Fired for whistle-blowing in N.C.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by adam18 View Post
    I think what we are trying to say is he shouldnt be utterly shocked about what happened when he stood his ground. How do we think its his fault the department is unsafe? It was like that before he even got on, so that isnt even a valid argument. He did KNOW how they worked, and put his nut* on the line for a change to the good and it blew up on him. This probably isnt over, and things may change for the good. If this was the only fire department in his area he would have had some pretty tough choices, join a department he assumed or have heard is corrupt and unsafe, and take a risk by standing up for what I feel is good, and hope for a little change, or not apply. It depends on how big the dream is. I would love to be on a big time department like chicago, but love where I live currently and would never think of moving. My dream will have to stay that, a dream. Im sure this will get picked apart by fyred up, but I think this guy got screwed, yet shouldnt be surprised. I hope the department changes it's ways.
    Look adam this isn't about you or me it is simply about a man's desire to be a firefighter and perhaps his naive hope that he could bring about positive change.

I happen to disagree with your opinion and that is really where my debate with you ends. I think you need to understand how strong the dream is for some people to become a career firefighter though. It is stronger than you can imagine. And for some it becomes almost all consuming. But since you have said you wouldn't move to follow that dream you don't have that same
    drive as others. I am not ripping you for that at all, just stating what you have said.

I am not trying to start a war with you and I wish you well.

FyredUp
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Originally posted by g8trmac View Post
      What's worse, is when you go train at other departments in the county, folks find out you are from Eastern Wake, and they snicker. That should tell you something.
      Been in the same situation myself. I didn't know how bad our reputation was until after I was no longer a member and spoke with people from neighboring departments. It's a shame that you couldn't change things but maybe it's better to no longer with such a group.

*Found this thread today via a link from a duplicate thread.
      Steve
      EMT/Security Officer

Comment

Originally posted by Catch22 View Post
        They went to a board member's burned out rental house at 2300, poured it with gas, and then lit it? That's not training, that's demolition,
        Nope guys. That's ARSON!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
          You did the landscape work by choice. We have a firefighter who loves to garden and mantains the plants and shrubs at his firehouse, too.

My hypothetical question was "if you were ordered to do it, would you go to your shift rep/steward and would Local 2 file a grievance?"

The City's Parks department maintains does the landscaping for all city buildings here, the DPW does the snow removal. The only thing we are responsible for for snow removal is to clear the sidewalks and entrances of the stations. 5 minutes with the snowthrower takes care of that.

By the way, I was rooting for "daBears"... Peyton Manning is a crybaby... but they did keep the ball more than "daBears" did...

Every Friday is yard day in the HFD. All the firefighters are required to mow the grass, edge the sidewalks and generally clean up around the outside of the station.

Comment

It wasn't about the yeard work in general, we all do it in some form around our stations. It's the fact a firefighter, was pulled off of his rig, and sent out, in a dump truck to another location, to haul dirt. He wasn't there to man the equipment in case of a call, he was pulled completely away from his job, to do something unrelated.

Comment

Originally posted by jerry4184 View Post
              It wasn't about the yeard work in general, we all do it in some form around our stations. It's the fact a firefighter, was pulled off of his rig, and sent out, in a dump truck to another location, to haul dirt. He wasn't there to man the equipment in case of a call, he was pulled completely away from his job, to do something unrelated.
              You mean like our cooks who go out shopping every day, in another location and are unable to respond when we get runs?
              I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoFF View Post
                You mean like our cooks who go out shopping every day, in another location and are unable to respond when we get runs?
                Even then, they are off doing something for the betterment of the house -- getting food to feed the company. This guy was not on fire department business. He was ordered to run a dump truck and move dirt for somebody's personal gain.
                sigpic

Comment

I suppose when you run the staffing you do you can do that. In my career FD the apparatus that the cook is assigned to goes to the store and neither the cook nor the rig is ever out of service for shopping.

FyredUp
                  Crazy, but that's how it goes
                  Millions of people living as foes
                  Maybe it's not too late
                  To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

I was the one who got fired and it's not about the yard work alone( with only 3 people on shift, that is it , no a big dept. like yours). I got fired because they said "I don't fit it". They didn't have a problem with my work performance. The cheif said he would even give me a recomendation letter.

Comment

One more thing. WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE IF THE SITUATION WAS REVERSED? And I didn't go to the media first, if you could have seen the first report it said I could not be contacted. The Dept. was the first people to got to the media and put my name out there, I just told the real story. If you want to hear the whole story and then bash me like you did then that is fine, but until you know the whole story you should not pass judgement.

Comment

I was one of the people fired and I would like to set the story straight. They fired me because "I DON'T FIT IN". Nobody had a problem with my performance, the chief himself said he would give me a recomendation letter. I did NO training the whole time I was employed(ex. of their training is washing trucks and putting water supply on the training sheet). I was the one wanting to do training. When I was driving the dump truck while on duty and only 2 people are at the station to handle all the calls, then yes, I do have a problem with that. I did not go to the media first, the Dept. did if you could have seen the first article and it said they could not contact me. The last thing is about the time off for EMT classes. I told them when I applied I wanted to take the course and they said OK and then changed thier minds later. I was told not to apply by people and that was it, they did not say why. So if you want to bash me then go ahead but I stood up for what I thought was right. thank you for your time.

Comment

Quick to pass judgement!

Lets see...By no means am I trying to defend the Fire Dept. for burning the remains of the house, that IS illegal. They have already been fined by the State. Done deal! However, some other things are bothering me about everyones comments. Everyone is quick to make judgements. I am from that side of the County,. I have many friends on that side. Landscape work! Small departments handle thier own landscaping, the truck he was driving, from what I have heard, was used to get good dirt from another location that was donated to the department to beautify a bare soil lot that the fire department fixed up with beautiful grass and a new sign. Whats wrong with that? It benefited the department. Training! Every time I look on the Tech Web-site, there is some kind of training going on over there. If this guy is employed full-time, the Shift Captain has the responsibility to train his men. I know my Captain makes sure we do some kind of training during the day. From what I have heard, one guy came from another department and did not have much of a reputation there. Its pretty bad when your home department will not hire you. Think about that. New guy, just do what you are told! The other guy, who has been silent up to this point, might have a case to go on. We will see. Has anyone looked into his past? Write-ups, bad attitude, reckless driving? Is it a coincidence that they got released during all this? Who knows! Everyone has talked alot of junk about that particular department, however, there are some good guys over there that are trying to do the right thing, lets not forget about them.

Comment

Now I have no idea if the guy claiming to be the one fired is legit or not, but just in response to Fyred up, this guy said plain out he was fired because he "didnt fit in". That was the main point of one of my posts, and you made it sound like I was rooting for the department.

Comment

Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
                              Originally posted by FyredUp
                              I suppose when you run the staffing you do you can do that. In my career FD the apparatus that the cook is assigned to goes to the store and neither the cook nor the rig is ever out of service for shopping.
                              Same thing here as in FyredUp's FD.. it's called maintaining crew integrity. Even if someone goes out in one of the cars to make a dairy queen run in the summer or to pick up paperwork for insepoctionsm etc. the car is always in service and will respond. We don't have the luxury of excusing someone from a call because they are "shopping".
                              Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 02-27-2007, 02:12 PM.
                              ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                              Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
                                Same thing here as in FyredUp's FD.. it's called maintaining crew integrity. Even if someone goes out in one of the cars to make a dairy queen run in the summer or to pick up paperwork for insepoctionsm etc. the car is always in service and will respond. We don't have the luxury of excusing someone from a call because they are "shopping".
                                Our cooks shopping time is written into our contract. He takes his own car and usually misses any calls that come in.
                                I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X