Closer or Quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closer or Quality

I saw this on the other website and thought I would ask it here.

When calling mutual aid, How many feel it is nescessary to call the closest department?

Have you ever thought of going to a department a little further away to get better qualified / trained FF's or more modernized and up to date equipment instead of calling the closest?

My thoughts... Unless its a huge difference (Many Minutes) go with the quality!!!
    If I'm not here I'm on http://ctfire-ems.com/indexc.php

Depends on what the need is. Do you need man power or a 110 ft stick. Do you need ALS instead of BLS? Do you need tankers or pumpers?

Comment

Only when we require something that the further away department provides that the closer one doesn't, such as RIT.
      Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Crankshaft & NM

Lets say you need a 110' stick.
        Lets say there is 1) 5 Miles away and 1) 8 Miles away. The one 8 Miles away has the better reputaion on and off the fireground. The one 8 Miles away has a reputation for a good training program and better roof and ladder ops, who do you call?

Lets say you need a pumper and manpower 1) 5 Miles away they have small turnouts & questionable response times" The other 8 miles away, good skills and good training, very reliable, who do you call.

To add a little extra suppose the one 8 miles away had to pass by the 5 mile away's station. Would that alter your decision?
        Last edited by osfd100; 03-10-2007, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Well, we don't have this dilemma here fortunately. However, i think we all know what the obvious RIGHT choice is. I just don't want to have to be the one to make it.
          Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

For the ladder I would want the closer one
            Last edited by crankshaft; 10-10-2007, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Crankshaft;

Thats just good marketing!!!
              You call them both and hopefully they will return the favor. Activity is good for moral.
              And if its mutual aid usually not as much paper work.

Comment

Let's all quit beatin around the bush and ask the real question here. If you're a paid department and you need to call mutual aid, do you call a volunteer dept. next door or another paid department further away and use the excuse of training. Someone obviously got skipped over during the last Hartford fire and is a little angry. The city of Hartford mutual aid plan goes all the way to Waterbury and New Haven and even into Mass. before they call a vlounteer dept.. My dept. went to do station coverage at the Hawthorne St. fire in 99' only because our Chief at the time was Hartford's ex Asst. Chief and called up and said not if they wanted us but WHERE do you want my engine and ladder.

Comment

jfaz,

Not positive, but i do not believe that was the triggered cause of this thread seeing it was started from someone in Old Saybrook. I may be wrong though.

Comment

KVFC803 is correct my question has nothing to do with Career vs Volunteer!!!

It makes no difference to me whether they get their training printed on the back of their pay check or in the classroom.

Comment

Originally posted by osfd100 View Post
                      KVFC803 is correct my question has nothing to do with Career vs Volunteer!!!

It makes no difference to me whether they get their training printed on the back of their pay check or in the classroom.
                      Cracks like that don't exactly make your first statement seem all that credible.

Hypotheticals aside, you call mutual aid to supply whatever it is you need on the scene. How you make that decision should be up to the IC and standing SOPs developed long in advance.

(And yes, Career vs Volunteer is a factor in making that decision to any competant IC. It shouldn't be the only factor but to claim that it isn't a factor at all is disingenuous.)
                      "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
                      sigpic
                      The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

My point is Career vs Volunteer is not the focus of my question!!!!And I didn't want this thread to be the start of another "Beat the Dead Horse Syndrome".

I hope you can appreciate that....

Comment

Where I work we call Hartford 1st (because they are right next door) and the next closest after that paid or volly. I will tell you that this is not the case when our neighbor volly's need help. They NEVER call us paid guys. Newington has called Cromwell and not us. Does this make sense? Take the BIG Windsor fire - PERFECT EXAMPLE!!!!! Not a paid dept. to be seen anywhere! Why? It's the good 'ol boy syndrome. Hartford calls who they know will come with what they want.
                          IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Comment

For your information, Newington has called and continues to call West Hartford for mutual aid when it is on that side of town or in despiration. Cromwell is part of the 5 town task force (which is overused) with Wethersfield, Rocky Hill, and Berlin. They all get called if the situation should warrent it. I dont even live in Newington anymore and i know this.

Comment

I actualy like your task force idea and think it's a pro-active way to deal with the day time shortage of man power. But I have been on for many of your fires and never been called for coverage. You guys might want to rethink how this task force is utilized. The few times I've been to a job in Newington is when we were dispacthed from a cell caller who didn't know they were in Newington. (Border Box). I'm not knockin Newington guys, just questioning if they make the best desision for the citizen and there own safety. They come to us for almost every 2nd alarm to at least cover.
                              IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X