Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JAFA62
    replied
    Ontario lacks fire fighting training. If you dont get it from your F.D. trying to find a company that teaches a decent course is hard. Your right there is no funding. The OFM has a guideline which we must follow. However most follow the NFPA and so they should. Id just like to see a 1 week event full of courses. Im a career firefighter Im not rich by any means to go to the EAST or West for training. Thanks for the Info I know it will be hard just testing the waters 1st.

Leave a comment:

• ndvfdff33
    replied
    There are FDIC's in Canada because we have one on the East Coast which is generally held in Wolfville, NS every year...Very informative and a good time to go kick back and meet guys from all over

heres a link

http://www.fdic-atlantic.ca/
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 11-29-2006, 08:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mcaldwell
    replied
    Originally posted by JAFA62
    Being a fire fighter in Canada is great. The only problem I have is that the Schools and training SUCKS. So I was thinking about setting up a Fire fighting school which will specialize in Technical Rescue. Rope, Haz-Mat, Confined Space, Water Rescue, RIT & Survival.. I'd like for it to be like an FDIC which the Americans have. I spend to much money and time going State side to learn when Canada should do the Same. If you want a course in Ontario you need to attend the Ontario Fire College which is ok but lacks hands on training or take a course with a company which could take months to finish. So for all you Canadian Boys and Gals lets come up with something here. I was thinking a 1 week course and you pick the subject etc. Have any ideas let me know..
    Huh?

Things must be rough back there in Ontario. Canada leads the way in a lot of those topics.

RIT and FAST is still a relatively young specialty up here, but out here in BC, we get the best of the best when it comes to Ropes/THARR, SRT, and Confined Space. Not to mention that Fire Etc, and the Alberta Fire School are internationally recognized in many topics.

I think we could always use more options (i.e. competition) to make it cheaper and more frequent, but I think there is definitely good training to be had.

I think the biggest difference between us and the US is the fact that many US states enforce a minimum training standard (i.e. NFPA 1001, or at least minimum hours), which drives the training industry. Also, there are abundant federal grant systems down there to help departments maintain a higher standard.

Until Canada adopts similar standards and financial aid/incentives, you will have a tough time finding widespread interest and support for FDIC scale programs.

But good luck with it.

Leave a comment:

• LarryTaylor
    replied
    school

I have lots of ideas. I also have 33 yrs. in the fire service. Eleven of those as a Training Officer. If you contact me we will possible take this further. Remember there are many colleges out there doing this.

Leave a comment:

• JAFA62
    started a topic Fdic Canada?

Fdic Canada?

Being a fire fighter in Canada is great. The only problem I have is that the Schools and training SUCKS. So I was thinking about setting up a Fire fighting school which will specialize in Technical Rescue. Rope, Haz-Mat, Confined Space, Water Rescue, RIT & Survival.. I'd like for it to be like an FDIC which the Americans have. I spend to much money and time going State side to learn when Canada should do the Same. If you want a course in Ontario you need to attend the Ontario Fire College which is ok but lacks hands on training or take a course with a company which could take months to finish. So for all you Canadian Boys and Gals lets come up with something here. I was thinking a 1 week course and you pick the subject etc. Have any ideas let me know..

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X