Residency Requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RFDACM
    In our department we have the unfortuneate case where we count on our off-duty personnel to come in to fires. In many small or mid sized departments the reality is that staffing will never allow fires to be handled by on duty crews only. While I do not like or want the residency requirement it seems to be a necessary evil. .
    We are in the same boat. Like it or not it's one way to keep a ready force close to the city. We have a requirement of living in adjacent countys which at the very most puts you 20 mile from the center of the city.
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Comment

Residency Requirements are unconstitutional. Period. Why the IAFF hasn't pushed this all the way to the supreme court is beyond me.

It has been court tested, and ruled that there is nothing wrong with a residency rule. Being a firefighter is not a constitutional right. As far as I know, there is no mandatory fire service employment. All firefighters are employed by their own free will. If residency was a condition of employment, before you were hired, you really have no argument against it. As has been told to us many times, you are free to work anywhere you want.

There are also a couple of different reasons as to why the IAFF has not fought it I’m sure. I know my local hasn’t fought it for three specific reasons, money, political, and bigger issues to worry about. First off, it will cost a significant amount of money to fight residency, and more than likely we will lose anyhow (the MPA has been fighting it for years, unsuccessfully). Politically speaking, it gives our local more political influence, as we are all city residents. This gives us leverage as both taxpayers, and constituents. The city council, mayor, and other elected officials need to listen to us, or risk losing our endorsement or vote. Lastly, if you have ever spent anytime at all negotiating contracts and so on, in order to get something, you need to give something up. What do you want to give up in order to have residency lifted? Pay raise? Pension benefits? Health care? Something significant will more than likely need to be coughed up.

I live under strict residency, and it is a financial hardship. I am only stating facts as to why we still have this rule in place.

Comment

Originally posted by hwoods
        I first spoke on this about...... Oh, I dunno..... Couple of hundred years ago. In my opinion, note that I did NOT say "humble opinion", since there is no humility in my attitude on this, Residency Requirements are unconstitutional. Period. Why the IAFF hasn't pushed this all the way to the supreme court is beyond me. If Harold bails, and I can grab the General President's job, it would be number 1 on my agenda.
        Reality says this will never happen. Our City would sooner go all volunteer and hire a private EMS service to do the calls. We have to fight to keep jobs and show how we can become more self-sufficent through billing and fees for services. Also faced with annual tax-cap proposals at the state level, fiscally most smaller departments would be forced to go the other way. Harold, I'm sure realizes that you'd end up with less locals and members if a hard fast law was in place. Not to mention that this would be an AMR wet dream. Theyy could swoop in as the angel of fianacila mercy, making false promises to provide EMS at a much reduced cost (already do this, but it would be more realistic). I agree with wanting more career jobs but I think its a pipe dream.

Comment

DetroitFF,

I wrote that post back in February 2001. I had hoped that they would prevail but haven't heard anything since the suit was filed. Your right about the 2004 class, they really recieved a MAJOR screwing there.

Comment

Ok..........

Jasper and RFD, Thanks for the info. I see your direction, and the point about having more leverage as residents where you work makes sense. To you folks in Detroit: Has anyone asked for a Federal investigation into the City's Finances?? Laying off Firefighters and Cops while buying Escalades may be legal, but it should be investigated thoroughly anyway. There's some misdeeds out there somewhere, just waiting to be dug up.
            Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
            In memory of
            Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
            Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

--------------
              Last edited by firefighter7160; 11-15-2007, 11:14 PM.

Comment

We can live up to 7 miles away from the city limits. I'm not going to give a yes or no answer to the residency law that has been passed in our state,but I will say our personnel don't have any intentions of moving atleast I don't think they do,we have 15 fulltime ff and a chief,we have a 4 man min on a shift,with 5 guys on a shift but with vac & holidays it works out to 4 guys. With us being a small pd dept,were hurting for help when we have structure fires and just 4 people are there while you're waiting on help to arrive.So for a small dept it will be harder to deal with than the larger fd's but I guess that's what mutual aid is for.BE SAFE!!

Comment

residency

I am the President of Cicero Illinois Local 717. We fought our residency requirement all the way to the Illinois Supreme Court and won for our local and all municipalities with a population under one million in Illinois. We now have a twenty five mile radius. Many other locals have used our decicion favorable in their residency fights. It was hard fought and cost hundreds of thosands of dollars but well worth it.
                  The decision is on our web site at the end of the about us link. The case is

IAFF Local 717 v Town of Cicero March 31, 2003 (First District Appellate Court)

Our web site is

www.ciceroiaff717.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...