Fire testing fees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire testing fees

I'm really quite sick of hearing of FD's passing testing fees off to applicants. It's almost just as bad as the airlines. Does anyone know if police depts do this? Or heard of any other jobs laying all these fees?

No, but it seems like its become another form of revenue for departments with the economy the way it is. Sad....

Comment

that the way it is....departments are suffering financially and it is expensive to do a hiring test.....You have instructors and dept personnel that have to be present and they require pay for there time.....this all adds up...so when you can just go to a testing facility and pay 100 or so for a test that multiple dept will take then the benefit is saving the dept that cost....and in some cases you as the candidate only have to take one test so long as the dept your applying for accepts it......if you dont wanna pay thats fine...there are 1000's of people looking for a job that will pay it.....thats how the dept will look at it
      42-B "The Night Train"

Comment

that "one" test is only good for Pinellas County...so it's great if you only want to work there, and apply to dept's looking to hire 1-2 people usually. I'd rather expand my horizons, suck it up, and pay for multiple test's to take for many different dept's. I think the odd's are far better for hire. I think the odd's of being hired off the fireteam video/cpat are crap. Unless it's a large dept looking to pick up a lot of people.
        FireMedic

Comment

Alot of other costs are associated with testing as well. Travel expenses, food, gas, lodging etc, time off work. Yea I agree there are thousands of smoes out there looking for jobs and WILL pay to take dozens of tests hoping to be in that 5 of 1000. Doesn't make it any more right. Being as this is the ONLY industry I know of to do that, after they have already gone through fire standards and become paramedics at there own expense which is pretty backwards from the rest of the country.

Skills are taught, tests are studied for. Want to find REAL, GENUINE, good candidates? try doing a aptitude test like the military ASVAB, along with a good interview not a 5 question interview...

Just my 2 cents, already got a job.

Comment

Originally posted by quickstangsvt302 View Post
            that "one" test is only good for Pinellas County...so it's great if you only want to work there, and apply to dept's looking to hire 1-2 people usually. I'd rather expand my horizons, suck it up, and pay for multiple test's to take for many different dept's.
            I agree that the CPAT/FireTeam through NTN is mainly for Pinellas Cty now, but that should be changing as time goes by. I have heard that Tampa is going to it, Hillsborough County has already gone to it, and Chief Lanning (the man in charge of the program through PTEC) has been approaching larger departments all around Florida.

When I was applying places, I applied everywhere within 2 hours, paid for gas, food, took time off of work, and I think it helped. I was a lot more prepared for the NTN cpat and written test when I took it. However, it was a major pain in the butt. I was so glad to be able to take one test and one CPAT and apply to a number of departments.

Originally posted by quickstangsvt302 View Post
            I think the odd's are far better for hire. I think the odd's of being hired off the fireteam video/cpat are crap. Unless it's a large dept looking to pick up a lot of people.
            I don't agree with this, however. Obviously the odds differ depending on the person, but I think it was the best thing for me. I did pretty well on the test and got two different jobs from it. One was a small department (I was the only 1 hired out of 500) and the other was a medium sized department that I now work for. Also, I was in the top 58 in HCFR's process and scheduled to do an interview but removed my application when I got the job offer from the dept I'm with now.

I also got two jobs the hard way, by taking time to do every step in each departments process. One was with a small department about 90 mins north of me, and the other was a job offer from Tampa which I turned down.

Originally posted by flfirebuff86
            Being as this is the ONLY industry I know of to do that, after they have already gone through fire standards and become paramedics at there own expense which is pretty backwards from the rest of the country.
            It is definitely not the only industry to charge for job applicants, or the only industry to require you to get all of your certs before applying. It may be different from the rest of the country, but it does help set Florida apart from the rest of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by flfirebuff86 View Post
              Alot of other costs are associated with testing as well. Travel expenses, food, gas, lodging etc, time off work. Yea I agree there are thousands of smoes out there looking for jobs and WILL pay to take dozens of tests hoping to be in that 5 of 1000. Doesn't make it any more right. Being as this is the ONLY industry I know of to do that, after they have already gone through fire standards and become paramedics at there own expense which is pretty backwards from the rest of the country.

Skills are taught, tests are studied for. Want to find REAL, GENUINE, good candidates? try doing a aptitude test like the military ASVAB, along with a good interview not a 5 question interview...

Just my 2 cents, already got a job.
              I disagree, to an extent.

Having people pay for tests and making them get their certifications does help weed out the men from the boys. It gives you candidates who have shown initiative and are determined to get the job. Many fire departments are strapped on cash, and many get hundreds and thousands of applications for a few spots. Therefore, why is the department going to spend all this money to let people test who don't really care?

When I was going through hiring processes, I applied to everywhere within a 2 hour radius, and then every other "bigger" department outside of that radius. I paid for tests, I drove my car, I slept on couches and did whatever it took. I ended up getting 4 job offers all around the same time, and I had to stop the application process in a few more places once I chose where I wanted to go. I have friends of mine who have recently had to go back to Ocala to re-take their fire standards (its been 3 years) because they didn't want to pay to take a test here or drive with me to take a test there. Now they have to pay to go to Ocala to re-new their certification.

Comment

Originally posted by Deluge059 View Post
                When I was going through hiring processes, I applied to everywhere within a 2 hour radius, and then every other "bigger" department outside of that radius. I paid for tests, I drove my car, I slept on couches and did whatever it took. I ended up getting 4 job offers all around the same time, and I had to stop the application process in a few more places once I chose where I wanted to go. I have friends of mine who have recently had to go back to Ocala to re-take their fire standards (its been 3 years) because they didn't want to pay to take a test here or drive with me to take a test there. Now they have to pay to go to Ocala to re-new their certification.
                That sounds exactly like me. I have friends calling me now asking what they need to know about the hiring processes of the different departments that I either got a job offer with or were high up on their list. Two years ago these same friends told me that they didn't want to apply to these places cause they didn't want to drive there, work there, etc. Now they're scrambling for any job they can get.

Comment

Just becaue you paid for standards, EMT, medic, travel, gas, etc does not mean anyone owes you a job....No dept or city/county government gives a crap how much it has cost you to get to this point...they only care about the cost to them...i agree it is a great way to weed out those that dont care....i would say that and the driving record would weed out the most.....if you dont wanna pay then dont...there is thousands who will....keep in mind just in central FL there are about 7 schools pumping out 20-30 students a class with day and night classes each semester...do the math...and thats just in the 6 central FL counties.....the problem is a little about actual positions available but more about the number of out of work candidates.....its basic supply and demand and the departments have the choices....doesn't help that if you can afford school your in with no care if you can complete it or not
                  42-B "The Night Train"

Comment

Originally posted by e10pvmt View Post
                    Just becaue you paid for standards, EMT, medic, travel, gas, etc does not mean anyone owes you a job....No dept or city/county government gives a crap how much it has cost you to get to this point...they only care about the cost to them
                    100% true, hit the nail on the head.

keep in mind just in central FL there are about 7 schools pumping out 20-30 students a class with day and night classes each semester...do the math...and thats just in the 6 central FL counties
                    Add 4 for Dade, Broward and Palm Beach. And don't forget the 6-10 EMT and medic schools in our area pumping out as many people as they can. It's so bad here that even the private ambo's can afford to be picky and the few volly dept's are only picking up certified people.
                    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Lieutenant

Comment

Originally posted by Deluge059 View Post
                      I disagree, to an extent.
                      Having people pay for tests and making them get their certifications does help weed out the men from the boys. It gives you candidates who have shown initiative and are determined to get the job.
                      Sorry but that is not entirely true. What it does weed out those people with kids and families that can't afford to pay for the tests or take time off work to drive a few hundred miles to take them. I disagree with charging for testing because it limits a lot of the people that we want and leaves the door open for these kids who've only had a job at Publix and live with mommy and daddy and don't appreciate a thing. It also leaves the door open to another group of applicants who have done a great job destroying the fire service, fortunately it seems like it was a 10 or so year fad and appears to have ended.
                      If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Lieutenant

Comment

Some jobs need collge degree to get them

Some jobs you have to wear a suit everyday

Some jobs require tech training to get them

So it is not specific to the fire dept

A person will take the steps and effort and sacrifice to get a job they really desire
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Well, Tulsa, OK did it too. Though they give those on welfare an exemption.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic...A1_Citype33137

Comment

Guess if you are unemployed but not on welfare you have to pay the full ride

Maybe skip the hiring and academy and just put them on the job
                            Last edited by fire49; 04-26-2011, 04:04 PM.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Originally posted by Firemedic 61 View Post
                              Sorry but that is not entirely true. What it does weed out those people with kids and families that can't afford to pay for the tests or take time off work to drive a few hundred miles to take them. I disagree with charging for testing because it limits a lot of the people that we want and leaves the door open for these kids who've only had a job at Publix and live with mommy and daddy and don't appreciate a thing. It also leaves the door open to another group of applicants who have done a great job destroying the fire service, fortunately it seems like it was a 10 or so year fad and appears to have ended.
                              Actually it is true.
                              Being on the job means you're away from your family, kids, pets, etc. for at least 24 hours, maybe even 36 or sometimes 48. So saying that someone cannot take time off their family to go test, but then they are willing to work 24 - 48 hours is stupid.

Not being able to afford tests? Show me a test that costs more than $100 and i'll agree with you (not factoring gas or food). Food and gas can be cheap if you bring your own or ride with friends. You can always sleep in your car, etc.

Taking time off work? I also disagree, unless you're in the military or work on a crab boat. There is always a way.

Why does someone having a job, family and kids automatically make them " the people that we want?" I know a lot of guys who worked jobs before and have a wife and kids and they use the firehouse as a hotel and don't do a thing. I also know guys who "who've only had a job at Publix and live with mommy and daddy and don't appreciate a thing" that work their butts off and are very eager to learn and be a good firefighter.

Honestly, you sound like some salty old timer who sits at the table and just talks loudly. If someone REALLY wants this job and is "the best man for the job" then they will do whatever it takes to get the job.
                              Paying for a test or not paying for a test, there will still be slugs who get on and there will still be true jakes.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X