Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

In need of some advice and don't know where to turn to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In need of some advice and don't know where to turn to...

hello all,

As the topic says i am currently in need of some advice and don't really know who to turn to or where to go. I Am currently 24yrs old in Central NY and a FF/EMT-Basic for my VFD. I want to go career at some point and time which I am also working on. And I know I will have a better shot at getting on a Career dept if I am a paramedic. I have always wanted to become a Firemedic and will hopefully become one someday. The problem is that where i'm at currently makes it very difficult to become a paramedic. You cannot jump from a basic to a medic in just one class. In order for me to even take the course I need to first be a intermediate. I know what I want to be and don't want to waste valuable time and money on this just to spend 6 months on getting my intermediate and then 11 to 18 months depending on the course to get my medic. There is however a course 90 mins away from me that is 11 months and accepts basics to enroll in their paramedic course. I really don't know what to do so hesitant on it as well because if I get hired while in the course I just wasted money on said course.

Any help from anyone really would be greatly appreciated,

Rob

Do career departments in your area require paramedic
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Currently no, it is not a requirement but the area in NOVA or MD will certainly help me get on in the future.

Rob

Comment

ok a little lost, but best advice is to start testing at career departments if they do not require paramedic.

not sure what you are looking for, but the sooner the better, and you can get your paramedic in the future
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Rob.... I am not sure about NY but in Maine there are three ways to become a paramedic...

1 - Get a two year degree.
          2 - Go from Basic to Medic (About 14-16 Months)
          3 - Bridge from Intermediate to Medic (About 12-14 Months)

Just because you want to be a medic does not mean that you do not need the education you get becoming an EMT-I....

Comment

Excellent answers already given and thank you. A few observations. Do you want to be a FF or a PM? Yes, there are lots of both, but just my personally thinking here, being both a FF AND a PM may dilute your ability to do one or the other properly. Not always, but frequently. It might be easier and quicker just to get hired on as a FF.

THEN after getting hired as a FF in a large agency that suits your fancy, (there are some outfits I would not care to work for) and once off probation decide what you want to do. Once on board, most FDs will pay for your EMT-PM training. You might find you like just one side of the floor. Blue or Yellow. HB of CJ (old coot) (ex FF, PM, RN)

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X