No announcement yet.

Getting on a Rescue Company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They didnt give me safety and survival training. Should I take it on my own or worry about it when I have to jump out a window? Not arguing with you saying they shouldnt give it to you. The reality is, in their list of priorities, the majority of our training will not be at the top.

Comment

Around here one transfers to a Rescue Co. and THEN gets the training(on OT I might add).

let me clarify myself. Like I said, I dont know about the FDNY but alot of the departments around Texas have tons and tons of classes and schooling that the department will pay for. There are tons of extrication classes and the local state testing college has plenty of rope rescue, haz-mat, trench rescue and the likes........ all of which your department can pay for or is free if you work for a department.

Its kind of a training ground for the vast vast majority of the departments in the metroplex. The best advice that I would give you is.... get your department to pay for all the training you can get.

Even if they dont pay for it now.... you will show them that you are wanting to learn and better yourself.
      The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Comment

Yep!............

Originally posted by FFFRED View Post
        Great point FyredUp. Trades of any kind, especially, Ironworkers, Carpenters, Crane riggers, Operating Engineers, even Plumbers, pipefitters and Millwrights all bring excellent hands-on mechanical apptitude to the job.

Glad to see someone else mention it. It seems like so many nowadays place all their eggs in one basket with liberal arts educated kids who have never seen the working end of a wrench.

FTM-PTB

I Know, I Know, Scary thought, BUT I agree with you. I got into Rescue from a different angle. We determined that there was a need for a Rescue company in our part of the county, and decided to pursue getting authorization to be one. We trained, converted a Pumper into a semi-Heavy Rescue, then ran as an Extra Company for several YEARS, gaining experience. You are quite correct though. Having a group of people with backgrounds in different areas of Construction, Transportation, Etc. is worth more than just the "Book Learning".
        Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
        In memory of
        Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
        Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Your a probie and already looking towards getting on a rescue company? I am thinking that you mean Heavy rescue at that. I'd be more concerned right now about earning the trust and respect of your senior firefighters. More concerned about what you need to do to survive your probationary period and become an excellent firefighter first.

Take the time, LEARN your Engine Co. Learn what it takes to put out a fire. Then after you've learned the engine, LEARN the ladder company. Then when you've mastered that, LEARN the rescue.

I offer this slight advice and opinion, you show up to your first firehouse and start talking about what you need to do to get on a heavy rescue company, prepare for a long probationary period and an uphill battle to earn your place. You show up like that, I'm willing to bet the senior people will be put off.
          Co 11
          Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Comment

At my dept. the guy with the least experience on the rescue has 13 years in. As a rookie just learn how to be a good firefighter with a great work ethic. When the time comes then they will think about you being on the rescue
            Mike
            Fire Captain

Comment

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Yes, I was referring to a Rescue Squad and not special rescue such as TROT, etc. I have no worries about finishing my recruit class. I was with a half/half station for six years before joining a career department. Understanding the basics of Engine/Truck/EMS operations is a must without question. What I'm looking for are personnel who are perhaps instructors, field personnel, etc who scout Recruits. I have eyes on me for a possible future fit as a Truckie from conversations I've had with an officer from a Rescue Company. I've also received comments from instructors that I show signs of the makings of a good Rescue "Man".

I will be assigned to an Engine Company initially, but what I prefer is to be assigned to a station with a Truck or Rescue Squad also. This will give me the exposure and some experience to - in the future - move into those Companies.

Are there particular skills or assets personnel look for in a Recruit with Truck and Rescue potential. Thanks for the feedback so far, it's much appreciated.
              Eh?

Comment

What definition of "Rescue Company" are you using?

In some FD's, the "rescue" is the bone box!

It is my opinion that you have to earn the right to be considered for a slot on the Rescue. get some time in, learn the job, then if an opening comes up, put in for it.
                ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Speaking only for the Heavy Rescue companies I'm familiar with the chances of getting on one as a "green"recruit are virtually nil.As these companies are called upon to perform a myriad of tasks including Truck and Engine work when necessary(rare but not unheard of)they generally contain the most talented of any working group.Most of the folks that bid into these jobs have knowledge of auto/truck,plumbing,electronics/electricity,rigging/crane,A/C ventilation,transportation emergency,and cutting,welding,millwright kind of stuff.Like the others said,get a good grip on the basics.Not only will thet serve you well in your career,they will also serve you well in your bid for the slot. T.C.

Comment

Most career departments being assigned to the Rescue or squad or whatever we are calling it this week (What ever happened to NIMS?) is a step up form being a engine or truck firefighter. However I know in Balitimore MD it is possible to graduate recruit school and be assigned to R-1. They are one of the only big cities i have ever heard of doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by spegram View Post
                      Most career departments being assigned to the Rescue or squad .... ....is a step up form being a engine or truck firefighter.
                      That is definitely an opinion, BTW the knob is the job.

FTM-PTB

Comment

Most career departments being assigned to the Rescue or squad .... ....is a step up form being a engine or truck firefighter.

And the ones that I have talked to.... that may be just an opinion.... but its the opinion that they tell everyone

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Comment

Originally posted by JHR1985 View Post
                          And the ones that I have talked to.... that may be just an opinion.... but its the opinion that they tell everyone
                          I'm sure if you ask a Rescue guy that would be what he'd tell you.

PS- I'd rather have a sister in a whorehouse than a brother in Rescue.

FTM-PTB

Comment

PS- I'd rather have a sister in a whorehouse than a brother in Rescue.
                            But FFFRED.... they are the biggest and the bestest.....

least they would be the first one to tell you that though

Comment

'Round here, you have to have at least five years in the job and sign a five year commitment to stay on the rescue to even be considered. The job pays for, and now does, all of the training. It is also required that you become a fire instructor to stay on the heavy rescue. We split time with the other rescue company at drill school, both teaching some classes and assisting the training staff with others. As our heavy rescues are the Hazmat/SCO/Trench/Rope/elevator/etc team, the training is long and exhaustive. We also do all mask and meter maintenance and repair.
                              One rescue company is dispatched on all fires, and the second is dispatched if it goes to extra alarms. I myself had no intention of ever going to the rescue company (born to be a ladder man), so you can imagine my surprise when in my tenth year they recruited me. I thought it was going to be glide not making ems runs or inspecting buildings, or checking hydrants like the regular companies. Once I found out what is involved in being on this company, I had second thoughts. In the end though, it is the best job on the fire department. Someone mentioned that is is not unheard of for a rescue to do engine or truck work at fires. Thats all we do at fires! The nicer thing is that we don't wonder if we will be making a fire today, like we did on the truck, we just wonder what time it will be when we get it!
                              See You At The Big One

Comment

Originally posted by spegram View Post
                                However I know in Balitimore MD it is possible to graduate recruit school and be assigned to R-1. They are one of the only big cities i have ever heard of doing this.

Not all that true. I was appointed to the rescue out of drill school, I also came from another dept and had taken the time to better myself with courses offered at the state and other training agencies. Since I have been on we have appointed 4 to the rescues in my city. Two have come from other depts with time on and training from the past.

Like someone has stated, not all time on is equal. Just because you have 15 years on dont mean you know anything!! We have people on my dept that have 30 years plus on the job, but refuse to change with the times and I feel are actually hurting the dept. Sometimes a new face with new ideas are a much needed change.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X