This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Answer the Topic Question "Anyone Scared of Dying in a Fire ?" -----

Answer: YES --- Everytime I enter a burning building --- Anyone who tells you they are not scared needs thier head examined

Comment

Scared, NO!
      Confident in the knowledge that I have and the people around me YES!
      Knowledge is food...Live off it...

Comment

Honestly I never once thought of this topic until I had kids. Then it wasn't so much being scared of dying as much as it was the fear of missing my kids growing up. Being there to experience that and being there to help them and guide them.

Do I let it paralize me when I go on a call? Hell no, that's a good way to be preoccupied with thoughts other than the job at hand...and that can get you killed.

I teach fire training at the local tech college and I generally ask people before their first trip into the burn room if they are scared. Some answer honestly and say yes, some get cocky and say no way. My attitude is if you aren't a little afraid at that point you may just be too stupid to be alive. A little fear can be a good thing, as long as you control it and it doesn't control you.

Take care and stay safe,

FyredUp

Comment

Well said Brian Dunlap and FyredUp!

Comment

Generally, the point of DFD132's question was missed. Read it again, slowly!!

YES, I am afraid of dying in a fire, because of all the things in life that I will miss doing and seeing. Family, friends etc. Going INSTANTLY from life to death is easy. It is the pain and suffering(physical and mental) in between that scares me if the method of death is slow.

Yes, I am afraid of HOW I may be killed! There are big differences in how you may die at a fire scene. Slowly suffocating due to running out of air, heated air burns to your lungs, steam burns(2nd & 3rd degree) that take minutes to kill, maybe hours! Radiant heat that melts and burns the gear off your back. Slow, painful suffering. Worst case scenarios. Everyone needs to remember fires effects on US!

Or instant electrocution, collapse, cave in. The way of choice... IF we could choose.

But you know, I am like everyone else, I hope that my training, common sense, experience, instincts, and yes, fear will keep me from ever reaching that point.

Anyone that says they are not scared of dying in a fire needs to get in a different profession, because, in my modest opinion, they are the people that are going to TRY and lead me into a situation of no return. No brains, NO fear!! Whatever is in my control, I will control if it means staying safe and alive. My life to save another life would be the ONLY reason for me to purposely risk my own. That's OUR job!

I don't mean to offend anyone, but really, fear is only human, we all have some level of it, and respect is for your elders, water is for fire.

Stay safe!

Comment

IM SURE EVERY 1 HAS SUM FEAR OF DIEING, IN A FIRE , LEAVING UR FAMILY , UR FRIENDS , AND THE FIRE SERVICE, BUT WE WOULD NOT TAKE ON THE JOB IF WE DIDNT KNOW THE RESPONSIBILITY OF IT , AND THE DOWN SIDE TO BEING A FIRE FIGHTER. , TRUTHFULLY , I FEAR OF LOOSING MY LIFE BEING 19 YEARS OLD I GOT ALOT OD YEARS TO LIVE , BUT WHEN TIME COMES YOU GOTTA DO WHAT U GOTTA DO , AND IF U LOOSE UR LIFE U DID IT SAVING OTHERS.. AND THAT THE BEST WAY TO GO!! (RVFD)

Comment

Of course I am afraid of dying in flame and it enters my mind every time that I hear my tones and structure fire being disbatched, but I understand that the people in that structure need my help and I would most definetly give my life for theirs or another fire fighter they, you are all my brothers and to give my life for you or another in need is a very honorable way to die, dont get me wrong I dont want to but if it came down to it there is no other way that I would like to leave this world

Comment

YES... I am afraid of dying in a fire. I believe that a little fear helps to add the hieghtened senses to know what is going on around you. If firefighting becomes routine then it becomes dangerous. We can respect it allwe want, but a little fear is important to keep the senses alert. I would not enter a fire scene with anyone who is terrified of visibly shaken, but I also would not enter with anyone who exudes the machismo and overconfidence so often portrayed.
                  Fire is something to be feared. Fear is a natural reaction. A little fear is a good thing. The good firefighters use that fear to extend their knowledge and improve their skills. Those who have no fear also have a reckless streak due to the lack of fear. I will NEVER enter with someone who is reckless and will endanger my life because they think they will always win.
                  FEAR IS GOOD and should be used to make us all better.

------------------
                  Stay safe and Have fun
                  Rob

Comment

I am not scared of fire. I Respect it, sure, but the thought of dying doesn't cross my mind at a fire scene.
                    Being Single helps. I am not thinking about a wife and kids when I enter a building.
                    As for fear, We all have a fear of the unknown. This just adds to the adrenalin

------------------
                    We go in when others are getting out!

Comment

When I was a volly in 1st Battalion PG County, we had a saying, "If you're scared say you're scared." It meant confront your fears by never becoming too cocky and in the same vein let your brothers who you ride with know of your lack of confidence. There is nothing wrong with this; if the department and the officers especially are worth a **** they will help you work through your fear and build your confidence. This is done through training (not some bullsh*t gas fed burn bldg) and experience (unfortunately a lot of places don't get the work anymore).

I can tell you one thing, once you have children, it becomes only more difficult to put things out of your mind when you're waiting around for the big one, especially on those sleepless nights. In my opinion,it's only natural but it's usually overcome (it has to be overcome ) by the time you get on the rig.

One more thing. The more you know about this job, the more you know about the inherent unpredictability of firefighting. So when I see all these assinine rules and regs departments put in place...i.e. you can't wear a leather helmet b/c it doesn't have the crush capacity of say, kevelar. Give me a break, a three hundred pound beam falls and doesn't break your skull but it breaks your neck - same result. Or in Phoenix, got to be belted in an enclosed cab or the bottles go into the compartments but you could fall through a bobby-trapped floor the next minute. Maybe Brunnicini is right, the public doesn't care how we fight'em so YOU CAN'T GET HURT IF YOU DON"T GO IN...maybe if you stick around a little longer in the fire service, my brother, you will have nothing to fear, after all, except for a heart attack.

Maybe, the best thing to do is like some of the FDNY houses, have a drink or two to take the edge off your fear of dying and enjoy time on this wonderful planet (I said only a drink or two, otherwise you're cut off). Stay safe.

Comment

I'm afraid very time I enter a burning building, anyone that says their not needs to really think about that statement.

I'm a afraid of dying, DAMN STRAIGHT. I enjoy my life and the things that make me happy too much right now.

I think, no I KNOW that fear keeps you from doing stupid stunts and make you a little more cautious. Fear is going to save your butt more than once.

Stay safe and have fun!!!

------------------

Comment

It is not so much dying in a fire that worries me, but the career-ending, lifelong injury. We concentrate so much on fireground safety that it's the day to day routine that I worry about. I use to worry about doing checkout on a truck we had. It was 12' high and we had to go ontop to do item checks. I use to believe that if I was going to be hurt getting on and off of that truck but luckily it was retured before I was!

Comment

Not afraid to admit it. DAMN right I am afraid of dying in a fire. Does that make me any less of a firefighter? NOPE, makes me a better firefighter. I am just like all the rest I am not going to let anybody die in a fire, even if it means giving my own, but yes I am afraid of dying in a fire and not being able to kiss my wife again or play with my young children and watch them grow up. If you are not afraid of dying in a fire better back up and have a second look at your situation. I think you have lost the respect for the damage the beast can do, one thing I will never ever doubt and will never lose respect for. Keep that edge watch your back and take care of those with you, and above all be aware of what the fire is telling you and thank god after ever fire you get to go back to the station unharmed.

Stay safe god bless us all. We are truly the bravest!!!

Comment

I saw this posted on a website at some point in time, and thought it pretty much summed up this thread.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the willingness to proceed in spite of it"

God bless each of you for your courage!!!

Comment

WHEN PEOPLE ASK WHY I TAKE A CHANCE AT DYING IN A FIRE I TELL THEM THAT NOW A DAYS YOU TAKE A CHANCE BY GOING TO A SCHOOL OR SUPERMARKET. WHEN THEY ASK ME IF I AM AFRAID OF DYING IN A FIRE I TELL THEM HELL YEAH EVERY TIME I GO INTO ONE. ANYONE THAT SAYS THEY AREN'T THEY ARE LIARS. THAT IS WHY EVERY STRUCTURE BURN CLASS AROUND I AM THERE, BECAUSE NO MATTER HOW MANY YEARS YOU HAVE BEEN IN THIS BIZ YOU WILL ALWAYS LEARN SOMETHING NEW. TRAINING, TRAINING, TRAINING, IS WHAT IS GOING TO GET YOU OUT OF A FIRE ALIVE. BEING A HARD *** ISN'T.
                                THE WAY I LOOK AT IT IS... IT'S WAR, ME AND MY GUYS (and girls) vs. THE FIRE. WE ARE GOING TO KICK ITS ***, BUT IF IT STARTS TO WIN WE ARE GOING TO RUN LIKE HELL AND WATCH IT FROM THE OUTSIDE.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X