The Forums, The Post & Courier Articles, Hot Potatoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Forums, The Post & Courier Articles, Hot Potatoes

Has anyone else noticed a seemingly near absence of forums threads or comments discussing the continuing Charleston Post & Courier articles? Judging by the user comments in the P&C articles, there is no shortage of online opinion out there. Hot potato, perhaps? FH forum members steering clear of starting threads? FH administrators preemptively deleting such threads, if they are started?

Is discussion of discussions also considered risky? Might be. Such threads, such as this, also risk being hijacked to directly discuss the once-removed subject.

Wonder what the safest distance is for comfort? Discussing the discussions of discussions?

Discussing the discussing of discussing discussions?

It is very interesting.

mjl
    Last edited by legeros; 07-22-2007, 09:13 AM. Reason: Rewritten for clarity.

huh???????

Comment

Mike,
      I even have to ask... WHAT?!
      Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
      North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
      "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
      www.legacyofheroes.org
      www.firehistory.org
      www.sconfire.com

Comment

Originally posted by legeros View Post
        The absence of discussion of the Charleston Post & Courier articles-- or even solicitation of discussion from the main site-- suggest that the forums Powers That Be are steering clear of conversational hot potatoes.

Wonder if there's a safe distance that everyone can be comfortable with.

mjl
        Legeros I don't believe we have debated before so welcome .... Obviously Grant knows you so that sits well with me.

Firstly, what is there to discuss? We all have our opinions based on incomplete evidence but that is it .... some video .... on-scene images .... news reports and some hearsay. Some other stuff is known by a few here but is not generally up for discussion at this time.

Any discussion based on incomplete evidence is disrespectful to all those involved. These forums generally adopt this approach and you know such discussion about an incident of this nature, as may go on in other forums, would not go far here before losing direction.

I am of the opinion (some here are not) that it is respectful and correct to immediately refresh ourselves tactically, of the 'types of fire' and the 'common hazards' we may encounter at such incidents, as a stark reminder of the precautions we might/should take and the risk control measures we should put in place. Therefore if nine brothers tragically lose their lives in a superstore, we should all take a close look at our own approaches, just to make sure we have all bases covered. Why wait for the official reports to do this!

We have surrounding discussions based on LODD that get pretty heated and these are not generally incident specific but more broadly based across all types of LODD.

When nine brothers lose their lives so tragically it raises the emotions on this forum to the extent that there are clashes between forum members depending on what stance or view they might show. In general, such discussion will go nowhere here .... except into an ever decreasing spiral of gibberish and taunts ....

So what is there to discuss!
        Euro Firefighter 2008 - Strategy & Tactics from the World's Firegrounds

Comment

Original posting rewritten to be more clear, more direct... Done over space of 15-20 minutes, with a couple iterations.

mjl
          Last edited by legeros; 07-22-2007, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Mike you need to look around, it has been discussed. Just look at the thread Cars, kitchens and bedrooms oh my. There have also been other threads, but most of the members here on the forums agreed right off the get go that Charleston's tactics wouldn't really be debated much until some of the official findings come out. There was actually a thread earlier about was it too soon and too fresh to debate it yet.

So before jumping to conclussions do a search.
            Last edited by GFDLT1; 07-22-2007, 11:26 AM.
            Real men wear kilts. www.forourfallen.org

Comment

Original posting rewritten to be more clear, more direct...
              I came in after the apparent rewrite, nonetheless the first thing that came to mind (even before I knew it was edited) was also

Originally posted by malana1 View Post
              huh???????
              legeros, what are you getting at?
              You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
              IACOJ Power Company Liason
              When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
              and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Comment

Well....................

As you can see by my join date and post count, I've been here for a while (some say too long ) And I'll give you a hard, fast answer to one point:

The Administrators of This Forum Will Not Block Discussion of a Subject.

That's a fact. Persons who become disruptive will be dealt with, and if something is too far out of hand, it will be locked. But, there will be discussion. In fact, there is a recent thread that I participated in, which discusses the use of Booster lines (or Red Lines) This discussion sprang up as a result of an article somewhere about wether using those small lines contributed to the tragedy.
                Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                In memory of
                Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Has anyone else noticed a seemingly near absence of forums threads or comments discussing the continuing Charleston Post & Courier articles? Judging by the user comments in the P&C articles, there is no shortage of online opinion out there. Hot potato, perhaps? FH forum members steering clear of starting threads? FH administrators preemptively deleting such threads, if they are started?

Is discussion of discussions also considered risky? Might be. Such threads, such as this, also risk being hijacked to directly discuss the once-removed subject.

Wonder what the safest distance is for comfort? Discussing the discussions of discussions?

Discussing the discussing of discussing discussions?

It is very interesting.

mjl

I'm sorry, I missed it in the beginning...what paper are you a reporter for and looking to stir up trouble?
                  PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X