Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

First Alarm Assignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Alarm Assignment

Canadian Brothers and Sisters:
    This question is for career departments.
    I would like to know what your First Alarm Assignment is for a reported structure fire in your city? What I am looking for is the total number of firefighters on the first alarm. It is important that your answer reflect the actual first alarm assignment and not subsequent requests for help.
    I would also like to know what is your minimum daily manning to get a percentage of your on duty personnel that responds to the initial alarm.
    Many thanks, here in Moncton we respond with 9 firefighters out of 21 on duty on the first report of a structure fire. This info is for a project i'm doing re NFPA 1710. Thanks again.
    Brian

Hey Brother, I was up your way at Memramcook for the conference last month.
    Our first response for structure fires within the city is 2 pumpers an aerial and a rescue,
    I Capt + 1 Driver + 2 F/F per pumper
    1 Lt + 1 Driver for Aerial devices
    1 Lt + 1 F/F Paramedic per Rescue

For a grand total of 12

In cases of fires in the downtown core(100+ yr old 3 story attached housing), with smoke showing on arrival the OIC will immediatly call for a third pumper plus a snorkel and the pick up from central, all of which will add 5 more personel but useually will not arrive till about 20 minutes after the initial call.

I've seen fires where more units were dispatched, but its very rare usually if they need more personel after that they will call in overtime or start rotating stations to the fire in order to provire fresh personel.

Comment

Brother, nice to hear that you are getting the ball rolling on NFPA 1710, just to respond to your question on a first alram we have respond :

Southside

2 pumpers with the minimum of of a driver, officer, and one FF (6)
      1 Rescue with a officer and a driver (2)
      1 ladder with only a driver (1)
      1 chase vehicle(platoon capt.) (1)

for a total of 10 people on the inital alarm. this is at min. manning. If we are lucky we might get 4 on each pumper for a total of 12.

Now the northside of the city is a little different. On the first alarm the have :
      1 tanker with a driver and an officer (2)
      1 quint with 1 driver , officer, and 2 FF's (4)
      1 ladder with 1 driver (1)
      1 chase vehicle with the platoon capt. for a total of 8. i have scene it as low as 5 on the initial alarm on the north side.

As you can see we aren't even close to the standard and are running skeleton crews that isn't very safe. I wish you the best of luck and i hope i was of some help to your question.

Comment

Its nice to hear from some of my fellow Atlantic firefighters on here, best of the season to you and yours

How about some other Depts?

Comment

BTW Engine, welcome to the forum

Comment

Thanks brothers
            Smoke, I hear a good time was had by all in Memramcook!!!
            And Engine, I met a couple of your brothers in St-John recently at a Hazmat seminar, nice people.
            A small part of my question is unanswered...what is your daily minimum manning?
            Again thanks and have a quiet holiday season.
            Brian

Comment

Sorry Brian, Minimum manning here is 35

Comment

Assignment

Here in Vaughan Ontario, minimum to a reported structure fire is:

2 Pumpers
                1 Rescue
                1 Aerial

All Pumpers/Aerials have minimum staffing of 1 Captain, 1 Driver and 2 Firefighters. The Rescue has a mim. staffing of 1 Captain, 1 Driver and 1 Firefighter but usually has 2 Firefighters.

As for minimum for the City, 32 for 6 stations (8 trucks).

Kevin
                Dispatcher Vaughan Fire & Rescue Service

Comment

Hey finaly a place to call our own!

Hey all,

I'm in Dieppe & we respond to first alarms as medical calls, so Fire calls come in as a Engine, Tanker, Aerial, Rescue & mutual aid if required. So I guess the minimum that we get is 3 full time members & the rest is volunteers that come in.
                  Joel

Lets never forget the events of 9-11

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

**And of course these are only my opinion and only mine. Don't take it out on anyone else but me.**

Comment

Hey Firelover, visited Dieppe a couple of months ago, met a couple of your paid guys. Nice little town reminds me a bit of the suburb where I live, except for the french thing of course.
                    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Comment

Smoke

Right on! Glad to hear you liked it! It's an awesome place to live! We finally got recognized as a city & we are amoung the fastest growing places!
                      Joel

Lets never forget the events of 9-11

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

**And of course these are only my opinion and only mine. Don't take it out on anyone else but me.**

Comment

Here in Mississauga we have a similar response as Vaughan.
                        2 pumpers (driver/Captain/firefighter or 2 or 3)
                        1 Aerial (as above)
                        1 Squad (as above)
                        1 DC

so the minimum # of firefighting staff on scene would be:
                        10 firefighters

Kev from Muskoka....give my regards to Scott R. Tell him Lilith says Hi!!
                        Communications Diva of the IACOJ, and proud member of the WOT!

Bagpipes: They put the fun back in funerals!!sigpic

Comment

CommDiva
                          I don't quite understand how your numbers add up to ten. Could you elaborate please. From what you posted, do you run with 2-man engines or ladders? Or is the minimum a 3-man engine/ladders? Is the squad manned the same as the others(3 men).
                          And, what is your daily minimum manning citywide?
                          Many thanks
                          Brian

Comment

First alarm here consists of:
                            2 pumps (captain,driver,2ff's on each)
                            1 aerial (LT and driver)
                            1 Rescue (LT and driver)
                            1 district chief and driver

14 ff's total including chief

If the call is downtown, first alarm consists of:
                            3 pumps(5 ff's on 2, 4 ff's on third)
                            2 aerials
                            1 rescue
                            1 hazmat (LT + 1)
                            2 district chiefs and drivers

26 ff's total including chiefs

Minimum daily staffing for the city is about 240 ff's.
                            Sometimes, in order to make an operation idiot proof, you must remove the idiot!

Comment

Cool restek, 26 bodies would be sweet
                              A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse