Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Calgary Fire Fighter Training Program "C"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calgary Fire Fighter Training Program "C"?

So, I found an ad in the Career section of the Calgary Sun on the weekend advertising for a Fire Fighter Training Program "C". It is a partnership between the Calgary Fire Dept. and fire etc. Basically the ad says:

This program consists of a six week self-study followed by seven weeks practical training and provides certification in:

NFPA 1001 Fire Fighter Professional Qualifications Levels I & II
    NFPA 472 Hazardous Materials Response - Awareness and Operations
    NAPD Driving and First Aid/CPR Level "C".

Application deadline is May 13, 2005.

I fugured I would post this and find out if anyone else has heard about this or knows anything about it. I am hoping to get a chance to call the number provided in the add to find out more information, which I can post when I find out more.
    _______
    "There is no expiration date on your birth certificate, so make every day count" - William Phelps from "Lethal Guardian"

Thinkin this is one of the regular courses fire etc does - taylored to Calgary's needs. The course will be mandatory next year for applicants!
    Dave
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Comment

ah ha, the truth comes out

Well I just phoned the number on the ad, and yup, it is a course specifically designed for the Calgary Fire Dept. for next year, and to help out with this year's applicants too I guess. I also found out that on top of the course fees, there is another application fee for the physcial fitness and aptitude test done by Calgary. So in total, the full amount is $8,400.00 roughly, not including taxes, meals, or accomodations if needed (and if I heard correctly). Yikes! Thanks Dave, your right as usual!
      _______
      "There is no expiration date on your birth certificate, so make every day count" - William Phelps from "Lethal Guardian"

Comment

Ideal candidate?

While we are on the subject...

Does anyone know what the 'ideal' candidate demographic / training / experience overview looks like?

ie.
        25 - 35
        EMT
        1001's
        4 years volly exp.
        Journeyman electrician

(These aren't my stats)

Randy
        SRFD905 - Serving since 1998

*~-|EGH|FTM|-~*

Comment

So does this mean that the City of Calgary will only be hiring out of this program now?
          How exactly does it work, do you have to go through Calgary's recruitment before you can go to school (test, physical, interview, polygraph etc?)
          I hope they still hire people who already have 1001, 472 and all that jazz but just didnt take thier program...
          my .02

Comment

Well right now I know a fellow who is going through the app process with Calgary Fire and he has absolutely no fire experiance what so ever. But he is an EMT and he is going for the interview in 2 weeks i think. As far as I have heard 1001 will be a pre requisite for Calgary Fire next year but you wont have to take " thier" course as far as I know. As far as the IDEAL demographics for applicant go there is a little information on the CFD website that I seen. And alot of it now has to do with that Personal Disclosure document that they have implemented.
            Dave Burn
            (EMT-P Student)
            Effort only fully releases it's reward on someone who refuses to quit!

Comment

I have first hand experience with Calgary's program and can answer a few of your questions. Yes 1001 will be a prerequisite for Calgary in 2006 but only on a trial basis. Getting this course does not give you a guarantee into Calgary's hiring process and Calgary will not hire exclusively from the Calgary course roster. If you get the C certification you will still have to go through the entire hiring process.

The course is very well done and well worth the money. If you went to Vermillion and took the course, all the same lodging expenses would apply. Personally I think the Calgary course is a better option.

Comment

Clarifying a rumor

I heard a rumor that Calgary has recinded thier stance on 10-01 as a pre req for 2006 class as they have found that since stating this thier applications have dropped emensely. Just wondering if anyone has heard the same?
                Dave Burn
                (EMT-P Student)

Comment

Well I haven't heard that rumor but I am not surprised if is true. How many people walk around with $8,000.00 in their pockets to take a course like the one they are offering with fire etc....and even if you take the course, it won't guarantee anything. So you spend the money, and you may not even make it past the application process step...not my idea of a fun time. Its hard enough having to spend the money to get the CPR and EMR Certification and still not even have the chance of making it past the application step...just my $0.02 though.
                  _______

Comment

Hmmm no difference in taking the " c " course through Calgary Fire or taking your EMT. Niether one guaruntee you a job when you are finished, just depends on how bad you want the position and how much you are willing to sacrifice to get it.

If I could get the time off I would love to take the "C" course. ever since I left my old department i have missed it and have wanted to get my 10-01 finished up. We'll have to see what happens in the future. Have to flip a coin between Paramedic and 10-01's.
                    Dave Burn
                    (EMT-P Student)

Comment

hmmmmmm..

oh don't get me wrong, I would love to get my name on the roster, but between my full time job, two volunteer jobs, and my EMR course, there is no time to even think about getting a second job to try and come up with the money to pay for it. That and I would rather get more SCUBA courses under my belt to help me out as I am going to apply to the City this year anyways. But we will see, if I win the lottery I am taking everything I can get my hands on! lol

Actually, now that I stated it, since I can't afford the whole "c" course, would it be more benficial to me to take the odd fire course instead of more Scuba courses (I would want to specialize in that area)? Or is it really going to make that much of a difference, as dburnemti stated earlier in the tread, he knows a guy who has no fire experience who is/did the interview.
                      _______

Comment

Hey FFGURL,

No experience is ok with Calgary as you are tought their way. A general knowledge goes a long way though, so keep reading your essentials book and you will get a good idea of general operations.
                        Hows the EMR going?

Comment

its going..

Mental Note *keep studying*..lol...thanks Dave.

The EMR course is good. I am struggling quite a bit with the initial patient assessment steps, so that is holding me back. I have gotten together with a few classmates to try and go over it, but we are all remembering different bits and pieces, so I have to see the instructor this weekend (we are in class all day on Saturday) about doing a good clarification of those first initial steps. I write my first of many quizzes today, so we will see where I stand after that. Only 36 more modules to go till the course is finished ... lol
                          _______

Comment

If you need help with your assessments just give me a call. During ACP you will need a firm grasp of the pt assessment skills. Have you started in with the pneumonics yet (DCAPP,BLS,TIC,DRT, GOD ONLY KNOWS WHAT OTHER ONES THEY HAVE COME UP WITH).

Study hard

Comment

oh yes...

I may have to Dave, I hoping I can grasp it pretty quick once someone actually sits down or talks it through with me ...unfortunately the instructor won't. We just learnt about DCAPP, TIC and BLS last saturday, Im still trying to remember those too. I think I know those better than the assessment and I have never heard of them till last saturday. lol The testing centre is closed tonight so I can't do my exam..grrr...so tonight I am going to take some time and go through my book and do the steps for the patient assessment, I am hoping it helps.
                              _______

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X