This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death rates with vs. without nearby FD

In working with a new VFD in my county, I've encountered the question of how much more likely someone is to die in a fire when there is no fire station within five miles (five miles b/c the ISO factor). i.e., How much less likely are the residents of the new FD's area to die with a station now close by?

I can't answer the question with numbers, but I would like to see the result's if someone know's? I would think how close you are to the station would be more about what was left at the end and not who died. I think the life safety issue would be more about smoke-alarms, education, prevention, and escape routes?

------------------
    SERVING FOR PRIDE
    PROUD TO SERVE!

Comment

Death rates are in fact higher in rural areas than the average built up area in the US but not as high as some of the worst states.

Comment

the proximity of the fire station does not assure survival. we had a fatality in a building 4 blocks off a main street, and 400 feet from a staffed station. capt. called for a second alarm from the kitchen of the station due to volume of fire visible.(probably one of the few to call for a second in his underwear!!)
        ISO generally does not consider life safety as much as dollar property loss. the only way to improve survival is to have detectors and a evac. plan.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X