X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bashing other firefighters??

This post has been removed by the user.

Justin you are absolutely right. The fire certainly doesn't care... try to maintain that type of clarity as you progress throught the service. s It's something that some people can't seem to do.

Comment

I think all of us are taking some of the comments by the other forum members the wrong way. Everybody needs to respect each others opinions(which everybody has the right to have)and not always think of it as bashing, but as just a little constructive criticism.

Comment

There is no need for any of us to bash another brother or sister firefighter --- Yes we all have a diffrence of opinion at times but I think Justin is Right --- We all need to stick together and although we will all not always agree the bashing needs to end at some point

Comment

Justin,

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "we are all brothers". Because of the work that is done, a fire crew is more like family than almost any other profession. Do you have any brothers or sisters at home. I can remember some real knock down, drag out fights with my brother and sisters. Hell we even drew blood from time to time. But did we/do we love each other any less? I may have had the crap beaten out of me by my sister (she was bigger than me for a long time, honest) but let somebody else try push me around and she was right there beside me.

The fire service is like that. We can and will fight, bicker, back stab, call names etc. among ourselves, but let anybody else get involved and we are (usually) a united front.

The only thing that is important, is to keep in mind that we need to keep it behind closed doors. Like alot that goes on in the fire service, the general public would not understand. And keeping a positive public image can make or brake you when it is time to ask for more, or even worse, ask to keep the funding that you have.

And if you kids don't stop fighting, I'm going to tell your father when he gets home

David

Comment

Justin, I too am only eighteen, but being around a fire station since the day i landed on earth has taught me something. There is ALWAYS going to be negatism. Wether it comes from a situation, a by law, or another fire fighter. Unfortunatly, too many times its from other people who are supposed to be our brothers (I don't say sisters b/c SO FAR it seems women have been smart enough not to step in the b.s.). It comes from those who protect us and whom we protect. Its an unfortunate fact, and as stated in your last thread you sound like a very dedicated person. Don't let it get you down, I've already seen too many people driven out by negatism. Stay safe and THINK POSITIVE!!! Peace out.

------------------
            Matt
            Newtown Fire Association
            Station 45

Comment

Firecadet... constructive criticism is a good thing- if it is indeed "constructive. Too many times, a few misplaced words spill into the mix and it turns into plain ol' criticism, or with a little more emphasis on pointing out all the negatives, BASHING. Maybe that should be a pre-requisite for Firefighter I... a constructive criticism class... Hmmm....

Comment

I would have to agree with Lumpy. Positive feed back on incidents is good, why not teach it to our new and upcoming fire fighters. Don't bash someone because of their view or ignorance of a subject. Explain the subject in a way that is productive for a better outcome. We should not degrade the person because of his/her belief or his/her view on the matter. I think we are all profesional enough to discuss the subject in a way that reflects great credit upon our work.

Comment

Thanks for the backing, brother #606...

[This message has been edited by lumpy649 (edited 03-10-2001).]

Comment

I CAN HONESTLY SAY I HAVE DONE SOME BASHING, NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT I DID COME OFF THE WRONG WAY, BUT A FEW OF MY POINTS I STILL STAND BEHIND 100%.
                    NON-ALCOHOL CONSUMING FIREFIGHTERS FOR ONE (GOT A LOT OF CRAP OVER THAT ONE)

I FEEL THAT SOME PEOPLE WHO FREQUENT THE FOURMS COME ON TO STRONG (THINKING THEIR OPINION IS THE CORRECT, AND ONLY CORRECT ANGLE) AND READ INTO WHAT THEY ARE READING.
                    WE HAVE TO REMEMBER NOT WE DO NOT WORK FOR THE SAME DEPARTMENT AND OBVIOUSLY DON'T THINK ALIKE. ALL IN ALL R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Comment

You know, the one thing that I have noticed is that there tends to be a lot of misunderstanding about what exactly was said. How many times do you see this: What I was trying to say, or I didn't mean to offend anyone. It can be very difficult to get your opinion across in the forums, and have it be taken exactly as you meant it. There are no facial expressions or tones of voice to tell everyone exactly how you meant what you said.

That being said; there are definitely some posts where the intent was clear, and they were down right nasty - to that I say, "remember guys, its only a movie."

We should be able to communicate, disagree, and even argue without ripping somebodies heart out with a few inflammatory words.

Stepping off my soapbox, and retreating into my little corner of the world.

Dave

------------------
                      In Memory of those who have passed before us, may their loss not be in vain........

Comment

Another excelent point that has been brought up, Yes we all have our disagreements here about things whether it's Pierce or E-one or a red or yellow fire engine, There just mere disagreements which people tend to take perosonally, Plus we're always jumping on the Junior Firefighters here about bashing each other yet we turn around and to the same thing and it does not set a very good example, REMEMBER Just becasue you and another poster don't agree on something does not mean you can go can bash them Be safe everyone

Engine 101

Comment

Well put Lumpy.

Constructive is just that it builds or helps to build.

Opinion is just that opinion, we all are entitled to them. We all have a certain view on things, but that neither makes us right or wrong, unless our opinion is stupidly dangerous. Then , I guess it would be wrong. We should not be offended if someone countermands our opinion. But in NO WAY, at ANY TIME, should be stoop to BASHING. It is demoralizing.

Well put brother Lumpy, and so short and to the point, maybe I should take a short and to the point class...hmmmmm

------------------
                          Your Brother In The Service,
                          Rob Herpel
                          FF/EMT
                          Vice-Pres./Asst. EMS Coordinator
                          Fremont Rural Fire Department

Comment

Much of it has to do with having high standards. When your dept is pulling its weight and doing its best, it is frustrating to see a neighbor slacking it.

It's also easy for an FD to look cocky. We have to be very confident in ourselves if we want to be safe and effective. That easily gives rise to cockiness, which annoys people.

But we do all have the same job and should have the same goals. Things like the FIRE Act show we must pull together.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X