Should All FF's be EMT's or above

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobsnyder View Post
    No. It should be a local decision based upon local needs.
    Exactly! My department runs greater then 50% of our runs on an interstate highway and of that number you can figure out that the number of MVA's is quite a large part of those incidents. Previously we were CPR/AED/Basic First Aid required but effective 2/1/07, we have upgraded to First Responder as a minimum level of medical training. We have a handful of EMT's on the roster as well but that is either voluntary or from another organization such as their Career FD requiring it. What it came down to for us is a couple of things: The volume of MVA's we run and the response stats that have us on location sometimes several minutes before a BLS transport rig. We are able to package and be ready for transport as soon as that rig shows up. The patient gets to a medical facility quicker and being selfish, we get off of a traffic filled highway faster. The other part of it is as an organization we offer FAST team, Ice Rescue and Rope Rescue to other towns. We fill better equipped to handle those incidents as well rather then have to count on someone else. We can do a medical eval and initial treatment (if fire conditions permit or we can evac. to a safe area) of a downed FF immediately. With the rope rescue situation we are ready to go as soon as we make patient contact. We deal with rock climbers etc. Again if we can access them with a decent level of medical training we get them stabilized quicker.

On the other hand, a neighboring town runs fire only and no special services. They struggle to staff an engine for routine calls. If you imposed EMT and all its initial and CEU training hours on them and they are never going to use it real world.... most of them would probably quit.

Comment

And why is that? Chiefs and unions with out backbones and the ability to articulate the importance of the fire departments mission.

Ding Ding Ding.

With a good union and a good chief... anything can be done.... right?

Ohhhh wait.

I am very much pro-union but in a right-to-work state(i believe that is the key word) where the union is almost frowned upon. Correct me if i'm wrong FFFRED, but u guys sign a contract every several years, that stipulate hiring requirements, pay, etc etc... right?

Union can complain all they want but get shrugged off here.

I would love to be able to rip my medic patch off and do what a firefighter should do but I cant because our city, like a lot of others out there in the south, would just rip the budget out from under us. We cant even get enough money as it is.

farm it out to the city agency who willing to whore themselves out for any BS job the city fathers don't want to pay full price for.
      All that would require would someone to stand up and say "were not doing it."

But, not many want to put their job on the line in saying no. And that is what makes the difference between a good chief and a great chief
      The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Comment

Joke.. Chicago Cop sent me.

Originally posted by ChicagoFF View Post
        Really? I'm shocked.... Next time you want to tell someone that they are lazy because they don't like ems or that they don't catch fires anymore you should be prepared to show them how big your axe is, because you better be in a big, bad, busy department before you start calling guys dogs. Just because you like it doesn't mean I have to, and until you beat me out the door on runs I wouldn't assume you know what my job is like if I were you. Get back on the ambo............
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        A husband and wife were sharing a bottle of wine when the husband said, "I bet you can't tell me something that will make me happy and sad at the same time."

The wife pondered it for a few moments, then said, "Your pecker is bigger than your brother's."

STILL TO PROTECT AND SERVE
        B&B

Comment

A husband and wife were sharing a bottle of wine when the husband said, "I bet you can't tell me something that will make me happy and sad at the same time."

The wife pondered it for a few moments, then said, "Your pecker is bigger than your brother's."
          I rolled over laughing.

Least its better than saying its bigger than your dad's

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Comment

If the dept runs EMS then at least EMT-B.
            If the dept first responds for EMS calls then at least EMT-B
            If neither of the above 1st responder.

People expect us to be able to help them when they call and we better be able to cause on or two bad incidents and a 3rd service EMS provider will jump right in, and then there goes the budget.
            I'm here to save your *** not kiss it!!

Comment

Originally posted by hfd326 View Post
              If the dept runs EMS then at least EMT-B.
              If the dept first responds for EMS calls then at least EMT-B
              If neither of the above 1st responder.

People expect us to be able to help them when they call and we better be able to cause on or two bad incidents and a 3rd service EMS provider will jump right in, and then there goes the budget.
              How is really any different than CFR-D? We do essentially the same things and the things that are different really aren't used often enough or make much difference in life saving situations we usually encounter.

FTM-PTB

Comment

How is really any different than CFR-D? We do essentially the same things and the things that are different really aren't used often enough or make much difference in life saving situations we usually encounter.
                Because the national registry told us too.... we have to have it.

Comment

Who is this "national registry"? and why do you have to listen to them.

FTM-PTB

Comment

National Registry

Originally posted by FFFRED View Post
                    Who is this "national registry"? and why do you have to listen to them.

FTM-PTB
                    An organization that is attached to no government agency and likes to act like it is a government agency that has compiled national standards for emt certification that are used in many states..
                    Mark Zanghetti
                    FF-EMT
                    Goshen Fire Dept.
                    Waterford, CT

Comment

Originally posted by Mzanghetti View Post
                      An organization that is attached to no government agency and likes to act like it is a government agency that has compiled national standards for emt certification that are used in many states..
                      But as the previous post stated, Why does a FD have to have EMTs because these people say so? How come they've never told us to be EMTs?

FTM-PTB

Comment

probably because your state had the cojones to stand up and say no... while others caved in. I dont know... i'm just guessing

takes away the testing for each state and gives it a standard test for everyone who is the same. So... what... say a rural medic in Montana would need to do on a two hour transport time... a medic in downtown Dallas would need to know the same crap. Its basically BS

Its not required for all states... but most of which I know require you to take it to get your EMT or medic... then u can lapse and just retain your state license.

Its basically a load of crap for them to get mo money and tell people what to do. Like it was mentioned... they think they have power but over what
                        Last edited by JHR1985; 02-16-2007, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JHR1985 View Post
                          probably because your state had the cojones to stand up and say no... while others caved in. I dont know... i'm just guessing
                          Thanks for the answer...never heard of that...think they could also tell your city to have 5 men on every apparatus?

FTM-PTB

Comment

think they could also tell your city to have 5 men on every apparatus?
                            Nah...

But the National Registry is a big advocate of making what a rural 10 calls a month department does the rule for everyone else

and they are big supporter of Mayor Bloomberg

Comment

National Registry -- Ok, let's get Certified.

Originally posted by Mzanghetti View Post
                              (National Registry). An organization that is attached to no government agency and likes to act like it is a government agency that has compiled national standards for emt certification that are used in many states..
                              14 Day Guarantee

$3,795 (optional travel package, includes 14 nights of deluxe double occupancy hotel stay, plus transportation credit)

If you're kind of dopey and do not obtain your national registry after taking the NREMT exam you can attend a future boot camp for free. We will pay for the testing fees associated with the NREMT for both the first and second (if needed !!!) NREMT exam.

Candidate should have good dexterity, a strong disposition, physical coordination and be able to lift and carry heavy loads. Good eyesight (corrective lenses may be used) with accurate color vision.

Graduates of approved Basic training programs who pass a written and practical examination administered by the State certifying agency or the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians earn the title of Wal-Mart greeter. Apply within.
                              ----------------------------
                              All you EMT's breaking your hump, It's a joke. Sorry, I couldn't help posting it when I saw it. I know I'm going to Hell, don't bother telling me to.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockie View Post
                                -------------------------------------------------------------------

STILL TO PROTECT AND SERVE
                                B&B
                                Have you been talking to her again? Lies! It's all lies!
                                I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X