Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Raleigh Vs. Charlotte.. Durham or Greenville

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming to North Carolina for work

Dave, what state are you coming from and what credentials are you bringing with you beside EMT and Associates Degree ? --W
    Wayne

Comment

Getting Hired in NC..

Hi, I work on the Recruitment Work-team for the Cary Fire Department which is right next to Raleigh Fire. The hiring process is about the same for all the municipalities in the general area. You have to do an agility test, written test, and then depending on the department you might have to do one or two interviews. Keep in mind that most of the pay scales are close to one another. Also this is a RIGHT TO WORK STATE so when you get in one fire department and try to switch to another, you have to start all over again as a fire fighter. I'm not going to say that one fire department is better than the other. They all have their pros and cons. As for running fire calls by far Charlotte and Raleigh run over Thirty- five thousand calls a year and they both have over twenty eight stations. Durham has sixteen stations and run up to or over twenty- five thousand calls themselves. Yes, the city is one of the oldest cities in NC., but they are a very close knit department. Yes, Raleigh has a new Fire Chief who has by far helped bring a lot of camaraderie to the department. Good luck, the process is very time comsuming, try to have patience when applying. Some people get hired the first time, and some are still trying. Also a two year degree is a good thing to have. Some departments require it for their promotional process for fire officers.

Comment

jkjohnson, how many calls did Cary run last year?
        Real men wear kilts. www.forourfallen.org

Comment

I work with a department in Wake County which is where Raleigh and Cary are located. Both of these departments are great to be at. Raleigh runs more working fires than Cary. The starting pay is a little bit more in Cary and you also have more chances at moving up in Raleigh at this time because of the number of stations and the number of people hired. Charlotte is probably the busiest and largest of the departments you asked about they have 38 or 39 stations. Durham is probably the next busiest but you run a lot of EMS calls. There are also a lot of fires in Durham. Just for your info there are some websites you can look at and get some helpful information. I'll post them at the bottom of this message. If your looking at working somewhere in NC, you also should look at places like Fayettville, Willmington, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and Goldsboro. I am not sure exactly on how busy or what the other ones pay, but Fayettville is another busy department and I have a lot of friends that work with them. As far as being a paramedic and having your degree, yes it can help. Being a paramedic it might or might not help you get hired but it can help in the academy if you have to go through it. Your degree will be a plus at any department you apply at. If it helps you any, I know guys that have left Cary and Raleigh to work in Charlotte because they want to be where there is high call volume. Good luck what ever you decide to do.

www.legeros.com (click on the fire department section this has information on both Raleigh and Cary)

www.durhamfire.net (Durham fire departments unofficial website)

www.charmeck.org (Get to Charlotte Fire Departments stuff by clicking on departments and then fire)

www.firestation8.com (Charlotte Fire Engine 8 website)

Those are all that I have got you can probably google the others and find some information on them.

Comment

Alright guys I applied to Greensboro, Goldsboro, Gastonia, Roanoke Rapids, and I will send mine in to Raleigh on the 28th. Out of these departments, where is my best shot to get on at?

Comment

Of the departments you listed, I believe that Raleigh will probably have the biggest class, but will probably also have the largest number of applicants. Greensboro will also have alot of applicants, but will probably have a smaller class. Without knowing too much about Gastonia or Roanoke Rapids, they probably require some sort of certifcation to get hired. Raleigh may be your best bet, but expect stiff competition for the job (including me). Good luck, central NC is a great place to be, and the growth that we're experiencing only guarantees that departments will be running more and more academies and they will be getting busier all the time. I would highly reccomend that you check out the legeros.com/fire site to learn about the depts in the area, especially Raleigh. Check out the blog to read comments from area ffs on a number of different issues, and the photo section will give you an idea of what is dealt with on a daily basis.

Comment

rookienc.. sounds good. do you know about goldsboro? i have a test with them coming up

Comment

If you want to fight fire on the reg in North Carolina, your best bets are Charlotte, Fayetteville, and Durham.

Comment

9 year-old thread? Wow. The OP could have gotten on a department and be retired by now!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X