Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Pre-Fire Plan Drawings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Fire Plan Drawings

On behalf of "robtnort" who is having difficuly starting a new thread.

"I am looking for software to draw simple pre-fire drawings (building layout, utilities, hydrant location, etc). What program does everyone use?
    Last edited by webteam; 06-02-2007, 08:49 AM. Reason: Check for posting problem.

Originally posted by webteam View Post

"I am looking for software to draw simple pre-fire drawings (building layout, utilities, hydrant location, etc). What program does everyone use?
    We use Red Alert. It has a stand alone version as well as a LAN implementation using SQL server or Oracle DBMS. I believe you can obtain remote connectivity to the server using PCanywhere. You can buy just the base system or you can add modules for added capability. If you are truly considering something like this I recommend you get an IT guru to look at your requirements and come up with a solution that way.

http://www.alpinesoftware.com/

Comment

We use Firezone. Its excellent.

http://www.cadzone.com/
      Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
      RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
      Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Comment

Punch! Home Design Architectural Series 4000. I would go with Firezone if I had my choice.

Comment

We use FireZone as well. It's a great program. The basics are easy enough with it that non-computer savvy guys can use it...and for the more complex prefire plans, the software has a lot of functions that can be employed to make a very nice plan.

You can also import CAD files into the program since a lot of businesses will have them and don't have any problem providing the FD a copy.

Comment

Is Firezone the system that is interoperable with the Firehouse reporting system? I can't recall what we use, but I do recall that the interoperability with the FH software was one of the features...
            These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
            Forever in our hearts

Comment

Microsoft Visio
              Member IACOJ

Comment

wfd:

I am fairly certain that you can attach drawings from FireZone into the FH Software. We have them attached to all of our building pre-plan files.

Take care,

rfd599
                www.IllinoisFireStore.com

Comment

Currently we are using Fire zone cad... Another suggestion is getting Auto Cad Lite.... This will allow you to operate auto CAD programs... You can request the blue prints of a facility or developer on disk in auto cad,(most are using) Bring it into the Lite then convert into what you are using... Why reinvent the wheel. Auto cad is also GIS compat....Most city planning departments use Auto Cad and GIS for plat maps, City Maps, And water/utilities maps, most are done in auto cad.... The Lite allows you to add/subtract as you see fit, it doesent give you three dementions......
                  Be SAFE!!! Go home when your shift is done and enjoy life.
                  This is MY OPINION and ONLY MINE.
                  Not my Departments/IAFF/WPFF

Comment

Originally posted by webteam View Post
                    So, instead of fixing the problem...."they" start a thread for him.

Classic move.
                    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Originally posted by Bones42 View Post

Classic move.
                      I was wondering who and how long it'd take to point that out.

Oh yeah, we use Visio as well. Easy to use and came with our Office package.
                      Last edited by Catch22; 06-04-2007, 10:51 AM. Reason: Forgot to post what I was going to post.

Comment

I wish we did have something computer based but we're still limping along with hand drawn pre-plans despite so much of the rest of our data being in the computer.

That being sadi and despite being off-topic, I won't let this one pass...

So, once again, does someone need to point out the obvious? If it was something that could be easily "fixed," they would probably have done so by now, wouldn't they?

Instead of acknowledging that this demonstrates that the webteam is, in fact, aware of the problem and doing what they can to correct it, why is it necessary to criticize them for trying?
                        "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
                        sigpic
                        The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
                          Instead of acknowledging that this demonstrates that the webteam is, in fact, aware of the problem and doing what they can to correct it, why is it necessary to criticize them for trying?
                          I truly hope you were being sarcastic, because if you believe there exists a technical problem in a very popular software package that is unfixable for over 3 months....I have a bridge to sell you.
                          "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

I truly hope you were being sarcastic, because if you believe there exists a technical problem in a very popular software package that is unfixable for over 3 months....I have a bridge to sell you.
                            Have you ever operated and administered a php/sql based forum? I have. When everything is working properly, it's a pretty straightforward operation. When bugs creep in through updates and/or custom modifications, it's a pain in the backside to track them down and fix them.

The FH.com forum isn't running "out of the box" vBB. Most of the problems I've observed point back to the custom interface betwqeen the FH.com registration system and vBB. (Note that he user having problems posting is apparently registered but stuck in "guest" user limbo.)

Would you like to take odds on whether whoever wrote that custom interface between the FH subscription system and vBB is even still around? Or if s/he left behind any kind of real documentation about how the modifactions were coded? In short, there are clearly some software issues here and they aren't trivial. The problems that they create, however, aren't catastrophic and they don't appear to be affecting a large fraction of users. Given that it's a free forum, that makes it a fairly low priority fix.

If you'd like to discuss it more, please open a new thread or take it to a PM so we don't hijack this one any further. I, for one, won't be replying here again.
                            "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
                            sigpic
                            The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

Classic move.
                              You obviously don't know anything about how these systems run. The package in use is off the shelf. However, it isn't just installed and starts running. There is a great deal of customization involved. It might be running on multiple servers, for sure they are managing multiple servers. I'm guessing they are running some form of Linux or Unix. There are a whole bunch of security features that get added on. All of which make things harder to use. I would be willing to say that the forum pages are not the only things running on these servers, I'm sure there are a whole bunch of applications and services running. You can sometimes spend months trying to resolve these problems. It will end up being some little flag in some config or startup file that has gotten set or unset. It could be something as unique as something in the persons profile. And it is pretty easy to corrupt these things using SQL injections, buffer overflows, cross scripting, cross-domain security issues and a host of other hacking activities. You could be getting hacked by some script kiddy, people who dowload applications but don't really know how they work. Or you could be getting hit by a serious cracker intent on causing harm.

Until you have walked a mile in their moccasins I suggest you give them a break. I'm sure if it was an easy fix it would already be done. Some peoples children

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X