Are they hiring off of this list? Or is this to re-establish a list. What's the story with them wanting to cut staffing?
                                I've been hearing all along that the test is June 11 and the first people from that test should start sometime EARLY 2019 (January?). However, I just heard yesterday that the chief is worried about overtime costs. They want to expedite the process and start people as early as this coming October. If that's the case it would be the fastest hiring process we've had ever at OFD. Even taking into account when we were under the SAFER grant and had 30 days to fill vacancies when they appeared.

Tower 15 is set to go in service July 1st, around the time the last group finishes orientation. Even with the new hires that came on we are still about 30 or so open positions NOT counting everyone going out for various reasons this year.

It's another great time to be testing for OFD. Good possibility there could be 50 or more hired from this list. So study hard, get that PT in and come take the test. Give it your 100% effort, but expect to be challenged. It's hard for a reason, so that everyone starts on an even field. Your career after that is up to you. Good luck on the 11th.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse

Lower 728x90