Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Donations and Grant Writing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donations and Grant Writing

Hello, im the 26 year old wife of a wildland firefighter/Volunteer Firefighter. I was recently asked to help with the asking of donations and the grant writing of for my Husbands Volunteer Dept.

The volunteer Dept will be puting me through Grant school in August but in the mean time I have been out in the community asking for donations of Water, sports drinks and other things that the Dept is in need of.

I have had little luck getting much of anything. Most stores and companies are cutting back on donations and some of the Large Corporations are only open to international requests....

My question is, if any of you have any suggestions/tips as to how to get more out of my community businesses. I have recieved some support but not what I was hoping for.

Do you have a Walmart nearby? In the past, they have been very generous with both gift cards, cash donations and low cost merchandise.

Maybe the economy has effected that too, but it would be worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Lump532 View Post
      Do you have a Walmart nearby? In the past, they have been very generous with both gift cards, cash donations and low cost merchandise.

Maybe the economy has effected that too, but it would be worth a try.
      Yes, I have a written request in with them. My problem seems to be the size of the county I live in. There is 1 walmart, 1 kmart and 5 Grocery stores in my little county. Those stores get hit up by all 5 of the Volunteer fire departments in the area. Everyone is "donated out". I'm thinking about going out of county but at $4 a gallon that's not too smart either. I want to
      make sure that I get something worth while for the Dept. I feel terrible about the cost of Grant Writing school.

I think I'm just going to write any and all companies willing to accept requests...I may need to allow more time to follow up with the companies I'm writing. A wise woman reminded me today that "the squeeky wheel gets the oil".

Comment

My department is having the same problem. The economy still isn't doing that great so it's tough for even the larger companies to donate. One thing we were able to do though for water and sports drinks was contact your local American Red Cross chapter. They weren't able to give us much, but every little bit helps out.
        "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

Comment

Originally posted by SWAFPD2011 View Post
          I feel terrible about the cost of Grant Writing school.
          Don't write off the grant writing class so fast. I just finished Kurt's class and think it was well worth the cost.

If you can't afford to go, consider hosting a class, that's what we did. If you can get enough students they will come to you.

http://firstrespondergrants.com/page/hosting_a_class

Comment

Good news, I got my first 2 donations. One $25 gift card to Safeway and a whole palate of water (72 cases)! That was a good confidence booster. A grant just opened a few days ago I think I'm gonna go for. Our (my husbands) department needs new SCBA's so, I think I'm going to try my hand at grant writing. Wish me luck...thank you for the responses.

Comment

You're doing all the right things. Get some training; one good grant will make up for the cost instantly. The workshops are a very, very good investment.

Be persistent, both with donations locally and with grants. It's kind of like sales-- lots of NO but here and there a very big YES.

Keep going!
              “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
              ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

grant ideas

dont limit your target population to those companies/businesses with facilities in your service area...also target the pass through businesses....oil/gas pipelines, power lines, airports, colleges, major highways, rail, etc.

look at neighboring counties - any business in those that creates a lot of pass through traffic ? you are supporting them without even knowing! hit them up!!!

Comment

Hi SWAFPD2011,
                  I have read you are collecting donation for a good cause and wish you luck and success in your work. Glad to know that you have started getting donations.
                  Keep updating us with your achievements.
                  Last edited by Carlten; 06-25-2011, 02:29 AM.
                  san antonio personal trainer

Comment

Donations and Grant Writing

Hi SWAFPD,
                    Good luck for your great job and you are doing right.

Comment

Find an eagle scout who needss project and let him go

Contact local high school and see what students, clubs need a project

Churches are a very good source also
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Help needed / Donations

Good day,
                        Im Stephen Eric P. Chua, a non-paid volunteer firefighter here in Metro Manila, Philippines. Our two volunteer groups namely " Dee hwa Liong Volunteer Fire Brigade" Quezon City, Philippines. with 20 personnels, and "Guardians Fire & Rescue Brotherhood International Inc." Valenzuela City, Philippines with 25 personnels, would like to appeal for your help regarding old, used, 2nd hand fire gears such as, fire helmets, hoods, turnout gears, gloves, SCBA Packs & masks and fire boots that are not any more in use at your departments and for disposal. May we request it as your donation to us here to be puit into good use in saving lives & properties here.
                        We are hoping that our simple request for help will be granted and will go a long way in helping in firefighting here in Metro Manila, Philippines.

We hope to hear from you soon. keep safe & God bless you all.

Stephen Eric P. Chua
                        Volunteer firefighter
                        mustang70_501@yahoo.com

Comment

well, best of luck.. you are doing a great work SWAFPD , i know you have to face some problems in what you want to achieve, but keep trying..
                          mummys gold bonus

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X