Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heretic
    replied
    I've seen, but not used, plates made from diamond plate type material. The diamond plate side goes down for slippery surfaces.

Leave a comment:

• JHR1985
    replied
    I know with our ladders, we have plates that we have to put down that the outriggers go on. Could you possibly have plates with teeth that dig into the ice.. maybe like 1/2 to 1 inch long that you could drive in with like a sledgehammer, then put the outrigger on that.

Sounds like a lot of work... i know... but seems better than just sand

Leave a comment:

• RFDACM02
    replied
    Having just taken delivery of our new tower in November, we discussed cold weather ops at length. Our factory rep/delivery trainer suggeted buckets of cold ashes for increasing the friction with ice. They specifically told us to stay away from salt as it melts the ice with can re-freeze over and over creating an unstable surface. I would think sand would also be ok as long as one did not get carried away and put down too much?

Leave a comment:

• KuhShise
    replied
    Halligan84 & CTJAKE - thanks

Thanks for your input. We have been working with the delivery engineer this past week, but sometime those old hands with experience have a few tricks up their sleeves that us young pups never had the opportunity to try or be confronted with. The operation is pretty much nixed above a 10% grade, but there are things to try and wild ideas that immediately lead to bigger troubles. Experience is the best teacher, but usually the most expensive educator. Still looking for input from any other old timers out there.

Be safe Guys and Gals

Leave a comment:

• CTJAKE
    replied
    I would first talk to the mfg. You might be able to carry a couple of 5 gallon buckets of sand and put that down first under the pads. Will probably depend on the grade, and sometimes you might not be able to use it based on the conditions.
    Last edited by CTJAKE; 02-11-2007, 03:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Halligan84
    replied
    Talk to the manufacturer first. On ours we bring it down to put a tire or two in contact with the ground and chock them. I have an older FDNY TL manual that suggests chaining it to a nearby engine company

Leave a comment:

• KuhShise
    started a topic Ladder Tower stabilization - Ice

Ladder Tower stabilization - Ice

How about some experienced Truckees giving a little advice. We have taken delivery on a new LT after operating a 75 ft. Snorkel on a Mack for the past 40 years. That's right a 1967 Snorkel. Western Pa. has D*** cold and icy conditions, but we never had a problem with stability on a grade. The old EP kept her feet on the ground and allowed for chalking all 4 tandems when outriggers were deployed. New LT lifts all 6 wheels off the ground, so chalks and antiskid under the tires are useless. Have read FDNY's SOP for LT's and note limited slope deployment. I am also an amature train buff so I understand "adhesion' of steel on steel and the slide coefficient for ice covered pavement at about 10% with rubber treaded tires on ice and snow. Need to know what cold weather companmies are doing about stabilization. My hilly town can present grades of up to 15% but almost anywhere you could be faced wit 5 % plus. Grade is determined as feet of rise in 100 feet of travel. Help Help!

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X