Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Houston FD vs. Galveston FD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston FD vs. Galveston FD

I'm debating on pursuing a carreer with either Galveston Fire Department or Houston Fire Department. If anyone has any experience or knowledge of either one. Which one you would choose, why or why not etc. it would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldnt go to Houston if they paid 100,000 dollars a year. Their tactics need to be changed on the fire ground before I would go there. I'm telling you this from the information that I have recieved from the new Dallas Fire Chief, formerly our Deputy Chief. His son is a FF there, and he told me that he told his son to watch his A**.

Comment

Oh I can tell this is going to a be a fun filled and healthy debate...LOL

Ok txlonestar06 I’ll bite ..... If I were you I would go to Houston. As far as pay, promotions and overall career advancement you can't compete. On the other hand Galveston being a smaller department (said smaller not worse) you will probably overall be treated better by the city, but have far less options in your career. I say Houston.

OK now for you gallagher4663 You got to be kidding me. So you heard from a guy, who has a son in Houston. Have you ever talked to the son and found out what he thinks of it here.....Have you... well in to you do I suggest that you keep what you think you know to yourself. Oh don't get me wrong. I have no problem at all with anyone that wants do debate what we do, but before you come at me or my department or any department for that matter...know what the hell you are talking about.

Ok guys...have a great day.
      "DON'T GO IN THERE!!! DON'T YOU KNOW THERE IS A FIRE IN THERE!!!!"

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

Comment

What are you kidding me? Tactics need to change. What makes you think that? Because a friend of a friend thinks so. Thats crazy man. This department is widely considered one of the most aggressive departments in the nation. Why dont you talk to someone who personally works there before you come cut down what is widely considered to be one of the best departments in the nation. Granted my opinion may be a bit biased but I thank God everyday that I am so blessed as to work for the best department in the nation.(once again my biased opinion) I want to know what your talking about? What makes you think that our tactics are so bad? C'mon you got to be kidding me.

I know if my house is on fire I would want HFD laying a line to my front door.

Comment

Lets see, where do I start. The son that is a HFD now, that I know, went through the EMS portion of our academy with me. He couldn't get on as a FF. Even though he was second generation. His father, The Dallas Fire Chief, I'm sure he knows a lot more about firefighting than you could ever know, told him to watch his A** for several reasons, which he told me. I'm am trying to be polite as possible about your department without airing the dirty laundry to everyone. You know your department has many serious flaws, I was just giving the small jest of it to the guy that asked the question. Calm down.

Comment

No go ahead and explain further. I would like to know. I mean you would think I would know seeing how I work in the department but obviously your knowledge on my department is much more vast than mine.

Comment

Hey gallagher4663

Welcome to the real world.... all fire departments have flaws and I mean all of them. How do I know this? Because every department in this country is run by Humans.... and none of us are perfect. So let’s hear it...I want to here what you think is our flaws. Oh and just for the record. Don’t be surprised if I agree with you. Like I said HFD has flaws and I’m not afraid to talk about them. But in the interest in learning not bashing. I have never bashed any department on here not career or volley and I never will. So before you tell the world not to go to Houston.... let us hear why first. Oh by the way what department do you work for?

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

Comment

Guys, could you just hold on for a sec? I need to make some popcorn...

Comment

I'll take Galveston by a touchdown. The over/under is 31.
                  PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

GeorgeWendtCFI I'll take Galveston by a touchdown. The over/under is 31.

the new line is 33

randsc Guys, could you just hold on for a sec? I need to make some popcorn...
                    If you have extar buttter can I have some

Hey txlonestar06 were did you go???

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

Comment

I told him I wouldn't go to houston, not the entire world. If you think your department is the best in the world, awesome, I think mine is too. As I'm sure everyone else thinks the same of theirs. If you notice, I didn't say anything about galveston, I don't know anything about galveston. The info I recieved is about Houston, that is the info I gave him. I'm sure that gentleman will take that info and not completely base his decision on it. I'm sure he will gather more info from other individuals and NIOSH reports to come to a sound judgement.

Comment

Originally posted by gallagher4663 View Post
                        NIOSH reports .
                        NIOSH reports?
                        Kinda seems like your beating your way around the question.

Comment

ok gallagher4663

i'm calm not yelling or in any way feeling or actin hostal. I have just a couple questions.

1) what department do you work for?

2) What thing about the Houston fire department are bad?

3) If you are going to say something about a department you need to be ready to back it up. So if i was asking you personal if i should go to houston. tell me why i shouldn't

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

Comment

Originally posted by paulokasey View Post
                            NIOSH reports?
                            Kinda seems like your beating your way around the question.

Depends on how much validity you put into the reports.

Comment

Ok well explain to me which reports your talking about. Who knows I might agree with you because believe it or not were not pitching a perfect game over here mistakes have been made. But you still havent explained what you have against the way we fight fire.

And if you want to go look at reports why dont you pull out your ISO ratings. If you look closely you will see that we are the largest ISO 1 fire department in the nation. With a department this big making as many fires as we make there are going to be mistakes made.

Where do you work man because I want to apply for the only perfect fire department in the world. But Im sure they would never accept a mistake ridden houston guy.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse

Lower 728x90