This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TurnOut Gear

We've always used PBI gear but are considering alternatives, You're help and opinion is valued in this matter as we don't want to purchase something that is going to let us or one of our people down. Thanx

Anecdotal evidence may not be what you're looking for but...
    When I started we wore Cotton Duck coats and hip boots. I had the first set of PBI Gear (Globe) on our department. I walked away from a flahsover in it. The Bourkes on my helmet melted and a Nomex strap on my Scott burned through. I ended up with a small area of 3d Degree burn on my face where mask and hood (also PBI) met, 2d degree burns on both ears, and 2d degree burn on one shoulder. I took two lessons from this: I will never wear anything but PBI, and I will never wear anything but Leather. My current department is Nomex and plastic...I bought my own PBI gear.

Like I said, just an anecdote, maybe I would have walked away if I were wearing Nomex...but I won't bet my life on it.

[This message has been edited by jj1967 (edited 03-13-2001).]

Comment

I have worn both. My current TO is Globe PBI. My back -up set is my old Globe Nomex. Personally, I like my Globe PBI. Slightly lighter but in my opinion just as safe. Pants are highback style with double padded knees. I inquired with the company that cleans our TO. He stated PBI is a little less UV resistive. I guess that means they will breakdown a little sooner. Either way...Nomex and PBI are better than TO's of the early 70's when I started.

Capt. Bill Dumas
      Garden Grove FD

[This message has been edited by Icerader (edited 03-13-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Icerader (edited 03-14-2001).]

Comment

I am with the other two guys. I used to wear nomex and didn't like it much, then got a new set of Globe PBI and I love it. It is light weight, done well in fires and has taken lots of abuse at extrications. My opinion is stick with PBI. I have the high back pants and short coat which are great although I wouldn't mind trying Morning Pride just to see how it feels but won't mind staying with Globe.

Comment

I recently bought several sets of FireGear with Basofil outer shell. The coat is awesome at blocking heat, as the material is woven extremely tight. After washing, supposedly TPP is increased significantly since the material is fluffed up. Personal tests reveal that the heat is not felt as quickly as with PBI. It is also less resistant to UV rays. However, I've now been informed by a couple of people that when heated to extreme temperatures, the material does not hold up as well as PBI afterward. I'll have to research that further. FireGear's thermal enhancement system is in my opinion the best innovation on the market right now, nothing new, but it works well. My coat's TPP is somewhere in the mid-70 range, even through anything over 60 isn't recognized. Check out Millenia. It is a super strong material that withstands all types tears and abuse even after flame or UV exposure. Slightly lower TPP, but a good long-range trade-off. Talk to whoever repairs gear in your area, and see if you can get some straightforward opinions on quality. Look at independent tests rather than one material testing their own product. Just some mistakes I've made in pursuit of the perfect set of gear! Hope it helps.

Comment

Look into Securitex, we've been using it for over two years and everybody loves it. It is very light and the Duralite outer shell doesn't absorb water like other outer shell materials so it stays light when soaking wet.(which also means minimal ice buildup in winter) The PBI folks swear by their choice of product because it is a great product but it does have it's drawbacks. Securitex will send you samples of material to do your own 'burn tests' comparing Duralite to PBI and Nomex. Securitex gear fits like a glove and is very stressfree to work in and their whole design consept is just that- reducing stress. I will fully admit that PBI is the winner in the burn test though in my opinion by a very small margin over Duralite. I think the benifits of well fitting, stress reducing gear far outweighed the comparison in the burn test because it was so minimal. The important thing is to do your homework and choose what's best for you and your department.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X