This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    ok...ok.....ok......ok kids stop it, stop it. I have been a dragonslayer for over 14 yrs. i have laid many proud and Nobel warriors too rest. And I cried when dale died. in a way if you look at the charitersics he brought to the track you would see the following:
    he was Fearless,
    he had Integrity,
    he was a little Ruogh'
    he was full of Enthusiasm,
    he loved a good Fight,
    he was Intelligent,
    he was an all around Good guy,
    he liked the tracks Hot and smokin'
    he was Tough,
    he had endless amount of Energy,
    and,
    he stood for what was Right!!!!!
    if you take the first letter of each trait you get......FIREFIGHTER.........

THINK ABOUT IT!!!!

------------------
    SEE YA' @ THE BIG ONE!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Smoke286:
    Why does everyone want to be considered a hero. What we do is a job, a job that needs to be done surely. But it is not the most heroic thing in the world, but then again neither is driving a car around in a circle for money.
    I Have to Agree with this 100% ...Well Spoken Smoke286 ! There are Times in the Fire Service when it seems like we're driving in Circles but that is the nature of the business. People forget us until they need us. When the Whistle Blows it's like the Curtin going up on Broadway in a way. We become Entertainers to the General Public. We reherse over and over {Training} and usually don't make an encore presentation. Like my-Self I'm Sure no one joined the Fire-Service to be labled a hero -- If you did well then you may have other issues --- We perform an often thank-less job that too often goes un-noticed but Who Cares....We as individuals or whole companies know what we did and being proud of that is applause enough. I agree a memorial is a nice way to honor Firefighters that we loose through the year {Not that any should be lost} Although We all feel it is important to honor our own the media, government, TV doesn't feel this way because like has already been mentioned It doesn't sell or Make Money for anybody like NASCAR or any other sport.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    We know the risks of our work.
    We do it day in, day out, no complaints for the greater part.
    We are preaching to the converted.

Thank God we have eachother.

Take care, stay safe.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Seems to me we only hear when others ARE NOT talking about us. I remember viewing a tape of a tribute made on the floor of congress for 3 Iowa Firefighters killed in Keokuk. I am sure that was not the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last. How many race car drivers have been honored before? I bet you'd find we firefighters are ahead on the scoreboard on this one guys. So get the point, do your job because you love it and find it rewarding on an inner level not because someone may stand in front of a TV camera someday and say nice things about you. Get out there and do your job with the same intensity that you bitch!

------------------
    I shall fear no evil, for I am a Firefighter

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Here we go again...

I should stay out of this one because I have commented before in a similar posting, but...

Let's not forget, we are not in this job for accaliades, pats on the back, or job well done. We know when we have done a good job. We know what it took to do a good job. We know the stresses and pain involved in the service. Civilians do not. Why do we care if they reconize us?

WE are the ones that honor our fallen. Not through big elaborate "recognized days", but in our hearts, through our tears and pain, and feeling of loss when we lose a brother or sister in LODD.

Let the firefighters bury their own, let the civilian world do whatever they want. It does not change the fact that we will STILL answer the 911 calls and risk our lives once again.

I know that personally, I am NOT a hero. NEVER WILL BE a hero. I am someone that signed onto this dangerous profession with the distinct knowledge that it is more than a possibilty, that I could lose my life in a LODD.

We nee to remember we have something that the majority of the world does not. Each other. Who cares about what congress does?

These are just my opinions, and I apologize if I offend anyone.

Your brother in the service,
    Rob

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Chief56 when you said "ITS OVER move on" that was 29 days after this thread had died. Seems it was over and we had moved on...

Larry to my knowledge on the street the FD has never been thanked for saving taxpayer money, something along those lines has been said in city counciol and county commisioers meetings. But the FD has often been thanked just for being the FD if we're out doing some PR or something. I usually reply - "Thanks, that's what they don't pay us for." Which generally brings a smile and sometimes the shock of "You guys are volunteer?!"

By the way, email when your next fundraiser comes around.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    As firefighters, we are paid by donations and taxpayer dollars.We are servants of the people. Most of the time, folks will spend more dollars on entertainment than for fire protection. We are the ones that pay all of the sports, movie stars and other celeberities salaries. The cost for all of the salaries, prise money and endorsements are passed on to us the consumer. I have almost quit watching movies or sports. They are the folks who cry when they do not get a million dollar a year raise. You could take the salaries of most any professional teams and purchase an entire years production of fire equitment for the USA. Let us go back and look at the people who we let our kids look up to. We teach our kids to worship sports figures a good part of the time. We need to ask ourselves why do we honor these folks even after we learn of their drug usage and other criminal activity.
    Look at the kind of people who use intimidation to get the things out of life that they want. I can think of several people in the middle east that are that way. I sure do not want any young people modeling their lives after those kind of people. I beleive that most Firefighters would not like their kids to model themselves after those folks.
    Most firefighters would rather not accept any kind of accolades, other than a thank you. Scott, Congress knows that by making this resolution honoring Earhart, it will be popular with the general public. Most of the time that is what congress will do. By the way do you ever get stopped on the streets and thanked for saving the taxpayers money.

All fire fighters know that we are doing our job to the best of our ability.
    Thanks for letting me spout off. LC

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    My God!!! If you look inside your helmet it says" Firefighting is inherently dangerous" I'm sure the somwhere in Mr. Earnhardt's helmet it said somthing similar. My reply is IT'S OVER move on. Dozens of our brothers have died and surley there wil be more to come. Why is OSHA not ramming rules and procedure up the *** of NASCAR. More importantly lets figure out why these deaths happen and train to prevent them

stay safe

[This message has been edited by chief56 (edited 03-30-2001).]

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by RJE:
    No, he didn't forget firefighters are people. But he did READ the Constitution.

10th Amendment: powers not specifically granted by (the rest of the document) are reserved for the States, or the People.

Bush is a Federalist. If it's not a specific issue addressed in the Constitution, then it isn't the Feds business. So he's against it. It's not personal. It's not departmental (he's not against firefighters). It's governmental. As a Federalist, he's against more of YOUR money going to Washington, where a Washingtonian can decide how much, if any, to give back to you.

For some things (Defense) obviously the national govt. must take charge. For others, the Demos have been feeding the people a lie since FDR.
    Well alrighty then... let's close the local EMAs since they deal with federal monies for disaster relief. We don't have many earthquakes here in Ohio, so why should the Federal Govenment be involved in the one Seattle just experienced??

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    No, he didn't forget firefighters are people. But he did READ the Constitution.

10th Amendment: powers not specifically granted by (the rest of the document) are reserved for the States, or the People.

Bush is a Federalist. If it's not a specific issue addressed in the Constitution, then it isn't the Feds business. So he's against it. It's not personal. It's not departmental (he's not against firefighters). It's governmental. As a Federalist, he's against more of YOUR money going to Washington, where a Washingtonian can decide how much, if any, to give back to you.

For some things (Defense) obviously the national govt. must take charge. For others, the Demos have been feeding the people a lie since FDR.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by mongofire_99:
    To prove it Bush cuts funding for the Fire Act

What did you expect? Everywhere he went he saw FIREFIGHTERS FOR GORE shirts and signs, He owes us nothing and to be blunt, fire protection is a local issued not a federal one.

Seems I recall some kind of acceptance speech saying something about being the President for all of the people... I guess he forgot that firefighters are people too?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    To prove it Bush cuts funding for the Fire Act

What did you expect? Everywhere he went he saw FIREFIGHTERS FOR GORE shirts and signs, He owes us nothing and to be blunt, fire protection is a local issued not a federal one. And there is plenty of blame to go around, the genius that is the IAFF leadership shares in this.

By the way how's the weather up there in Canada?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by S. Cook:
    1 NASCAR driver this year dies at work 2 weeks ago.

Over 20 firefighters have died in the line of duty this year, 5 in the last 7 days.

Right now, at this very moment, congress is debating on a resolution to honor Earnhardt!

What a deal!

It's just Washingtons way of not showing any appreciation for the Fire Service, They're always talling about putting more Police Officers on the street, Well here's an idea how about we start to put more Firefighter's out there, Washington is just being so very unfair to us, To prove it Bush cuts funding for the Fire Act, What next?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Darrell G. White:
    Remember all these thoughts when our politicans are up for re-election. Be safe and remember our comrades in your prayers!!

Oh come on now, I've tried to be fair in this.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Remember all these thoughts when our politicans are up for re-election. Be safe and remember our comrades in your prayers!!

------------------
    Chiefd900

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...