Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

fire fighter recruitment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fire fighter recruitment

I have a fee questions for anybody that is on the edmonton or calgary fire department. I am pursuing a career in firefighting, 6 years of volunteering has gave me the reason to pursue my dream, anyways what do you reccoment I get for courses to become a recruit for either of these departments. I am working my *** off to get all the credentials I can so I can apply next spring, any help is very much appreciated.

Calgary has a very thorough explanation of what you need before you apply posted on their website (http://www.calgary.ca/cweb/gateway/gateway.asp)As far as certifications, you need as a minimum - High School Diploma, CPR, EMR within the last year (5 years if you are practicing) and a Class 5 licence. Most people who get hired also have FF2 (NFPA 1001 Level II) before they apply.
    Anyway, check out the website and good luck
    I.A.C.O.J. - Getting crustier every day

Comment

Yeah I have checked out both Calgary and Edmontons site I know what the min qualifications are I want some tips like getting 1001 Level 2. I would like to know what other courses most ppl get before applying to make the stand out in the stack of resumes. Thanks for the help.

Comment

I'll tell you the same thing I tell the guys around here that want to get in the job. Be prepared to travel. If your serious, don't limit yourself to applying to one or two Departments, apply to all that you can. Trust me you will have a much better chance
        A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Comment

hey heavyduty,

look at the extras that Calgary/Edmonton or any other dept has. (ie. Divers, High Angle, HazMat, Trench) Try that route if you want to standout above the rest. Checking the sites is one thing...talking to the training officer is another. Update your driver's to the highest you can get 1A, trades of any sort always help.

As far as classes...Vermillion offers courses...Brandon offers courses...Justice Institute in BC. Plenty of stuff to go for. Good Luck and like Smoke says don't limit yourself to just a couple departments.

Good Luck

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I have a course already booked in the spring for my scuba course. The nice thing about the fire department that I am at now is they will pay for all the training that applies to our local fire department, so that saves lots of money. I will be taking the fire courses at vermillion and also at our hall because the deputy cheif taught in vermillion. Any of you people that think I am taking advantage of the fire dept I am not the cheif knows my plans of becoming a career firefighter and he is still willing to pay for everything. Anyways keep the good info coming ppl. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Fire Department Hiring Processes

Heavyduty,
              Credentials are all fine and good, plus they are certainly neccessary to challenge for a spot with a career department. The fact is that standing out above the crowd to get your foot in the door is not important with the hiring process at the Calgary FD. Each file is handled individually and you will get a chance to prove your worth but you must come prepared because others certainly do. Lots of others, and they bring proof of positive past performance.

Courses may help in your quest, but the more important feature will be your ability to show positive trends in your life. Consider that a candidate can state all manner of great traits such as optimism and dependability. They can tell us that they are hardworking and able to problem solve while keeping a friendly professional demeanor, even while the world about them is in total chaos. Candidates will tell us pretty much anything they perceive we may want to hear. Credibility is the issue, what have they done to prove they are, as they are promising us?

Hiring is based on lowering the risk to an organization of buying unknown goods.(hiring a recruit)The more positive information you can provide to the hiring decision the less risk the candidate is to hire. Gone are the days of hiring based on a few attributes such as being a strong back and friendly fella.

Dive or trench rescue courses mean very little in the big picture of hiring an individual for a thirty year career. We will train a candidate who shows positive behaviours that fit within a department's criteria for abilities and decision making competencies. Are they adaptable, optimistic and personable? Has this person demonstrated they are accountable in their behaviours? The public sure expects it once you put them in a uniform? Have they demonstrated positive well rounded characteristics. An example is the issue of volunteering with a volunteer fire department. This is a great step for understanding a little about the career and giving back to the community. Yet all to often the candidate appears to be doing this to suck up to get hired for a career department. Candidate number two shows up at our door without a bunch of courses but volunteers for whatever cause which they personally truly believe in and it shows. They are learning other skills which may be things that training and fire courses could not cover off as well. Workplaces can't teach skills you mother should have taught you, but being involved with the community for the right reasons often does. Which person suits the job more? Well; consider the positive trend issue.

The CFD is expecting to hire in large numbers in the coming years and the NFPA 1001 certification will be a minimum qualification as of January 1 2006. I would ask any candidate to be certain the school you are paying your money to is offering you value beyond a simple certification. If they are promising that their training will be key to your success would you not wonder how many others were promise the same thing. The key for you will be to ask yourself this question....."what part of this do I own?" FD's have never hired personnel because of their technical skills. Personnel are choosen because they have a mix of positive attributes. Desire alone does not make a good organizational fit. Is your school offering training to build your understanding of the service needs beyond simply putting the wet stuff on the red stuff?

Once you apply for any department they will need evidence not only in words but in deed of your stated qualifications and attributes!!! Success will not come simply because you played a game of chase the certification. It will be because you understand how your attitude and behaviours are important to a FD. The last key will be your ability to provide proof in your presentation and that of your references that a department is buying a superior product.

Best of luck in your quest, stay safe.
              Last edited by eighteenatone; 11-09-2004, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Eighteenatone,

Excellent post. That is something every recruit should read.

Comment

Thanks Heavyduty

Thanks for starting this thread Heavyduty! I had the same question about getting ahead of the stack for the Calgary Fire Dept., and I did find some great help on the other threads, but this has been the best for help by far!

To those of you that posted replies...thank you very much! It helps not only the thread starter, but many of us who are looking at the same departments, and need that extra little advice to help us get to the top!

Hope you get into Calgary or Edmonton!!!

Ash
                  Last edited by wannabeFFgurl; 11-10-2004, 10:58 AM.
                  _______
                  "There is no expiration date on your birth certificate, so make every day count" - William Phelps from "Lethal Guardian"

Comment

That was by far the best advice I have gotten so far. Thanks eighteenatone.

Comment

great post eighteenatone

Comment

As a spark of hope to all you hopefulls for Calgary. Our dept. which will remain anonamous but is one of surrounding dept., has had 2 personel get hired in Calgary in the last year. Considering they were the only ones from our dept. who applied is a good sign. eighteenatone had awesomw comments, both of our personnel never had any certified training but have been onm our dept. a while.
                        GOOD LUCK

Comment

18, you have good advice & some good old common sense.

It's easy to say that fire departments are looking for people of good character;however,how does a person of character get off that huge stack of applications piled up on in the HR's office to the next level?

Minimum requirements are pretty tough here in the lower mainland for most of the departments. NFPA is a minimum, OFA III is pretty much a minimum..these are very hard minimums to achieve for someone who's raising a family.

But, these are minimums and without them, you'll never get off that floor of dusty applications.

I'm really curious as to the process that HR uses to weed out the first wave of app's. Do they really have that much time to carefully search through 700 applications (probably a minimum considering there are only 2 departments here that don't require the NFPA & OFA III as a minimum requirement)to determine which person has genuine character?

Or do they have a checklist and use a point system, take the top 50 recruits with points and move on? If yes, how can they possibly find a "character" candidate if he/she doesn't have that "Underwater/high angle/cave rescue" certificate needed to get in that top 50?

Just venting a little I guess, but it has been a little frustrating trying to pursue this dream of mine as I race the clock and try & somehow shine through all those competing "stacked" applications.

Again 18, good advice..only wish we had the same minimums here & maybe I'd get a fair crack.

It's all I'm asking for...

Comment

Is there a minimum age for being hired I will be 20 soon. As long as I present myself well enough will I have a chance at getting recruited.

Comment

min age requirements

Heavyduty,

In Calgary the minimum age is 18, so you are clear. I don't know about Edmonton, I tried looking but not very hard, but I am sure it is 18 as well, but double check to make sure.

Hard to say, all depends on what the FD is looking for I guess. Just practice everything from your answers to pral board questions (which I have been doing) to the workouts! All you can do is go for it and hope you make a good impression to get on.

Have fun!

Ash
                              Last edited by wannabeFFgurl; 12-16-2004, 11:56 PM.
                              _______
                              "There is no expiration date on your birth certificate, so make every day count" - William Phelps from "Lethal Guardian"

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X