No announcement yet.

Fired for whistle-blowing in N.C.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It feels like I am running for office in here. Im assuming he held a gruge against someone because he hated the way the department was run. He probably had a gruge against the person that told him he couldnt take time off to get EMT cert. I would be absolutly SHOCKED if that person and the one(s) didnt have anything to do with him being fired.

You're ABSOLUTLY right, NO ONE should have taken part in the illigal burn. However, there must have been SOME firefighters who werent opposed to it, or werent opposed to doing work outside the fire department while on duty, or they would have NO members. The longtime members apparently FIT IN with the department. This guy did not, I dont care who's fault it was, apparently if a person likes little training, and corrupt ways of doing things, then this department would be the right fit for them. 99% of the people on here would probably be a little uncomfortable at a station like this. I am NOT a go along to get along type of guy, I dont have to be, I FIT IN at my department. Not because I do whatever they tell me, but because I am comfortable in the way they do things. You can have different opinions on issues, or the way we do things and not be fired, or should I use Fyred. Your talking like this guy needs to have his job back. I wouldn't want my job back in a department like this without change. Sometimes things happen for a reason, I would go look for a department that suited my needs better. Maybe one that trained on a regular basis, and used proper permits while conducting live burns? That would be a start.

Comment

Originally posted by adam18 View Post
      It feels like I am running for office in here. Im assuming he held a gruge against someone because he hated the way the department was run. So you can't just be unhappy without having a grudge? I still see no evidence anywhere in the article or anything posted here he held a grudge agaunst anyone. I think this is a really poor choice of words for what he did and or didn't do. He probably had a gruge against the person that told him he couldnt take time off to get EMT cert. And your rock solid evidence of this is? Uh Huh......that's what I thought. I would be absolutly SHOCKED if that person and the one(s) didnt have anything to do with him being fired. Again your proof of this is? Uh Huh.....that's what I thought.

You're ABSOLUTLY right, NO ONE should have taken part in the illigal burn. Okay then, this is where your comments on this should end. However, there must have been SOME firefighters who werent opposed to it, or werent opposed to doing work outside the fire department while on duty, or they would have NO members. Sure and if you use this logic you can justify ANYTHING can't you? Just like you could say if the guys in the station were smoking dope or drinking or bringing hookers into the station and no one complained and they just went along it must be okay. Right? Isn't that the jist of what you are saying? If no one complains and just goes along anything goes, Right... illegal or not? The longtime members apparently FIT IN with the department. Or they simply know that if they want to keep their jobs they need to keep quiet. Perhaps you could live that way but I couldn't and I have rocked the boat on a couple of FD's I was on when I felt what we were doing was wrong. I still have to look in the mirror every morning when I shave and I have never been a go along to get along type of guy if the going along was wrong.This guy did not, I dont care who's fault it was, apparently if a person likes little training, and corrupt ways of doing things, then this department would be the right fit for them. I see, so it is his fault that he thought the fire department would train him to do the job? It is his fault that he didn't want to break the law? It is his fault that he felt that driving a board member's dump truck hauling dirt while on duty was wrong? Hmmm, maybe you are right...it sounds like maybe these 2 guys that got fired were the only 2 on this department with big enough stones to say what the F### is going on here. 99% of the people on here would probably be a little uncomfortable at a station like this. I am NOT a go along to get along type of guy, I dont have to be, I FIT IN at my department. So in reality you do go along to get along because you fit in. Suppose you were a great firefighter but were somehow socially or religiously or politically different than everyone else there...would you state your beliefs or shut up and go along when others spoke up? Never mind answering I already know. You fit in. Not because I do whatever they tell me, So do tell how you refuse to do something and get away with it. Isn't this what these guys did? The only difference is they didn't get away with it. but because I am comfortable in the way they do things. You can have different opinions on issues, or the way we do things and not be fired, or should I use Fyred. So, how often does your current FD have you decide between doing something illegal and getting fired? If never then this is an apples to elephants comparison and has no value. Your talking like this guy needs to have his job back. He does and the chief needs to be fired and that board member needs to be removed. I wouldn't want my job back in a department like this without change. And if the chief is fired and the board member removed and a new admin comes in change may occur and this may actually become a fire department. Sometimes things happen for a reason, I would go look for a department that suited my needs better. And if that isn't a viable option for family or other reasons then what? Just give up your dream? Sorry Maybe one that trained on a regular basis, and used proper permits while conducting live burns? That would be a start.
      I think that we are going to have to agree to disagree. But I think your rose colored glasses need their prescription checked.

Have a nice day.

FyredUp
      Crazy, but that's how it goes
      Millions of people living as foes
      Maybe it's not too late
      To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Just Follow orders

Lets see, to paraphrase some posts here, its not our duty to question orders, just follow them. Think back in time 61 years ago and you heard words to that same effect being uttered. sounds like these guys had a concience and a brain, both of which seem to be in short supply in their dept. Maybe there really is a Firehouse Mafia someplace.

Comment

I have to agree with FyredUp here. This isn't even a case of him not fitting in, it's a case of something calling itself a fire department, not BEING a fire department. Then someone seems to have stood up, said WTF?, and now he's jobless, and the shenanigans continue like usual.

I truly fear for the residents of their district, if this is how things are done. Who knows what other corners they are cutting, in their attempt to have a city paid, private workforce for the council president. Who needs fire training? Let's just send the guys to landscape, and if there's a fire, they can fake it.

Comment

I was warned before I filled out my application about that place and I don’t pass judgment, but I should have. There’s a whole bunch of stuff that we should have been doing that we don’t, like training.”
            So this guy knew what he was getting into, knew he didn't like it, still decided to join and then was - shocking - surprised at how things were run? Many posters on this board strongly disagree with how CFD does business. No tanks on the roof, working peaked roofs, splitting up crews and letting members operate alone, searching without a line, operating above a fire, no bunker gear (until now) and a hundred other little things people here don't understand. I knew about CFD's operations before I joined and they were fine with me. If I had had a strong disagreement with their philosophy I didn't have to join. Neither did this guy.
            I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoFF View Post
              So this guy knew what he was getting into, knew he didn't like it, still decided to join and then was - shocking - surprised at how things were run? Many posters on this board strongly disagree with how CFD does business. No tanks on the roof, working peaked roofs, splitting up crews and letting members operate alone, searching without a line, operating above a fire, no bunker gear (until now) and a hundred other little things people here don't understand. I knew about CFD's operations before I joined and they were fine with me. If I had had a strong disagreement with their philosophy I didn't have to join. Neither did this guy.
              So it's basically the guy's fault that the fire department is crooked and unsafe? That's your best answer, "he didn't have to join.." What if that was the only fire department in his area where he could apply? Should he have to go out of his way to make his dream come true by going out of county or out of state because the only department he has the possibility of getting employed with has a "our way or the highway attitude?"

If they're doing illegal things that can compromise the safety of their people, we should all just say "at least it's not me" and allow them to continue to do so. I guess nothing should be done until someone is hurt or killed.

This attitude by FF's on this forum of "he didn't have to join" absolutely amazes me...

Under federal law every person has the right to be employed with an organization and be free from workplace violence, workplace hazards, and/or harassment. This Fire department needs to step into the 21st century or be disbanded.

Comment

All I can say, is if the guy showed up on my doorstep, I would have
                a place for him in a minute.

No problem here.

Comment

Originally posted by SgtScott31 View Post
                  So it's basically the guy's fault that the fire department is crooked and unsafe? That's your best answer, "he didn't have to join.." What if that was the only fire department in his area where he could apply? Should he have to go out of his way to make his dream come true by going out of county or out of state because the only department he has the possibility of getting employed with has a "our way or the highway attitude?"

If they're doing illegal things that can compromise the safety of their people, we should all just say "at least it's not me" and allow them to continue to do so. I guess nothing should be done until someone is hurt or killed.

This attitude by FF's on this forum of "he didn't have to join" absolutely amazes me...

Under federal law every person has the right to be employed with an organization and be free from workplace violence, workplace hazards, and/or harassment. This Fire department needs to step into the 21st century or be disbanded.
                  I think what we are trying to say is he shouldnt be utterly shocked about what happened when he stood his ground. How do we think its his fault the department is unsafe? It was like that before he even got on, so that isnt even a valid argument. He did KNOW how they worked, and put his nut* on the line for a change to the good and it blew up on him. This probably isnt over, and things may change for the good. If this was the only fire department in his area he would have had some pretty tough choices, join a department he assumed or have heard is corrupt and unsafe, and take a risk by standing up for what I feel is good, and hope for a little change, or not apply. It depends on how big the dream is. I would love to be on a big time department like chicago, but love where I live currently and would never think of moving. My dream will have to stay that, a dream. Im sure this will get picked apart by fyred up, but I think this guy got screwed, yet shouldnt be surprised. I hope the department changes it's ways.

Comment

Know What You Talkin' bout

I was a volunteer at that department for three years. I, too, spoke out after one of our firefighters, Todd Blanchard, was killed. The treatment of his memory and the family as unacceptable. I even wrote a column about it.

Then 11:30 one Saturday night as I was pulling a volunteer 24-hour shift, the chief shows up, tells me to turn in my gear and go home. How professional is that? Having know this dope for some time I can tell you he couldn't lead a team of mules.

As my fellow forum members have stated in several instances, shady events occur at that department. The "good ol' boy" system is alive and well there, in more ways than one. This instance with Jason and Allan is but one of a myriad of events that I witnessed over my 3-year tenure. All of them bad.

This is no knock on the men of the department. Many of them are stand-up fellas. Hard-chargers all. It's just the leadership, namely the board president and the fire chief, that are killing the department.

What's worse, is when you go train at other departments in the county, folks find out you are from Eastern Wake, and they snicker. That should tell you something.

Want to read what I wrote? Take a look at "Remembering a Friend" at

http://digemsworld.blogspot.com/2005...ng-friend.html

GATOR, OUT!

Originally posted by GFDLT1 View Post
                    ****These comments are mine and mine alone and in no way represent any department I am associated with****

I know both FF's that got canned, they for the most part are stand up guys. The department in question, more so their leadership is shady has hell. They don't do any training there, and I mean any, this is to include preplans. This is not the first and won't be the last time that houses have mysteriously burnt up in their district.

Jason asked questions after he saw what the paid guys at his combo department where he vols at were doing, ie the training during the day, preplans, hydrant maintenence, and wanted to know why they didn't do that type of stuff at Eastern Wake. I can see how ChicagoFF might see Jason as a rat, or cry baby, but he isn't that way. What that story doesn't tell is how he was made to take off his uniform in the wash bay at 1130pm and go to the house. Jason didn't rat anyone out, he did say that he didn't want any part of the burning. Allen (who was the other FF fired) was the one that called the fire marshal's office. He did so anyomimously (sp?) and was found out when the Chief pulled the 911 phone tapes and recognized his voice.

One other small detail is that word coming out of the department is that the board president asked the chief for this to be done, not the other way around. You know something fishy is up when a fire truck pulls up to a burnt vacant house, turns off the fire truck and its lights, and precedes to light the house on fire.

****These comments are mine and mine alone and in no way represent any department that I may be associated with****

Comment

Times are a changin'

That model will change soon, though, if the county has it's way.

I just prey for the day when the two become one, Myrick and the Chief are sent home, and all is good again. Our town deserves a damned good fire department, and Eastern Wake, under it's current leadership, isn't it.

GATOR, OUT.

Originally posted by GFDLT1 View Post
                      ****These comments are mine and mine alone and in no way represent any department I am associated with****

This would be true. A couple of years ago the town of Knightdale decided to form their own department and not contract with Eastern Wake any longer. This left an Eastern Wake fire station inside of town limits and one outside. Now if Eastern Wake gets a fire and needs mutuial aid, they will call for another department to respond from somewhere around 5-10 miles away instead of the town department which might be 2 miles or less away due to the fact that the admin has hurt feelings and doesn't want any part of the town any longer.

Comment

Agreed. You do the dance, you pay the piper.

People should be asking about fallen firefighter, Todd Blanchard, who was killed under the regieme of these two do-dos running the department. How do I know? I was there.

Check out my blog about it at http://digemsworld.blogspot.com/2005...ng-friend.html

GATOR, OUT.

Originally posted by SgtScott31 View Post
                        Fyred up is right on the money.

Adam, I'm not sure how old you are, but doing something illegal just to "fit in" is not the right way to go.

Fyred up sounds like he answered your post the exact way you made it.

Just because there's a chance this fire department condones this type of activity on a daily/weekly basis doesn't mean that people should leave them alone to get away with this type of behavior. I don't know the complete circumstances of the incident, and I hate to base my sole opinion off a news story, but if it's true, it took some guts to stand up for what's right (and legal) by this guy and he was terminated for it, without cause.

The department either needs a new chief to conduct fire operations, training, and other activities the right (and legal) way or the entire department needs to be disbanded and someone else take their territory.

Comment

Gotta Be Near It to Understand

Valid points.

But understand, you gotta be near it to know the real truth. You are only commenting on what you are reading.

The board president has done little for the department. How do I know? I was there for three years as a volunteer. I witnessed many irrational decisions made by the board president and executed by the fire chief. All of them resulted in the department as a whole sliding one notch down the ladder.

It's sad. I feel for my former comrades. There are some good guys there, and they don't deserve the publicity. But if this does something in getting the president, board and chief removed, believe me, that department will be much better off.

GATOR, OUT.

Originally posted by randsc View Post
                          Where are you guys getting the "would you do a live burn at 2300" from?

The article says he was FIRED at 2350, three days later. Where does it say the live burn was at a similar time?

I don't give much credence to the "95% destroyed" thing, either. Remember, that was not an estimate from a firefighter, but rather fromt the board president, and apparently the building is still standing even now, AFTER the live burn.

As for the hauling dirt, I think you are focussing too much on where he was hauling it FROM and not enough on where he was hauling it TO. Loam is valuable, and he was going to get it for landscaping the firehouse. The fact that the board president provided the loam is a point in his favor, not a point to his detriment.

Bottom line is that they shouldn't be burning without proper permits, and no one should be fired for whistle-blowing on an illegal burn. But I have seen nothing here that makes me question my first reaction when I read the stories, which was: "I bet there is something more goin on here."

Comment

Didn't the Police Just Go Through This Same...

Off-duty stuff? Nuff said.

GATOR, OUT.

Originally posted by oldtruckman View Post
                            There is more going on here then many know about. The story goes deeper than just those two articles. To name a few: The incident in question was done through some "closed door,good ole' boy" sessions and it was decided that the owner wanted the remaining part of the house gone, so this FD goes out at about 2300 hrs, with GASOLINE to finish burning a house with ASBESTOS in it. This guy stood up for what he believed to be the right thing. What if someone had gotten hurt or worse yet even killed due to this crap? The comments about the landscaping issue, they were doing work for the president's PRIVATE company while ON DUTY. How is that bitching about "his job". The statements about training and "complaining" while on probation, I see where your trying to go with that, but the fact that he was out moving dirt for the president's private company while on duty for the fire dept, just doesn't hold water for that arguement.

Comment

When The Chief Is On the Dole, Cajones Not Required.

Unfortunately, the chief and the board president are lifelong buds. That shoudl tell you something right there.

GATOR, OUT.

Originally posted by Catch22 View Post
                              I can't argue with you one bit (on either point ). I've done the same thing at my stations. However, especially since guys that seem to know the situation there have spoken, it's a little different deal when it's to benefit one of the board members and taking the guy away from the truck to haul the dirt. What would have happened if he had been at the board member's home loading the dirt and an alarm came in and the truck was short a man because of it?

Like Mikey, I don't see him as a rat. Apparantly he was't the one that dropped the dime (I think someone posted it was the other guy?), but I wouldn't have blamed him if he did. They went to a board member's burned out rental house at 2300, poured it with gas, and then lit it? That's not training, that's demolition, especially if the house was 95% burned, as the board member stated.

Hopefully the department will benefit from a new board and new admin. It's a shame the chief didn't have the cajones to stand up to this guy and tell him no in the first place.

Comment

While i have not been personally involved with this dept., i too, am familier with how this chief runs things.....shady to say the least. As was already posted this event is just the latest in a fairly long history of back room deals. I just can't believe it hasn't made the local news yet. I think that if it does this will be the last straw for the current chief and admin.(some of them anyway). That would be a good thing. I can't think of anyone that i know in the local (wake county) fire service that dosen't think that this particular chief is a joke.
                                I know that some of you are thinking that the guy(one of the 2) that was fired is a whiner, and maybe he is, i don't know him. I would think though that he put up with the B.S. for awhile and finally got tired of it and blew the whistle.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X