Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Hearing Impaired/Dealth Fire Fighters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearing Impaired/Dealth Fire Fighters

Hi All,
    My volunteer fire company has a hearing impaired individual interested in running calls. We don't know what to do and are looking for what other companies have done and if anyone else has run into the same situation? Are there any services out their for sign language for training and such? In our area its about $50 an hour for someone to sign at a class plus travel expenses.

I'm sure my department isn't the only one thats run into this, any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by jc29ems; 12-06-2007, 03:07 PM.

First of it is Deaf not Death. My aunt and uncle are both 100% deaf from birth, so I know ASL. I would contact your local school for the Deaf, or contact your state school for the deaf, the teachers are always looking for some extra cash on the sides.

Comment

If they're dead we don't take em... that's the main requirement actually, a pulse.

Comment

Give me a few days. We have a deaf FF at my part-time job, who also set up a program for deaf FF's. I'm away on military leave right now, so I'll get you phone number in a few days. JT
        A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Comment

Well..............

If you don't mind, please let us know what part of the Country you're in, that would be a help to anyone who might be able to get info for you.
          Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
          In memory of
          Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
          Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Does he go inside?
            How would he hear a vic? Or a mayday? Or the evac. order?
            Last edited by BLSboy; 12-06-2007, 03:14 PM.
            AJ, MICP, FireMedic
            Member, IACOJ.
            FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
            This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Comment

Info headed your way , We have a very active program in this arena.. My program director ( Amber - Southhaven2786) will be responding shortly.
              Last edited by Chief2701; 12-06-2007, 11:46 AM.
              [FONT=Times New Roman]Douglas R. Patton
              IACOJ
              "Omnis Cedo Domus"
              I am now a former Chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone.
              Isaiah 6:8

Comment

Deaf Firefighters... they're out there!

Hey there-
                Just wanted to reply to your questions about deaf firefighters. Yes, they are out there folks. Currently, there are 39 deaf firefighters in the U.S. We were fortunate enough to have one of them at our station this fall presenting his non-verbal communication class to firefighters from our department as well as our Firefighter I/II class. His name is Neil McDevitt and he is the CEPIN Program Director. CEPIN is the Community Emergency Prepardness Information Network. Neil has been a firefighter for the past few years and he taught the members of the South Haven fire department in Valparaiso, IN, quite a few things about communicating not only between deaf and hard of hearing members of the community, but between ourselves. How many times have we needed to communicate with one another and the radio traffic has been impossible to hear one another. One really neat thing is that Neil taught us signs for tools, such as a halligan or a fan. Neil explained his role as a firefighter with the Montgomery Twp fire dept located just outside Philly. Everyone walked away with a different perspective on how we can all work together. Perhaps Neil doesn't go inside a fire during suppression, but he's outside pulling hose, getting tools and being the backbone of the operation while others are inside the structure. We look forward to him coming back next year.

We have started the Eye on Fire Safety program at the South Haven fire dept. We've been learning sign language at the station and have been passing out flashing smoke and flashing carbon monoxide detectors to everyone who needs them. We're looking forward to doing a few one-day fire safety camps at the fire station for deaf and hard of hearing children next Spring. If you have any questions or would like any information, please let me know. You can also check out www.deaffirefighter.blogspot.com for more information from deaf firefighters. Neil can be reached at nmcdevitt@cepintdi.org if you'd like to chat with him. He can give you the best information first hand, and he is awesome! Take care, be safe, Amber
                Amber Kissinger
                SouthHaven2786
                Firefighter/EMT-B
                firefighteramber@comcast.net

Comment

The gentleman I was speaking of is the same as Southhaven mentioned. Neil is a great asset, and has been duely recognized for his efforts. I believe he joined in 2003 (prior to me be hired, so don't quote me), and he also continues to be an active member of the deparment. He has had numerous articles posted locally, and I'm sure there are more that I am unaware of.
                  A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Comment

Our department is completely volunteer and like many volunteer fire companies, funding is limited so we cannot afford to have an interpreter for this gentleman at classes. We are located in Pennsylvania. We are looking for other companies that have run into the same problem and how they handled it.

This gentleman is a new member, been around the fire service before but doesn't have any knowledge of the actual fire service nor does he have training.

Comment

I repeat my question, with a few added ones.
                      Does he go inside? How would he hear a vic? Or a mayday? Or the evac. order? Or the order to charge the line?
                      For that matter, how would he hear the pager go off?
                      These are all serious questions, NOT facetious ones, and I, for one would like answers, rather then "he is a great asset" and so on. How does he perform as well as a "regular", for lack of better terms, firefighter, when he has a major impediment.
                      No malice is directed to Brother McDevitt, but how can he do the job as effectivly?
                      AJ, MICP, FireMedic
                      Member, IACOJ.
                      FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
                      This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Comment

Originally posted by BLSboy View Post
                        I repeat my question, with a few added ones.
                        Does he go inside? How would he hear a vic? Or a mayday? Or the evac. order? Or the order to charge the line?
                        For that matter, how would he hear the pager go off?
                        These are all serious questions, NOT facetious ones, and I, for one would like answers, rather then "he is a great asset" and so on. How does he perform as well as a "regular", for lack of better terms, firefighter, when he has a major impediment.
                        No malice is directed to Brother McDevitt, but how can he do the job as effectivly?
                        Right now, no he doesn't go inside, he isn't even allowed to respond on calls because he doesn't have the required basic training. He wouldn't be able to hear a vic, a mayday or an evac. Anything to do with hearing he can't do. Yes he might not hear his pager go off so that might be one way but what if he's sitting at the station. Just looking for some possibilities because it has been being discussed in the company.
                        Last edited by jc29ems; 12-06-2007, 03:25 PM.

Comment

So then he is not a firefighter. At best, he can run rehab.

Sorry if I seem like an @sshole, but guess what, if you cant do the job, you cant do it. Sorry. No matter how much your heart is in it, if you are a liability (not a complacent liability, like ChiFF ) then you have no buisness on the fire ground. Part of my FF physical is a hearing test.
                          AJ, MICP, FireMedic
                          Member, IACOJ.
                          FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Comment

He wants to be a fire fighter so what we are trying to do is see if there is any way out there for what other departments have done. Yes I agree with you, if he can't hear, he can't talk, he can't be a interior fire fighter but some beg to differ and I am just trying to cover all angles here.
                            Last edited by jc29ems; 12-06-2007, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BLSboy View Post
                              So then he is not a firefighter. At best, he can run rehab.

Sorry if I seem like an @sshole, but guess what, if you cant do the job, you cant do it. Sorry. No matter how much your heart is in it, if you are a liability (not a complacent liability, like ChiFF ) then you have no buisness on the fire ground. Part of my FF physical is a hearing test.
                              Damn, you are an @sshole, and an ignorant one at that!! Why don't you educate yourself a little bit and email Neil, and ask him yourself??? So you are 100% physically perfect?? Doubt it!! Speaking of liability, a firefighter who fails to educate themself is a liability; ever think of that??

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse

Lower 728x90