Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Canada versus USA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada versus USA

Wondering what your feeling are on the differences between Canadian Fire Departments and American Fire Departments? Are there things we as Canadians should be doing which the Americans are already doing? How can we improve?
    Whatever it takes, NO MATTER THE SACRIFICE!!!!

Never Forget 9/11

How about the other way around?

Comment

ok how so then? if you want it the other way?

Never Forget 9/11

Comment

What differences?

The difference is they have more large cities than we do! Which in turn results in higher call volume and more incidents. Other than that I have worked with firefighters from the United States and they do the same job as we do. Slight differences in some techniques but the same could be said about other fire departments in Canada. Lets not turn this into who is better than who thread.

Michael

Comment

I wasn't trying to have this thread turn it into who is better. I was just curious if there was some differences in the way things are done.

Never Forget 9/11

Comment

Both organizations are based on the para-military model The British military in our case and the American in the US, so naturally there will be those differences. Other then that each Dept has its own idiosyncrasies. My Dept probably operates quite differently then our counterparts in Victoria 4000 miles away
            A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Comment

Abrouwer, are there some differences you would like to point out, or some other questions about techniques you have heard?

Other than fire fighting it is pretty simple - departments are built around the jobs they can handle. Thats why each department is different or has other ideas on how to do things. The other thing is the lack of mandatory training (Canada and the US). Without a set quideline that departments have to adhere to you will see all sorts of different response models.

Is that what you are looking for?
              -I have learned people will forget what you said,
              -People will forget what you did,
              -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Comment

I have no differences to point out. I asked the question because in my research of common interview questions I came across this one.

"American fire services are much more diverse than Canadian services. What are some of the areas we should expand our services?"

I wasn't sure of an answer for it which is why I started this post.

Never Forget 9/11

Comment

Canada vs. USA

I don't think it is a matter of diversity, I think it is more based around supply versus demand. The US have a much higher population than Canada and each department will have a higher demand for some of the services required than Canadian departments. Our department covers approximately 600 square miles of land and a population of around 7000. We average 85 calls per year. The same department in the US could have a population base of 3-4 times larger in the same land area. This would increase your call volume greatly and demand more training, equipment, and manpower to deal with the volume of calls.

Comment

That doesn't make any sense, there are few Fire Depts in North America any bigger then Toronto's
                    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Comment

I hear ya Smoke.

Comment

Social / Economic factor's

I attended a Grow-Op Clan lab awareness session last night put on by the Calgary FD Hazmat team. (great presentation by the way)

The volume's of these types of calls in Canada appeared to be significantly less than what similar juristictions in the US were.

I'm wondering how many medical assist / hazmat calls are generated due to drug use and production? Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton all somewhat open drug trades and likely deal with an increased volume. In my rural area, I've seen 1 grow op in 8 years... and only because it caught fire.

Anyone in smaller cities/towns seeing this stuff?

It seems to me that the Yank's (even in rural areas) are dealing with significantly more volume of drug production / use related work.
                        SRFD905 - Serving since 1998

*~-|EGH|FTM|-~*

Comment

I have a problem with the question put
                          forward in this thread....

It seems to imply that the Canadian
                          Fire Service is lagging behind.

The truth is we have as much to offer the U.S. as they can to us Canadians.

One cannot say having shiny new trucks for
                          the parade makes a better dept.

I work for the 2nd largest dept. in Canada
                          and and have taught at a Fire School in the north eastern U.S. for 10 years.

We Canadians tend to see ourselves as
                          doing less than our friends to the south.

From my experience this is Totally False.

Stay safe...and hold your head high.

Comment

I learned everything I needed to know about Canada by watching "Canadian Bacon" starring John Candy. Dan Akroyd's bit part as the motorcycle cop was the best part.

lol j/k
                            You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
                            - - - - - -
                            I A C O J

Comment

It seems to me ( and I'm certainly no expert) that our U.S. counterparts tend to use larger lines especially at some of your "smaller" fires where we would use smaller lines: eg: vehicle fires.
                              It seems there are more aerials and quints in use in more rural locations. Hard to really tell but I've followed links to websites to see what some stations have.

I don't know if this is true because it came from a CAFS salesman BUT:

The U. S. is apparently WAY behind us in the use of CAFS; particularly in rural areas.

I should qualify that statement with the understanding that he was trying to get us to trade in our truck and he said the U.S. is a great market for used CAFS units because "they are only really starting to catch on now."

Again, this is what I have seen on the 'net and heard from ??reliable?? sources. I can't prove a dang thing
                              IACOJ
                              If you are willing to teach;
                              I am willing to learn.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse