Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know, I read this about a week ago and I thought about what everyone said in it. Some of the points brought up disturbed me, why? Simple, because I can honestly say that I am not afriad of dieing in a fire. I saw some of the thoughts that said that those of us that say that we are not afraid of dieing are liars. (Not exact quote but summary) There also opinions that said if any of us think about this topic the way I do, we are somehow lesser a firefighter than those who can openly admit their fear of said event.
    I thought about this and thought about it and I finally decided that I had to put in my .02 cents on the matter. I do not feel that I am any less a firefighter because I am not afraid of death. I mean, it doesn't change the way I act inside the structure. Three years ago we were mutaul aiding a paid department. It is a small department, so they only had X amount of firefighters on shift. Before they paged a call back for remaining shifts to come in, they paged my department and we rolled with a pumper and a tankerr, later to be joined with another tanker and grass rig and personnell truck. Being as we were the major force on the fireground, the IC of that department was allowed to make the decisions. It was a corn bin fire. The owner of said bin, buys corn cobs and grinds them and sells them somewhere else. Well, we thought the fire was somewhat under control and we decided the let the fire breath to see what was going to happen, and how we should proceed from there. Well in a matter of seconds after the shut down, the fire took a breath and blew us all over the place. There were firefighters EVERYWHERE other than where they were before the explosion. End talley was 12 of our firefighters injured, 2 of the other department injured. I felt no fear about the situation, partly because there literally was NO time to think about it, it sounded like a big gas oven lighting, but mostly because I just wasn't scared of the reults.
    When I go into a structure fire, you are preached that YOU are number one, well, I have been left 3 different times because my crew spooked and abandoned me in there. That is the result of being "scared to die in a fire." I know, I know, most of you who say you are not scared would tell me that you would NEVER abandon ANYONE in a fire. I also know that 99.9% of all firefighters would not either. HOWEVER, MY belief is that MY CREW is NUMBER ONE. I work under the understanding that my crew is operating on the same premise, and therefore we go in together, we leave together.
    I would NEVER be stupid enough to not RESPECT the beast. HOWEVER, that is all that I give to the fire, is respect, not fear. I can honestly say that I am NOT scared of dieing in a fire. I am scared of dieing in my bed during the night, but not in the fire during the night. I would HATE not seeing my daughter grow up. However, she is hardcore firefighter already, she always wants to be involved with it as much as she can. I think she would understand what happened eventually. At least my frineds/family could say I honestly died doing what I loved. Lack of fear however does not make me a less of a firefighter. It is just how I am made up. I have never, and would NEVER put my crew in immenent danger. It is just part of the job I love so. Dieing isn't the hard part, living is.
    When we ALL signed on whether as a profesional volunteer or paid firefighter, we surely MUST have understood what we were risking. Death is NOT "above and beyond the call of duty", is part of our duty when the time comes.
    Therefore, I am just saying that not fearing death doesn't make me a macho man, or liar, or un-safe, it just makes it me.

These are just my opinions.

Your brother in the service
    Rob

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse