Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are 101 ways to get killed or injured on the job, anyone who isnt a little afraid to be there, I dont want to work with.

Comment

Human nature says that everyone will have some degree of fear in a fire. The person who will sit back and say that they are not scared is the person that you need to watch out for on the scene of not only fires but on any call. I am more afraid of getting severly injured at a fire and not being able to do my job anymore. Dying is a fact of life, When it's your time to go there is nothing you can do. Adrenilin and complacency ar the two things that get more people hurt and killed than anything. The best thing to remember is don't lose your head. Make good desicions and always watch you back for someone elses mistake

Comment

Having recently retired after surviving twenty-five years in the fire service, I have to admit that I wasn't afraid of becoming trapped and dying in a fire as much as I was of actually surviving it.

I have memories of people who have suffered catastrophic burn injuries and have asked myself if we've actually done them a favor by saving them (still knowing that the choice isn't really ours to make).

I was probalby more afraid of Pete Johnson's firehouse chili.

Comment

Honestly, I am not afraid of death, or the dying, and I will tell you why: I am a die hard Christian, and I know where I am going when I finally bite the big one. See ya'll at the big one. Peace.

------------------
          "I hate it when someone says something is impossible, because then I have to go and find a way to do it."
          Whatever it is, I didn't do it, and I don't know anything about a fire. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
          Stay safe, boys and girls. It's for keeps out there.

Comment

We had a saying in fire school that allways reminds me to use fear as a tool:
            "If your scared, say your scared-I'll buy you a dog. If your scared of dogs I'll buy you a rabbit!"

------------------
            Stay safe out there!

Comment

I'm not scared of dieing it's the thought of being dead that scares me.
              Not being able to watch my boys grow up to be all they can be. And to walk in my footstep to carry on the firefighting in the family.

LTChris

Comment

This is like asking Bobby Knight a question about chairs and other seating arrangements. I really wondered why anybody was asking a question like this, especially in this arena of ours. Then I read some of the responses and cooled down a bit. (Metalmedic, for example had a good one)
                You see, this hits close to home.
                Yes, I am afraid of dying. I am afraid of dying in a fire, I am afraid of dying in a car wreck, etc... I am afraid of any way to die. I know that it is going to happen one of these days, (hopefully many, many years from now) but that does not mean I have to like it.
                Three years ago my department lost two men in an explosion of an LP tank. They were on the south side of the tank. I was on the west side.
                Damn right I am afraid. As I said, close to home.
                We all thought we would all be going home, just like always, once we got the fire out.
                I just hope that nobody has to go through this to learn how to be afraid and then deal with it.

Sorry for seeming angry here.

Comment

I'm very concerned with those who say "It would be honorable to die this way" and "that's the way I would rather go." When you die, you affect those around you even more than yourselves. Ask the families of the 112 who died in 1999, 95 in 2000, and the 30-plus so far this year if they agree with this attitude, and I think you'll have some second thoughts. I used to feel this way myself, when I was 16 years old. I now have people depending on me to come home at the end of my shift or after a fire. You be I'm afraid of dying. That's what drives me to learn to be the safest I can in all aspects of the emergency service. I don't want to die "helping others." I want to live to enjoy my life with my wife and someday a family. I want to die peacefully surrounded by loved ones when the time comes, not slowly suffocating with excrutiating pain from unbearable heat. Not with my bones and organs collapsing (or exploding, for that matter) from a building collapse. Usually this involves trying to save already damaged property, rather that actually saving lives. Notice I said USUALLY, not always. Risk vs. Reward is the name of the game. I'll risk a lot to save a lot, but I'll risk nothing for that already lost. I could think of much better ways of dying!

Comment

Oops! My Bad...read the next post!

[This message has been edited by Superfireman (edited 03-24-2001).]

Comment

I am not scared of dying, because I have Faith in where I'll end up after I finally bite the dust. Its the method of dying that scares me the most.
                      I am scared crapless of dying in a fire. The thought of dying in that amount of pain is , well, frightning! Sure, there are lots of other slow ways of dying, and I am scared of most of them. The quicker it is, the better in my mind. It's ok to call me a whimp if you want.
                      I am single, but that doesn't mean I plan on playing MR. Hotshot anytime soon. Just because I don't fear death doesn't mean I hate life, on the contrary. The lack of fear that I have of death does not mean I fight fires without respect for the beast, and respect for my brothers and sisters in this courages proffesion of ours, and never have I gone onto a call without looking over at the person sitting next to me in the truck without thinking to myself, "We both must ride this truck back to the station"
                      If I died in a fire I would expext all of you, not to errect a memorial, but to LEARN from that incident to keep yourselfs alive longer, to fight the good fight, and keep our neighbors safe. You see, it's not so much about dying, as it is living to to die another day. When the end for me finally comes, I hope I can say "I beat it Brian, the fire didn't get me"!
                      Backdraft

------------------
                      Dan Kerr Jr.
                      Firefighter/EMT
                      Pennsauken Fire Dept. Sta.#5
                      "Puttin the wet stuff on the red stuff, and keepin it safe"

Comment

Some of these guys dont need to be in the fire service or dont have kids and a family. Not afraid of dying in a fire, yeah right lay there and take it like a man, and dont try to get out you are lost and your heart is beating 1000 times a minute the structure is burning down around you and your not afraid. Explain the heavy breathing and the wet spot in you turnout pants. Dont blame the moisture barrier either. Come on get real.

[This message has been edited by tfd603 (edited 03-26-2001).]

Comment

Do I want to die in a fire? No.
                          Do I want to die? Nope.
                          Will I do everything I can to get out of one in an emergency? You bet.
                          If I am trapped and it looks like that's it will I be scared? Sure as hell.

Thing is, you just can't dwell on the possibility that you might die. Hell, I could step outside and get run over by a bus. But I still leave the house every morning for work. So you ask me on the street, am I scared of dying in a fire? My answer right now is "No." Because when you think about actually dying, as opposed to concentrating on what you can do to make sure that does not happen to you or anyone else, then that is when trouble will strike.

Comment

I agree on the point of not dwelling on dying. You are right you can die in a split second. My point is yes I am afraid of dying and leaving my family and kids and friends behind. I have made my peace with the man up stairs and I am not afraid to die in that sense. If a person dwelled on dying he wouldnt even get out of bed in the mornings.
                            When put into situations that present danger to life and health we all are careful how we handle it and for what reason? Because we have respect for it and the reason we have respect for it is we have some fear of it. Hope you can understand what I am trying to say, it is what makes us all better firefighters.

Stay safe and God bless!!

Comment

WITH PROPER TRAINING YOU WILL BE MORE COMFORTABLE WIYH FIRE . NOT TO SAY THAT YOU ARE NOT SCARED OF IT. IT SHOULD ALLWAYS BE IN THE BACK OF YOUR MIND WHAT CAN HAPPEN

Comment

Yeah I guess I am ..I can't think of a worse way of dying then in a fire. What has bothered me the most is that a few times when I thought I was about too. Was my last split seconds thoughts were not being able to stop it and go say goodbye to all of those I love. I see no glory in dying a fire it's the last thing that I ever want to do that I will say. I can think of nothing worse!!!! I see no glory in dying in a fire I just know it's going to suck. Will I die to save my Bro's and Sis's and others yes I have been in that situation and know the answer. I would prefer to live life and that probably for me is what scares me, is what I would miss. It is also what motivates me to best the best FF I can be.

tc/ss
                                STAY LOW Fight like you Train and Train like you Fight.

[This message has been edited by FF.1205 (edited 04-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by FF.1205 (edited 04-02-2001).]

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X