Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Run the Fire Dept. on all MVAs w/ Injuries??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you are going to find that with newer vehicles out on the road, and those yet to be out on the road, Fire MUST be dispatched. I learned from a HURST regional manager the other night, in an informational meeting, that newer vehicles are now going to have the fuel line running through the POSTS, and that in itself makes the possiblity of a flash fire a VERY good chance anymore. HE stated matter of factly that there should be a charged line BEFORE the extrication on a newer vehicle even began. Therefore, to make a long point short as I can make it, Fire, (in my opinion) should ALWAYS be dispatched on ANY MVAS, you can always tell Fire to disregard and return to quarters, but as was mentioned in the first post, that ONE time that fire is not dispatched, until a later time DID and WILL in the future result in unneccessary loss of life.

Your Brother in the service,
    ROb

Comment

In our county they send 2 Ambulances, 1 Heavy Rescue and a Engine to all MVA unless they are reported without injuries or entrapment. Then they only send a Engine only if that.
      If the Ambulances are BLS they send a medic unit.
      We run a Engine/ Rescue and our second Engine, 2 BLS Ambulances and a medic unit the EMS units come from other services. We do not have Ambulances.
      We also run first due Rescue in part of a neighboring District. Then the normal response is 1 Engine, 1 Squad, our Engine/ Rescue, 2 BLS units and a Medic Unit. Squads in our area due not have rescue tools. They usually carry manpower, extra equipment, lighting, and in some cases a cascade system.

Comment

For the most part, I agree with sending FD to all 1045I's. However, my department covers an extemely high tourist area, and to run all 1045I's would take our call volume easily over 1,200 calls a year. I know that's not a lot for some companies, but being all volunteer, and with the volunteers that we rely on, that could be an insurmountable task. We're fortunate enough to have an ample supply of volunteers. To up the call volume like that for calls that most of the time would be a milk run, may be too much to ask. It's still under consideration, but it's just something to think about. Stay Safe.

Comment

Fuel lines throught the posts? What idiot came up with that idea?

Comment

Most definately!!! I think the fire dept. should be dispatched with the E.M.S. and ALL MVA's!!! No matter if it's reported as injuries or not! I'd rather have the dept. sitting at the scene doing nothing instead of them sitting on house and having to gear up get in the trucks and get into route! The fire dept. should be there in case ANYTHING happens! You NEVER know what you'll run into at the scene!!!!

Comment

Firefighter15_wv

Regarding the fuel lines through the posts.
              Newer vehicles no longer have the old steel framework to "hide" the fuel lines in, so to have something steady to conceal the lines in they are now running them through drivers side posts and roofline. This is direct information that we recieved from the HURST regional manager when he put on an informational class. This is only ONE of the FEW things that those wonderful car manufacturers are thinking up to try and kill us firefighters. The newer FORDS are following the lead of AUDI, and AUDI being the leader in "safety", so they are making a lot of new "improvements". It is something that is scary, and furthermore is making our job more difficult in making our traditional cuts. That is why I stated that Fire needs..I mean NEEDS to be present at the VERY LEAST on ANYTHING that involves extrication.
              If you have the opportunity to hear the class that this guy puts on I HIGHLY recommend it! If you are interested go to:
              www.HURST.com
              In the comments section located in the "guest" section you can email him, his name is CHRIS COVER. He says that if you email him, he will respond and assist you in setting up a class. Something to think of.

Your Brother in the Service,
              Rob

Comment

On any MVA in our Town with reported injuries the Engine Company is Toned to respond with EMS...It is a good system for a few reasons...Mainly Man-Power and support for the EMS Crew which usually has two or three members on board....A Good portion of our accidents usually require clean-up {Fluids and car parts, Ect...} So we are there for that as well .... If there are no injuries or they refuse care and damage does not require FD Service we turn around and head back to the hall --- Better to be sent and not needed then be needed and sent too late

Comment

Our department responds a rescue with extrication/EMS equipment and an engine on all MVA's involving injury or possible injury. If more equipment is needed, we request it from the station.

Just from a safety point of view, we need to be there. The possibility of fire,wires down,spills, and traffic hazards could endanger the patients and the other responders. Our county receives a great deal of snow each winter. If we were not toned out at the same time as EMS, it could take our members forever to get to the scene. I've gotten to my car to find 1-1/2ft of snow from a plow in front of it. And that's on a good day! Even if we are not needed for fire suppression or extrication, we can still assist with traffic control or loading the patient into the ambulance. The public will see us out there. I know that I would hope the fire department would show up if I was injured.

I guess I'd just rather be safe than sorry. If we are told it is not "life threatening" then we will respond at a reduced response to check it out.

Stay safe out there

Comment

In my county we run all PI's unless the police call it in and they say they don't need the fire department wich I don't understand because we have some dumb police officers out there that don't understand why we are on the scene. When we are on the scene we do traffice control(because the police will not), assist with EMS, extricate patients, secure the vehicles, and stabilized the vehicles so the EMS can help the patient. I believe fire departments should run all crashes that come in until an EMS provider is on the scene to tell you if it is a PI or PD only.

Comment

our station is dispatched to all mva's unless minor w/ no pi's and off the road.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X