Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Does your FD even provide EMS, and if so or if not, why or why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does your FD even provide EMS, and if so or if not, why or why not?

My VFD provides no EMS whatsoever except for the occasional EMS assist. We also do not go to MVAs unless extrication is needed, the car is burning, utility poles are damaged, or the car is leaking. We used to run an ambulance until 1980. (This was way before I was even alive. My dad graduated from high school that year, in fact.) In that year, we and another FD next to us gave up our ambulances and helped form a volunteer ambulance corps. They then merged with another volunteer ambulance corps in 2004 to form our all-paid EMS service. When Mohawk Ambulance tried to take over our town last year (before I joined), our chief and the other chiefs of the 4 non-EMS departments in our town were discussing plans to gain BLS first responder certs from the NYS Department of Health, since all FDs in our county that are served by Mohawk respond with them to almost all calls. (One FD in only does Charlies and above like they do with another EMS service in another town they cover, and no one goes to psych calls since the PD always shows up first to those. Funny thing is, until 2004, my town's PD responded to all medicals for first responder.)

What does your FD provide, if any, for EMS?

My VFD provides no EMS whatsoever except for the occasional EMS assist. We also do not go to MVAs unless extrication is needed, the car is burning, utility poles are damaged, or the car is leaking. Pretty much sums it up. There is a separate volunteer EMS agency in town that has no interest in fighting fires and the FD has no interest in running EMS.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

My agency (municipal, career department) responds to EMS calls as "first responders". All firefighters are required to become state-certified EMT's within a year of hire. The city uses a private, hospital-based EMS system for transports. The fire department responded to roughly 30,000 calls last year and the private EMS agency had 50,000+ calls for service, so obviously the fire department does not go to every medical call. We're typically only dispatched to Charlie, Delta, or Echo-level calls, although we do respond to Bravo calls for falls and for shootings/stabbings (bravo often implies an unknown status for a GSW call). Every vehicle accident with injuries gets at least an engine.

Our busier stations have two-man Squad companies that handle EMS calls so that the Engine and Truck companies can stay in service. Our EMS dispatch matrix looks something like this:

"Normal" EMS call: 1 Squad or 1 Engine
      "Priority" EMS call (cardiac arrest, childbirth, pedestrian struck): 1 Squad AND 1 Engine
      MVC with injuries: 1 Engine
      MVC with entrapment: 1 Engine, 1 Squad, 1 Heavy Rescue

No system is perfect, but I think our method for responding to medical calls is very beneficial to the people that we serve. We'll often have our assessment completed and treatment started before the transport unit even pulls up. Even on "routine" calls or when we get there behind the ambulance, it is still helpful having a few extra bodies to help load a patient or assist EMS with whatever else they might need. And, if a patient is critical or unstable, we'll have FF's ride in the transport unit with EMS so that they can continue to treat the patient and assist the medics.

Comment

My career department serves as the primary transport agency for our county. We're supplemented by three volunteer rescue squads who also provide ALS and BLS care. We operate 15 ALS ambulances staffed with one medic and one EMT. Our department does it all - ALS patient transport, regional technical rescue team, regional state hazardous materials team, dive rescue, etc, etc.

My volunteer agency began doing EMS first responder in 1990, with EMS transports being handled by a volunteer rescue squad (VRS) that's an altogether different agency. We've responded to all auto accidents with injuries or entrapment since the 1970's. When we opened our new firehouse in 2011, the VRS was given a bay to park one of their ambulances in. Several members of the FD are qualified by the VRS to operate their ambulance, which we'll do occasionally during times of a high call volume, a nearby cardiac arrest, etc. Recently, some changes have occurred in the county that will result in the FD's state EMS license changing from "BLS First Responder" to "ALS Transport." This will be occurring in the next few months, so we'll see how this effects our approach to EMS, staffing, and the like.
        Career Fire Captain
        Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

My old outfit, the Bakersfield City Fire Department CA does not provide BLS or ALS EMS through the fire department. That service is provided by a private ambulance company. The former owner is now the City Mayor. I do not know if he still has any compand or control. The BFD responds over 22,000 times a year assisting said private ambulance company. The ambulance company transports. I do not know how much tax money is spent propping up the private company. A unigue situation? Dunno. HB of CJ (oldest coot) very old school. Dinosaur. Cave Man.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X