Is First Responder a requirement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by happychappy View Post
    I am a firefighter at Long Lake volunteer Fire department over the last few years they keeping talking that First Responder is a “requirement” in the state of Illinois (where the governors make your license plates) for a firefighter does anybody have any document or statue stating this to be true? I have searched and can’t seem to find anything. I was looking for state or federal laws.
    What do you care? In the amount of time it takes you to find the law, you could be halfway done with the class. Is learning basic first aid beneath you?

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post
      Think of it this way - if you suffer an injury or medical emergency on the fireground, then you've got a bunch of people with at least some medical training to help you out. And vice versa.

It's a whole lot better than a half dozen guys standing around you as you lay on the ground, wondering if there is anything they can do for you...
      Couldn't agree more.

Originally posted by emt161 View Post
      What do you care? In the amount of time it takes you to find the law, you could be halfway done with the class. Is learning basic first aid beneath you?
      I think it is. By what he has said already.

OP who keeps saying its a requirement? The State? Your Training officer? Your Fire Chief?

Fire Departments not only fight fires now of days they also run medical calls. The volunteer fire department isn't there just to fight fires either its there to help its community.

So what is so bad about requiring people on the department to have the bare minimum medical training?
      RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
      BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
      Martin Luther King, Jr

Comment

My understanding is (in Cali) we are required to only have basic CPR skills.

Our department strongly urges it's members to be first responders. Fortunately we have been able to offer first responder training in-house. Even though I have taken the course, I've always try to attend more courses as much as possible. You'd be surprised how much more you learn the second or third time.
        Last edited by Blulakr; 08-10-2010, 02:53 PM.
        My wise and profound comments and opinions are mine alone and are in no way associated with any other individual or group.

Comment

From the research I have performed, being a first responder is not a state requirement UNLESS you are wishing to become FF II certified by the state. Then first responder is a requirement of FF II.

We currently do not require our members to be first responders but we highly suggest it. I took the course last year and at that time in Illinois it was a 40 hour course unless you already had health care provider CPR certification, then it was only 32 hours. Also Illinois requires 24 hours of continuing education every 4 years for first responders. Your first responder license is valid for 4 years.

Like someone else said, take the class, it will not hurt you and you never know when what you learned just might come in handy!

Comment

Should be,

Good luck though.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse