Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Private firefighters' role growing in state

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drparasite View Post
    it's always been a case where the rich can afford more stuff.
    Yet they are usually the stingiest and the least willing to pay for municipal services.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Originally posted by NCalElias View Post
      There are two major iterations of contract/private firefighting, and their roles in wildland firefighting are quite different. The more traditional form is where companies such as Firestorm (mentioned in the article) have their roots and is quite prominent in the Pacific Northwest while it hasn't been received as well in California. They contract engine companies, hand crews, and just about anything else an incident could need (aircraft, camp support, etc), and especially in the latter examples are extremely dominant. There's long been controversy over these contractors providing firefighters on engines and hand crews, and there are quite a few valid concerns in this realm. Essentially these companies train and equip their personnel, which renders quite a few problems, both with firefighters who are inadequately equipped (why was a rookie firefighter on a hand crew allowed to go anywhere near a fire with only two water bottles) and even worse, inadequately trained. Not to point fingers, but while some of these companies take their training and equipment very seriously, some don't. To speak anecdotally, I've sat through a 40-hour that was essentially a joke... very little information was provided, even less received, and in reality not a single person in the class left the room knowing anything more than when they entered it. This 40-hour is the basic firefighter training - and a cornerstone of our safety programs. To have the instructors cluelessly stick a video about helicopter pilot PPE in the VCR, leave, and come back about 45 minutes after it ended to discuss it (they hadn't realized it was that irrelevant), was to say, ridiculous. The class as a whole ran along those lines. While not such an issue this far south, there have been concerns about language barriers in the Pacific Northwest, and in these have led to serious safety issues though work has been done to mitigate this problem. Some of these crews have very poor work ethics, while many have excellent work ethics - and that has a lot to do with the leadership. A common complaint of supervisory agency personnel has been the need to babysit many of these crews, basically saying that they have serious concerns about the competency and safety of these crews. These concerns are not unfounded, though once again I don't wish to point fingers or blame names at this point. Drug usage among private firefighters is very problematic, and my experience... well, I don't know a whole lot of them who don't have a favorite illegal substance. Smoking marijuana on the fireline is completely unacceptable. It happens. Another major concern is to understand that these contract firefighters are only paid when they're on a fire. No fires, no cash. From time to time, there's been issues where contractors, to put it nicely, have made work for themselves.

However, with some "privatize the government" agendas that have been running around lately, don't expect this to go away anytime soon. The USFS is a wreck and the firefighters are acutely aware of it. I can assure you that I wrote pay and benefits on my exit interview (even if it was medical aids and structure fires that really got me to leave). The high-ups in the Forest Service don't want to fix it - they deny that problems exist even as high-level congressmen call them out on their bluffs. In all sincerity, I believe they truly desire for the greatest wildland fire service in this country to collapse - then they can privatize everything in this business.

The other form of private firefighting is much newer, and I'm still a little uncertain on exactly what they're doing. My understanding is that insurance companies are hiring engines to spray retardant on expensive homes prior to the fire's arrival. That essentially they don't put out any fire, but simply make homes more defensible and less receptive to firebrands and leave before the fire ever arrives. Sounds like a good idea, but we need to be certain that it's coordinated through the ICS and that safety of these personnel is a priority.

PS - Most of the money on the Cal-Fire side is probably going to local fire departments and the handful of county agencies. They're not too keen on the contractors.
      your experience with contract crews is a little different from mine --I worked on a contract type 6 engine that primarily contracted with the USFS and some with the BIA -most of the contract engine crews were usually retired usfs /active or retired municipal firefighters --- most were EMTs or medics we all had to pass the pack test and have worked a task book to achieve our level of training. Several times my boss had to step up and assume a strike team leader position as the federal agencies were scrambling to fill that spot. As a contractor we generally went through a more thorough inspection of our engine -we failed safety once due to one clearance light being out. The biggest difference between us and an agency engine was the fact that as a contractor we were judged on our performance on the line.
      ?

Comment

Originally posted by drparasite View Post
        it's always been a case where the rich can afford more stuff.
        Duh. That's my goal, to be able to afford more stuff. But I don't go generalizing and whining about what I don't have.

But back to the main point, if these crews can't speak English, it's time to dump them. That should be a REQUIREMENT for getting contracted.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X