This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RJE:
    Sure, Bush is an idiot. He only flew high performance fighters in the ANG, and has two Master's degrees.

algore is the one who flunked out of law school, and divinity school, and journalism school, and....
    Not to support or deny anyone's opinion here, but anyone can get a "Master's Degree" from the internet, or a correspondence school. (Not to imply that's what Bush or Gore did) Take my dept's secretary for example. A MBA in Accounting and she can't balance our books.

Comment

The rally is NOT going to happen i had gotten bad information. again the rally is NOT happening.

Comment

FYI. GW has an MBA from Harvard.

Comment

would anybody like a bottle, you know maybe with a nipple on it?
          A lot of griping going on here, instead of complaining why not do something write to your congress person and legislators one way or another, your complaining here does your view no good.

Comment

Originally posted by RJE:
            If a dollar needs to be spent, then the dollar should be spent.

The problem stems from WHERE the dollar goes, and who says how it gets spent. Education, Law Enforcement, Fire Protection (or prevention, or education) doesn't matter.

The bottom line is the closer the money stays to "home", the more likely that it will be spent wisely.

What President Bush is saying (and many of us are arguing) is that it's not the FEDERAL government's job.

Now: You make $10. You send $3 to Washington. Washington sends $1 back to you (and one dollar to someone clear across the country - probably a welfare queen - or welfare corporation?) and wastes $1 paying itself.

With a tax cut: You make $10. You send $1 to Washington - who cares where it goes - (should be to the military, and not much else). Your local gov't. takes $1 for local use. Yes, that's a tax increase. But your local community still has that $1 it always had. And if it needs another, you're still no worse off than you were. And all the money stays home. So it gets spent where it's needed. Not on some bridge or ditch or "gov't study" boondoggle or junket.

BTW, the "recovery" started in '83. For those who aren't old enough to remember - 1979 - Jimmy Carter - double digit inflation, unemployment, and interest rates. Reagan got the taxes cut (he didn't cut them, Congress did - only Congress has the power to tax) and the recovery started. Everything since then (Bush the elder is closer to Clinton than Reagan in this repect) has had the effect of slowing it back down.

And, no disrespect, but fire depts, as with all "public" functions, are a DRAIN on the economy. Never mind that you all also pay taxes, individually it's true, but corporately it's insignificant. What makes the economy go are those of us who work in private enterprise, be it manufacturing, service, etc. You earn money, and you spend money, and you pay taxes on what you earn and what you spend.

On the other hand:

I MAKE money. (Yes, there is a difference between earning and making). I know some of you are volunteers that have other private sector jobs. Some of you are probably even entrepeneurs, and will know what I'm talking about. But I just want you all to keep some things in perspective.

I am a partner in a trucking company. Our equipment inventory exceeds $5,000,000. We grossed over $100,000,000 last year. We purchased $1,000,000 in new trucks. We paid $500,000 in FUEL taxes. Not income taxes. Not property taxes. Lot license fees or plates. Just FUEL!

Believe me when I say the numbers you all are talking about are INSIGNIFICANT. TOTALLY IRRELEVANT. Like I said in earlier posts - I personally (as in I wrote the check!) paid enough taxes to buy your depts. next ladder truck (or two).

If I was your neighbor - and I didn't have to pay that tax - what else could I be doing with that money? I'm not rich. And I don't want to be rich. I'd spend it. And someone (some business) would benefit. As would every govt. entity that could tax it along the way.

I'm just trying to point out that the higher up it goes, the less likely that it's going to be put to some beneficial use.
            if you own a trucking company, why does your profile say computer programmer?

Comment

Because I never updated it. I work 40hrs a week as a computer programmer (more during tax season - I work for a tax preparation software company).

Years ago, I drove a truck. The owner-operator that I used to drive for wanted to expand his business. I provided some guidance and some financial backing. I just recently started taking a more active role in the management of the company. Originally, I was a "silent" partner - now just not so silent.

BTW, I work more at the trucking business now that tax season is slowing down!

Comment

We have George W as president now. We may not like all of his programs but we need to work with him and other elected officials to get things done. I must say that I have another thought. I have just seen that opec is cutting oil production. We have bled American blood for those people and yet they continue to enrich their pocket books with our money. This next statement could get me hurt. I sometimes wonder if the good old American oil companies are telling opec to raise prices so that they can makle a good profit. We may get a break on taxes but e will lose it on the price of gas and almost everything else because oil is what gets it here. Or is it a way for our oil companies to drill in our reserves. This price hike will make our cost of responding to fires and ems calls higher. thank you for letting me have a say. What do yall think?

[This message has been edited by larry cook (edited 03-20-2001).]

Comment

"What do yall think?"

I think Bill left our nations energy in a mess and now some of us have to clean it up while some of us sit around and blame George.

Comment

Hey, lets not misunderestimate Mr. Bush... He might just turn out to be a good President.

As for the nation being under a 'energy crisis', maybe some of the yahoos in California should shut off their damn billboards, quit driving gas hog SUVs, and turn off the air conditioners now and then.

The human race was around for a long @$$ time before air conditioners and SUVs. We can live without them now.

Comment

"As for the nation being under a 'energy crisis', maybe some of the yahoos in California should shut off their damn billboards, quit driving gas hog SUVs, and turn off the air conditioners now and then."

Maybe you should stop worrying about what other people do, and concern yourself with your own life. That's one of the biggest problems in America today - armchair experts making sweeping judgements on other people because they live a different lifestyle, or have different views about how to live their lives. If what someone does has no effect on the rights of others to do what they want, then who are you or anyone else to tell them they shouldn't be doing it?

I've got news for you - it's called "freedom". Maybe you've heard of it. If we don't start taking it more seriously, it'll be gone before we even knew it was leaving.

------------------
                      J. Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated.

Comment

"The human race was around for a long @$$ time before air conditioners and SUVs. We can live without them now."

You go first. When you give up your home air conditioner, your car air conditioner, hell, ALL of your electrical devices, then the rest of us will follow suit. I think we'll be waiting a long time.

------------------
                        J. Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated.

Comment

Yeah Bucks!

SUVs have nothing to do with the energy crisis. Gasoline prices are up, but if you have the cash, go ahead. If you don't, you wouldn't be driving an SUV, anyway - they're the biggest profit items in the car manufacturer's lines, with near 100% mark-ups.

What might be having an effect is the "hybrid" gas/electric cars, and the total electric cars that California's legislature has pushed so hard for so long. Maybe not the hybrids, but definitely the total electrics. If you have to plug it in to recharge, that's electricity you wouldn't be using if you drove a "gas" car. Blame the enviro-wackos!

Then again, there aren't very many of those things on the road.

The real problem (again - enviro-wacko related) is that CA hasn't built a power plant in over 20 years, and several nuclear plants have been shut down. Companies won't build plants because it costs too much - to meet all the "environment controls" and to do all "enviromental impact statements".

Comment

California may be like San Antonio here in Texas. They have had water problems for 20 years and decided that they were bigger than anybody else and just take other towns water. Maybe California wants to take every one else's electric power. It looks like you have to get the cost up before people are willing to make consessions as for drilling for oil and the building of power plants. S. Cook lives near a nuclear power plant. Does it cause Granbury any problems and are their power cost higher than other places. Thanks for letting me have a say.
                            I sure like these forums even if they sometimes get off track. LC.

Comment

California doesn't *want* to take power from other states, they HAVE to. And they HAVE to because of decades of enviro-wacko influenced Democratic administrations who have ensured through legislation that NO new power plants have been built there, even though the population has been heading for the upper stratosphere for the last thirty years. What did they *think* was going to happen? Oh yeah, that's right - I almost forgot - they don't think, they just 'feeeeel'.

Gee, doesn't it feeeeeel great to not concern yourself with reality?

Gee, doesn't it feeeeeel great that we don't have those terrible old power plants around, so now we can all go back to nature and live like cave men, just like the Mother Earth Goddess wanted?

The only good thing I can see coming out of this mess is that, with the confluence of this energy crisis, the revelations about the Clintons, and the unmasking of smilin' Jesse Jackson, Americans are finally waking up to the reality that they've been duped for the last couple of decades, by politicians who are as unscrupulous as they are condescending.

All I can say is, it couldn't have happened soon enough.

------------------
                              J. Black

Comment

I am doing some research about what I heard this morning on an Austin Texas radio talk show. It was brought up that George W. when he was governor, he signed a bill in Texas giving independent oil companies large tax breaks so that they would not go out of business. Gas was costing 85 to 95 cents a gallon. now it is costing $1.23 to $1.60 for regular unleaded in Texas. With higher prices else where in the US. I am going to be looking at the state of Texas web site for verification of this. all I know is what hear or read. Thanks for letting me have a say. keep the forums going.
                                Also, I know it cost me a lot more for fuel to feed cattle this winter.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X