Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Pumping Cellars / Mixed Emotions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pumping Cellars / Mixed Emotions

With the heavy rains yesterday our department did a few pumping details
    Does your dept. pump cellars?
    Some departments around us have given it up all together.

Over the years we appear to have gone from pumping out everything, to flooded basements that are about to create a hazard with the utilities like power and heat.

I have mixed emotions. Yes it is not the fun and excitement that I signed up for, in fact it gets down right boring.

What bothers me is as you arrive at the houses that are last on the list and the homeowner comes out with "Took you Long enough". I feel like telling them to do it themselves or buy or fix their sump pump!!!!
    Then there are the ones that won't even say "Thank You" as your leaving.
    Lets not forget the ones that we do after every big storm. I'm at the point that I'm going to recommend at our next meeting that we give out sump pumps in addition to smoke detectors.

Then there is the little old lady on the fixed income that is so appreciative and would give you the sweater off her back.
    I also feel bad for the people who have major damage / cracking of their basement floors and you know they can't afford to fix it.
    I also can't loose site of the fact that the water is as damaging as if the people had a fire.

Just venting... Wish it was snow instead of rain
    Last edited by osfd100; 03-03-2007, 10:06 AM.
    If I'm not here I'm on http://ctfire-ems.com/indexc.php

We will only pump a basement if the electrical utilities are compromised. You are right though about people not appreciating what the fire departments provide to these communities, especially the volunteers. I am not sure how these people would appreciate their mill rates going up 10 to 12 mills to provide paid services in these towns. They complain about taxes as it is.

Comment

As much as pumping basements sucks, no pun intended it is still part of the job. No its not running into a burning building and grabing the baby and single handedly knocking down the fire it is important. There are pleanty of people that may not be physically able to pump out their basements. No it is not a life or death situation but the majority of the people that you do pump them out for are extreamly greatful because they cannot do it themselvs. If they could they wouldn't have called in the first place. Perhaps what you could do is like you said, give out pumps. That gets kinda expensive. Better yet next time you are there offer to take a look at the existing pump and see if there is a clog or something that you can fix while you are there. This makes the "customer" happy and it makes you happy because it is one less basement you have to pump next time around. I don't know what kind of department you are from; paid or vollie. Personally I am from a volunteer department and that is what we do and ususally it is something very simple that we can fix. Maybe you could bring that up at your meeting as well. Just my thoughts.

Comment

Its part of the job. CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Comment

Fortunately with the exception of a single commercial building, we don't have "repeat customers" for water problems. The commercial guy calls when his four existing large sump pumps are losing the battle.

I really don't mind them -- it's a legitimate problem and if we have tools or equipment to help (sump pumps or portable pumps...I don't believe in using apparatus for it), let's help. It only takes one or two guys in a POV pickup to handle.

Several years back we had a 7" rain storm one afternoon. One pour guy had a 12" culvert under his driveway that couldn't handle the flow...I pulled up to investigate the call, in some good luck the guy was a Mason by trade and had a big pile of sand. He was watching the water level in his yard rise closer and closer to the casement windows. Ran back to the station, grabbed sandbags, and myself, another FF I snagged at the station, and the homeowner sandbagged his driveway. Managed to avoid a major flood of his basement -- my math said we were diverting 7,500gpm from his front yard.

Another good feeling call that evening was a woman with about 9" and rising in her basement. Short conversation, "I have a curtain drain...this has never happened before..." Went out back with her and a flashlight and found the drain outlet -- and removed the thick layer of leaves covering it. Works much better without them

Same night was the only person whose ever annoyed me -- she was obviously bent out of shape when I walked on her hardwood floors with my 3/4s on...so I already suspected something wasn't right. Open the basement door and I see dry concrete...walk down to find a whopping 20 square feet in one corner is wet. She was not happy to hear, "Nothing we can do, call us when it's 6" high."

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X