EMS Educational Standards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    It's a incorrect point. The mere fact that it's a higher level of care than what BLS can offer makes the job different! Well, that is unless we're discussing your overly simplistic view of EMS.

Yes, a physician oversees the overall process, however you are very much wrong that we aren't allowed to make our own decisions. The treatment protocols provide a guideline for us to refer to regarding treatment, however we still have to make the decision if following any specific protocol, in full or in part, is the right course of treatment.

The process is really not as cut and dry as a patient complaining of pain in their chest, so they automatically get treated under the chest pain protocol. We have the discretion to decide if we fell the pain is/isn't cardiac in nature and treat/not treat accordingly and we are subsequently accountable for that decision.

True, we are limited to our scope of practice and typically don't have the ability to go beyond that. I think the only one attaching an "OMG" factor to anything is you.

You are sadly mistaken if you think it's that cut and dry that a physician "tells us how we are going to do our job". The physician typically provides a guide to assist us in doing our job, but every decision made does not come from them.

Well, "cockiness" can be a subjective assessment and the fact that you think that we "don't make a whole lot of decisions" further exemplifies your ignorance of the Paramedic Level.

Yes, the sample is small and actually a lot smaller than "4 out of 238,268" since you really can't count people that haven't even read the thread and it's debatable whether those that have read, but not commented should be counted since they offered no opinion. So that leaves us with 1 for your position (that's you) and 4 for the other side. That's an 80/20 split that's not in your favor.

The fact that we are all in different EMS systems is not the reason we "aren't pickin' up what (you're) layin' down". The problem rest solely with you, your ignorance of the Paramedic level and your inability to clearly make your point to defend your position. I think we are understanding what you are actually saying quite well and have acknowledge so, however your points have been an overly simplistic assessment of EMS and not really reflective of the true reality of EMS.
    You ignorance of the EMS system boggles my mind for someone w/ a paramedic level license. Your cockiness doesn't surprise me. all i'm going to do now is sit back & watch you fall on you *****, when you finally come to terms that you as a medic are limited.
    I guess denial isn't just a river in Egypt.
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

Comment

• I take it oropharyngeal airways are just beneath you all. To good to use a simple tool?
      "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by ffscm72 View Post
        I take it oropharyngeal airways are just beneath you all. To good to use a simple tool?
        Why the hell would I want an OPA when I can have a secured airway with a King? And before you assume anything, I'm a practicing EMT, not a paramedic.

Edit: I gotta ask what your real beef is with paramedics, since this has apparently been bothering you for over three years.
        Last edited by BoxAlarm187; 07-24-2011, 03:35 PM.
        Career Fire Captain
        Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

You ignorance of the EMS system boggles my mind for someone w/ a paramedic level license. Your cockiness doesn't surprise me. all i'm going to do now is sit back & watch you fall on you *****, when you finally come to terms that you as a medic are limited.
          You didn't respond to one point that he made, can you expand your thought on us being limited? I get what your saying, but who isn't limited?? If the ED doc has an active MI he refers the pt to a cardiac doc, if it's a trauma then trauma docs show up. I don't know of one job that has unlimited resources...well my buddies are farmers so they have it alright.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
            Why the hell would I want an OPA when I can have a secured airway with a King? And before you assume anything, I'm a practicing EMT, not a paramedic.
            Because sometimes that's all you got to work with.

Edit: I gotta ask what your real beef is with paramedics, since this has apparently been bothering you for over three years.
            My beef isn't just about medics. I got a lot of friends that are medic & we work great together. I just get very tired of the basics & medic making themselves out to more than what they are. Be proud of what you do...not what others can do. Be the best at what you can do & what you are given.

in that thread I wasn't the only person whom feels the same way i do. I totally forgot about that thread...lol thanks boss!
            Last edited by ffscm72; 07-24-2011, 04:28 PM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=ffscm72;1284456][QUOTE=BoxAlarm187;1284454]Why the hell would I want an OPA when I can have a secured airway with a King? And before you assume anything, I'm a practicing EMT, not a paramedic.

Because sometimes that's all you got to work with.

My beef isn't just about medics. I got a lot of friends that are medic & we work great together. I just get very tired of the basics & medic making themselves out to more than what they are. Be proud of what you do...not what others can do. Be the best at what you can do & what you are given.

in that thread I wasn't the only person whom feels the same way i do. I totally forgot about that thread...lol thanks boss!
              I don't think anybody was making themselves out to be more than they are, we all have a job to do, and trust me I have been on the receiving end of some snot nose straight outta school medic try to berate my guys. Unfortunately for him he ended up looking like a fool in front of everyone, professional..no....fun...you bet. I have also had some basics that due to ignorant pride not call for help when the pt really needed ALS care. I think we all agree we are proud of what we do , and we use every tool we have to the best of our ability whether were on the fire ground or a medical call.

Comment

• [QUOTE=efd808;1284461]
                Originally posted by ffscm72 View Post
                I don't think anybody was making themselves out to be more than they are, we all have a job to do, and trust me I have been on the receiving end of some snot nose straight outta school medic try to berate my guys. Unfortunately for him he ended up looking like a fool in front of everyone, professional..no....fun...you bet. I have also had some basics that due to ignorant pride not call for help when the pt really needed ALS care. I think we all agree we are proud of what we do , and we use every tool we have to the best of our ability whether were on the fire ground or a medical call.
                That's all i was trying to say in a nut shell. Now the initial question remains. AA or BS really required for paramedics....I don't really believe so.

Comment

I take it oropharyngeal airways are just beneath you all. To good to use a simple tool?
                  Doesn't do squat.

FAIL
                  I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

• Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
                    Doesn't do squat.

FAIL
                    does enough. you got to turn it for it to work chief...lol j/k

Comment

The OPA is a good tool, But it doesn't secure anything. It just helps open the glottis so you can bag the pt better.

Edit

I know you know that, Just giving you down the road.
                      Last edited by L-Webb; 07-24-2011, 10:34 PM.
                      Get the first line into operation.

Comment

does enough. you got to turn it for it to work chief...lol j/k
                        Seriously... I've been there, done that.

Had a trauma patient who desperately needed a tube.... there was even a doc on scene.

Oral Airway aint the same thing.
                        I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

• Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
                          Grab a King from the airway bag.
                          Sure, if that's an option. In PA, there is currently NO options to secure the airway at the EMT level. Maybe DE has that as an option for the EMT? Given the subsequent reference to using oral & nasal airways, I'm leaning towards it not being one.

Comment

You ignorance of the EMS system boggles my mind for someone w/ a paramedic level license.
                            ROTFLMAO, if you think I'm ignorant of the EMS system, then by comparison, you must have been lobotomized somewhere along the way.

Your cockiness doesn't surprise me. all i'm going to do now is sit back & watch you fall on you *****, when you finally come to terms that you as a medic are limited.
                            And your nonsense doesn't surprise me at all either. If you're going to do that, then I hope you have a comfortable chair because you're going to be waiting a long time to see me "fall on (my) *****" regarding this issue. By the way, I've already acknowledged that as a Paramedic, I am limited in what I can do. Others in this discussion have acknowledged the same, but for whatever reason, you don't seem to be able to comprehend that.

BTW, this isn't "cockiness", the more correct term is "confidence". I am confident that I know exactly what my job (as a Paramedic) is. I am confident that what my job as a Paramedic is, IS NOT the same job as the EMTs I work with. I am confident that you truly know very little about what you've been trying to talk about. I am confident that you will continue to try and defend your indefensible positions and continue to fail at it. I am confident that I'm growing bored debating this matter with you. At this point, I almost feel bad for you...............almost!

Comment

• Originally posted by FireMedic049 View Post
                              Sure, if that's an option. In PA, there is currently NO options to secure the airway at the EMT level. Maybe DE has that as an option for the EMT? Given the subsequent reference to using oral & nasal airways, I'm leaning towards it not being one.
                              Perhaps not, we're lucky that both agencies I work/volunteer for do allow this as a BLS skill.

Part of my fuel was this...
                              Originally posted by ffscm72
                              ...and the implication that we're "too good" to use an OPA, even if there's a more viable option out there...which in my case, it is.
                              Career Fire Captain
                              Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Well, in a sense, yes, they are beneath me. If the goal is to secure the airway, then why would I choose an oral airway when I have ETT & King-LT airways at my disposal? Options that would actually secure the patient's airway!

P.S. The part in blue was a bit of cockiness, but only so I could have a little more fun mocking you.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X