Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

FFI class and need PPE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFI class and need PPE?

I received a call from a friend of mine who just joined a volunteer FD in a neighboring town. He enrolled in a FFI class and needs PPE.

When asked him why his FD is not supplying PPE he stated the Chief told him that, if he passes, the FD would order him a new set, however, he needed to "call around" to find gear (except the SCBA) for the class.

I have been involved in FFI training for career and volunteer FD's for over 20 years and have never heard of this occurring.

For non-Connecticut people, here you must be a member of a fire department in CT to take a Fire Fighter I (or any other certification) class.

He also has to pay for the class and gets reimbursed after passing.

Has anyone else ever heard of this type of policy?
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Never heard of anything like that.. sounds like the town he is volunteering in doesnt have much faith in him. Most towns would supply their guys/girls with used gear...

Comment

I've never heard of this policy. Something doesnt sound right here at all. The department is opening themselves up to a whole host of liabilities. PM with the dept. I work with a lot CT Dept I wonder if this one of them

Cheers
      Matt

Comment

As a probie our department supplies us with servicable turnouts.

After you are established you usually get upgraded to new.

The also pay to send you to classes. If you don't show up and finish the class or continually are failing classes, and set a pattern, you put yourself "On the Radar " in that case you may have to foot the bill and get reimbursed later, which I think is fair.
        If I'm not here I'm on http://ctfire-ems.com/indexc.php

Comment

I was given a set of used but still in decent condition gear. about halfway through fire 1 if they see you are serious about it and arent going anywhere they get you fitted for brand new gear. Shorty after you complete fire 1 you get handed your brand new set of globe g xtreme gear.

Comment

FF1 and PPE

Our dept does this:

provide you with a set of gear the night you join. It may be used, but it is in good shape. When you pass FF1 and pass your probation, you are put on the list for a new set of gear.

as for the cost, the dept pays [municipal budget] and you sign an educational contract. If you fail or drop out or thrown out of a class, you pay the dept back.... saying that, there are some circumstances that you are required not to pay back. In most cases if you didnt burn your dept bridge, you didnt pay.

Comment

Originally posted by KenNFD1219 View Post
              I have been involved in FFI training for career and volunteer FD's for over 20 years and have never heard of this occurring.
              Same here. It's not uncommon for students to get issued older gear but it still has to be OSHA compliant and it is still the FD's legal responsibility to supply it -- not the student's.

Somebody needs to educate the Chief is this matter before it comes around and bites him in the backside.
              "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
              sigpic
              The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

[QUOTE=osfd100;803677]As a probie our department supplies us with servicable turnouts.

After you are established you usually get upgraded to new.

QUOTE]

This is the same thing that my department did with me, and usually is the norm from what I have heard.

Comment

Nope. Kind of shocked to hear it.

You might get old gear. You might even have to borrow gear from another FF (it's the FD's property, not the members) while new stuff is on order if...but you will get Department issued gear.

And if you show up to class at a local program or the regional school with gear that doesn't pass muster (normally checked first day of class by one of the ***'t Instructors...) your Chief should be expecting a call from the lead Instructor that evening.

Closest I've seen in my area to that situation is the EMT Extrication drill for the local community college which my Department's hosted since the 70s. We'll scrounge turnouts out of our used gear pile to loan to students who aren't affiliated with a FD they could get a set from.

And this ain't nothing new...I remember back in 1988 the reason I got upgraded from Cotton Duck & non-bump cap Leather to a Nomex coat & Salad Bowl was I had signed up for my first state class. Still had the 3/4s though

Comment

When I was a volunteer, my department required you to pay for the class and then they would reimburse you if you passed your class. They did, however, supply you with all the necessary PPE for the class.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X