No announcement yet.

CT fire academy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turk, I'll bet they will just buy more beds. Some of the rooms had 2 beds(not bunk beds), when I was there. It will probably be 2 guys per room, which ain't bad at all. Still quiet enough to read your assignment for the night, and do the workbook questions.
    Like Ken said, there will be a group that goes out partying all the time. It's up to you if you join in or not, just remember, the instructors will have no mercy on you, and PT blows with a hangover. Some guys mistakingly think they are back in the fraternity house, others have never been away from mommy and daddy and they cut loose when they get there, Don't be one of those guys because the instructors will straighten you out.
    Don't bring a flashlight, knife, rope, webbing, tools, etc. You won't need any of it, and they won't let you use any of it.The only thing you need is your full PPE. You can bring a TV, small refridgerator, etc. I had a portable DVD and ipod which kept me from going nuts.
    Don't bring a bunch of uniforms, bell cap, tie, coat, etc. You walk in wearing a uniform on the first day and that's it. They give you 3 red t-shirts that you will wear from then on with either PT gear or uniform pants. You won't wear your uniform shirt again until graduation, or god forbid, a funeral. Go up there now and buy yourself some Fire Academy sweatpants and a sweatshirt, they only give you one pair of shorts which don't help when it's 10 degrees outside.
    Post anything else you want to know, happy to help.....

Comment

By the way, Congratulations to those of you that will be in class 38!! Enjoy it, the 10 and a half weeks goes by very fast, and believe it or not, you will miss it a little when you leave.

Comment

puplepants8,
        Don't kid yourself they said they would change the pants 15 years ago when I was there. It will never happen!!! You will be the burgandy brigade forever!!! Vern loves that you stand out from all the other EMS companies.

Congrats to class 38 from class 12!
        IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Comment

Originally posted by TurkII View Post
          That doesn't fix the bunking problem though! I don't know if they're going to double up everyone in each bunk room or have people stay off site???????????
          With any luck it will encourge them to drop the mandatory "sleep at the academy" rules. Originally it was optional to stay at the Academy during recruit school except for one or two weeks for night classes. It's only been recently that all recruits were required to stay there for the whole course.
          "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
          sigpic
          The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

Down to 68

The class size is down to 68. Stamford dropped their guys out. And they are bunking up 2 to a room> this is from one of the lead instructors that I work with

Comment

Hey Mycareer, are you referring to Holy Mustache, IT?

Comment

Good luck with all the hands on with 70+.

Comment

Purplepants have you heard anything yet?

Comment

Originally posted by callaway75 View Post
                    The instructors from Hartford are a great bunch of guys, pay attention because they know their s##t.
                    Just because they are from Hartford does not mean they should be idolized or the other instructors aren't as good.

Beware of the 2 and 20 instructors...they aren't as respected among their peers as you might think!

Comment

Just waiting for my background to go thru. He has called about 20 people but insists on calling more. So just waitng on him really.

Comment

September Class

Any news on the September class? What is being added to extend it 4 weeks?I would also like to hear any input from guys currently in the academy. What do you think so far?

Comment

I heard that the big push for the 14 week program was to have more company operations days. And I think less night classes.

Should be interesting, I predict there will be more hands on but more between the recruits.

Comment

Some really great info here. Thanks for the posts. So the Sept. class could be 14 weeks? What about the weekends? Is it only Monday thru Friday training?

Comment

No weekends or holidays. Weekdays only...

Comment

thanks callaway75. Are all uniforms provided at the academy?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X