Research Assistance Request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Research Assistance Request

I am a graduate student conducting research on consolidated public safety departments in the United States, wherein the agency cross-trains personnel to perform law enforcement and fire suppression duties. If you know of any such agencies, would you be kind enough to post the name of the agency and the state in which it is located.

I know this is a controversial issue, but this is strictly a research project, and there is no intent to initiate a debate on the merits or disadvantages of such organizations.

Thanks

BEESEA

Michigan:

Kalamazoo
    Fraser
    Oak Park
    City of Grosse Pointe
    Grosse Pointe Park
    Grosse Pointe Woods
    Village of Grosse Pointe
    Grosse Pointe Shores

Plenty more, just can't think of them now. Highland Park used to be but went to separate FD and Sheriff Dept coverage.

I know you aren't looking for opinions, but I can't mention them without saying i think it's a lousy system that shortchanges proper Fire and EMS work.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnyv View Post
      Michigan:

Kalamazoo
      Fraser
      Oak Park
      City of Grosse Pointe
      Grosse Pointe Park
      Grosse Pointe Woods
      Village of Grosse Pointe
      Grosse Pointe Shores

Plenty more, just can't think of them now. Highland Park used to be but went to separate FD and Sheriff Dept coverage.

I know you aren't looking for opinions, but I can't mention them without saying i think it's a lousy system that shortchanges proper Fire and EMS work.
      Thanks, Gunny, I have these and a lot more from Michigan. Seems Michigan is the public safety department capital of the nation. Probably has something to do with the fact that Grosse Pointe Shores started the first public safety department in 1911, and it spread from there.

I understand your feelings. I just don't want to start an angry debate here, so I am doing everything possible to keep it neutral. This whole project is nothing more than part of the research phase of my Master's Thesis.

Since you appear to be in Michigan, here is the list I have so far. If you can think of any I don't have, I would greatly appreciate a post.

Albion Department Of Public Safety
      Berkley Department Of Public Safety
      Beverly Hills Department of Public Safety
      Blackman Township Department Of Public Safety
      Bloomfield Hills Department Of Public Safety
      Centerline Department Of Public Safety
      Cheboygan Department Of Public Safety
      East Grand Rapids Department Of Public Safety
      Emmett Township Department Of Public Safety
      Escanaba Department Of Public Safety
      Essexville Department Of Public Safety
      Farmington Department Of Public Safety
      Fraser Department Of Public Safety
      Gladstone Department Of Public Safety
      Grand Haven Department Of Public Safety
      Greenville Department Of Public Safety
      Grosse Pointe Department Of Public Safety
      Grosse Pointe Farms Department Of Public Safety
      Grosse Pointe Park Department Of Public Safety
      Grosse Pointe Shores Department Of Public Safety
      Grosse Pointe Woods Police Department
      Huntington Woods Department Of Public Safety
      Ionia Department Of Public Safety
      Ironwood Department Of Public Safety
      Kalamazoo Department Of Public Safety
      Kingsford Department Of Public Safety
      Manistique Department Of Public Safety
      Oak Park Department Of Public Safety
      Petoskey Department Of Public Safety
      Plainwell Department Of Public Safety
      Springfield Department Department Of Public Safety

Comment

At one time Smyrna, Tennessee had cross-trained LEO/FF, but I don't know if they still do.
        ullrichk
        a.k.a.
        perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Comment

Bluegrass Airport in Lexington, KY has cross-trained LEO/FF's
          The opinions I post to these forums do not represent any entity to which I am affiliated.

Comment

A PSO May work in a small town but in lager cities where the FD and Police have union contracts, it is not there and will never be there,

I am not for pso's, as a cop can't fight a fire if he or she is investigating a mva! and a firefighter can't stop firghting a fire and respond to a hold up alarm.

It is just not a pratctical operation.
            OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
            343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

Comment

Originally posted by ullrichk View Post
              At one time Smyrna, Tennessee had cross-trained LEO/FF, but I don't know if they still do.
              Thanks, ullrichk, I went to their wedsite, and it is apparent they have deconsolidated. There are six PSO's left, probably from the past structure, but the rest are either fire or police.

Comment

Originally posted by ccfdblehman View Post
                Bluegrass Airport in Lexington, KY has cross-trained LEO/FF's
                Thank you, sir, I will check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by allineedisu View Post
                  A PSO May work in a small town but in lager cities where the FD and Police have union contracts, it is not there and will never be there.
                  Interesting statement. Regarding population, where do you think the transistion from a small town to a large city begins? How do you define a large city?

Next, how would a union contract prevent the formation of a public safety agency once the contract had expired and the city decided to change the working conditions of its fire and police personnel?

Finally, are you aware of the new public safety law in Illinois?

Comment

Originally posted by ullrichk View Post
                    Ullrichk, there a quite a few im Tennessee. A couple that come to mind are Kingston Springs, Johnson City
                    The evidence of God's presence far outweighs the
                    proof of His absence.

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant387 View Post
                      Ullrichk, there a quite a few im Tennessee. A couple that come to mind are Kingston Springs, Johnson City
                      Johnson City deconsolidated in July of 2005, leaving only Kingston Springs and Jonesborough that I can find. If you know of any others in Tennessee, EL TEE, I would appreciate the information.

Comment

Originally posted by allineedisu View Post
                        A PSO May work in a small town but in lager cities where the FD and Police have union contracts, it is not there and will never be there.

Usually the city offers a 10-20% raise to the cops to take on the fire duties. The cops are happy to take the extra cash, and since they usually far outnumber the firefighters, the city will threaten to lay off the firemen, offer buyouts for the ones closest to retirement, or let them stay as apparatus drivers.

Here's proof that the police work takes precedence-from the Kalamazoo Public Safety Officer Job announcement. There are no fire related promotion opportunities mentioned:

"Promotional opportunities include: Detective, Canine Handler, Community Policing Officer, Crime Lab Technician, Honor Guard, Bomb Squad and Tactical Response Unit."

Comment

In Ohio:

Village of Oakwood (Suburb of Dayton)

Amberly Village (Suburb of Cincinnati)

Comment

Originally posted by BEESEA View Post
                            Johnson City deconsolidated in July of 2005, leaving only Kingston Springs and Jonesborough that I can find. If you know of any others in Tennessee, EL TEE, I would appreciate the information.
                            How about the Nashville Airport? SgtScott31 posted this.
                            ullrichk
                            a.k.a.
                            perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Comment

Originally posted by spegram View Post
                              In Ohio:

Village of Oakwood (Suburb of Dayton)

Amberly Village (Suburb of Cincinnati)
                              Thanks, I have these. They are the only two in Ohio, according to the Amberley Village website. Oakwood Public Safety was formed in 1924, which makes it the second oldest public safety agency in the U.S.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X