Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scared of?? No. Cognizant of and respectful of?? HELL YES!!!

My personal opinion is you cannot be scared of dying in a fire if you are willing to fight them. It is a possibility that I figured in when I joined the fire service. If it had scared me then, I would have walked away. Instead, I accepted it as a risk of the job and vowed that with relentless training, common sense and respect for the inherent risks of fighting fires I will do my best to reduce my chances of meeting that fate.

On a lighter interpretation, just remember that there must be some inherent risk in fighting fires since we always find ourselves running towards what every logical person is running away from

Stay safe and think before you act!

Comment

As a younger firefighter I didn't think much of dying in a fire until a girl I was seeing at the time asked me if I was worried about dying in a fire. I told her of course not. I hadn't thought much about it. Now, everytime I bunker up the thought runs through my mind. I do not dwell on it and I do not lose any sleep over it. That is all it is is a passing thought. Doesn't stay any longer than that. I am not afraid of dying. I do not want to die but am not afraid of dying. I am at peace with myself, I think I have a pretty good understanding of what will happen once I leave this life. But I do not want to die yet, not in a fire. I am too young and have too much life to finish living.

Stay safe,

Mark

------------------
      If in doubt - Call us out

Comment

i'm sorry but i think that one time in your life time your going to be caught in a situation when you are going to be scared on dieng. so for all those "tough guys" out there i think that you will be scared of dieing one time on your lifetime. whether it be tomorrow or 20 years from now

Comment

The word is spelled DYING not DIEING

Comment

fyrefyghter10 --

agreed that one time in our lives we may be in a situation that we are scared we might die as the result of however my interpretation of the question "Any one scared of dying in a fire?" means consistently scared day in and day out that I am going to die in a fire and that I am not. I have too much life to live every day to worry about what could happen tomorrow. I could survive the biggest and baddest fire anyone has ever seen, and on the way home from my shift be hit by a drunk driver and killed. It's not worth living scared. You can simply do your best to reduce the chances and let your cards play out from there.

Comment

This post resulted in some interesting answers and interpretations....

To those of you who say they are not afraid of dying in a fire:

Are you saying you have no fear of the fire itself? Do you mean you think you can outsmart or out-tactic fire? Or do you mean you aren't afraid of losing your life from fire, but you are afraid of the fire itself?

There's a big difference in fearing for one's life and fearing what takes life.

Fire is dangerous when uncontrolled, but it will react within natural law. However, you cannot predict its behavior with certainty 100% of the time due to all the environmental factors you can not control.

Fire scares the hell out of me!

If you haven't seen the force of destruction fire brings, up close, then you do not understand what I'm saying. One small mistake inside a burning structure and you will be dead. That's a heavy burden.

I fear fire, but fire doesn't cause me to fear death. Fearing death, or death by fire, is a personal issue relating to your faith and beliefs.

DFD132 if you are asking if I fear death, I don't know. But, if you want to know if I fear death by fire, Oh Yeah! It's gonna hurt, and hurt a lot, possibly for a long time.

Lastly, if you don't fear the destructive power of fire, don't go in with me. One of the great lessons of firefighting to learn is....If it feels wrong, it IS wrong - Get Out.

Comment

CousinVinny said:

"The only time I am scared is when KENTLAND 33 didnt have the first line...."

Whatever, Vin, whatever...

------------------
                J. Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated.

Comment

LOL Bucks Engine 91

Comment

It looks like some people are using the words fear and respect as a synonym,they are not.To respect fire is absolute.To understand fire and its behavior is absolute.Fear will only achieve one end,getting you or someone else killed.Fear causes mistakes in judgement.I personnaly would not want to go down and know that one of my crew members fear the fire or its consequences.I know that some have said,not to fear dying is a little crazy,if it is, so be it.I've learned the problems fear can cause by spending 28 years fighting fires and 1 1/2 years in Vietnam.I agree,respect fire for its ability to be merciless and learn to understand its behavior,but fear not,keep your wits about you.I may be wrong here but they are 2 totally different things.

Comment

I ASK YOU THOSE WHO SAY THEY ARE SCARED OF DYING. WERE YOU SCARED OF BEING BORN THAT IS STILL A MYSTERY STILL UNKNOWN!! DFD132

Comment

Originally posted by DFD132:
                        I ASK YOU THOSE WHO SAY THEY ARE SCARED OF DYING. WERE YOU SCARED OF BEING BORN THAT IS STILL A MYSTERY STILL UNKNOWN!! DFD132
                        Hell I wouldn't mind being born again.I'd get to do everything all over again.The only thing I would change is my stock picks

Comment

"I ASK YOU THOSE WHO SAY THEY ARE SCARED OF DYING. WERE YOU SCARED OF BEING BORN THAT IS STILL A MYSTERY STILL UNKNOWN!! DFD132"

Do you remember what you thought the day before you were born?

You may not remember anything the day after you die either. But today you know you were born, and there will come a time when you die. In between the two of those come many emotions, including fear. There may be no reason to fear death, and for many there is no reason. But I daresay, there's not a lot of us waiting at the station ready to go. Now ask your mother how anxious you were to be born.

Comment

THAT LAST REPLY WAS INTERESTING. YEAH I UNDERSTAND BUT THE POINT WAS WERE YOU SCARED OF BEING BORN(LIVING) HOW WOULD YOU KNOW THE DIFFERENCE OF DYING AND JUST ANOTHER DREAM EXPLAIN THAT ONE!!

Comment

I guess everyone is secure in their own faith as to what happens WHEN they die. Personally I am not afraid to die, I am however going to always evaluate and re-evaluate the situation on the fireground and make darn sure me and everyone else on the fireground has the best chance of going home after it's all done. There isn't a person in the world more important than me. We usually aren't the ones that get other people in some of the situations we find people in. If my training and especially my experience tell me I have a good chance of going in and getting us(me, my partner and the victim) out of a situation then I'll be the first to lead the pack. But if the situation doesn't look good and it's pretty obvious to everybody then we don't need to add to the body count. Don't get me wrong here, I'm just as dedicated as the next guy but I don't go home and play 'russian roulette' because the odds are in my favor. Remember the IC at the Worchester fire wouldn't let anyone else in for a reason. He would have just added to the body count!!! I DON'T LIKE BRINGING THAT UP ANY MORE THAN ANYBODY LIKES READING IT, BUT IT'S THE TRUTH.

[This message has been edited by ffnbs (edited 02-16-2001).]

Comment

I'm defenetly afraid of dying in a fire, but I've never really thought of it until now. The only thing that really makes me scared is dying in my sleep. I'd rather see death coming and deal with it at that time. Other than that, I'm going to do everything in my power to prevent myself from loosing my life.

------------------
                                Joel

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X