Firefighter Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefighter Video

Not sure if this has been posted here or not but here is a good training video that shows the importance of wearing the gear no matter what type of training is being conducted. I was informed that the firefighter in the video was ok after the mishap. Link to video is as follows:
    http://fire-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416
    Captain Ron
    http://www.fire-forums.com

I'd say some one didn't have the gas cap on the correct way or what? It appears the ff was uninjured and thats a good thing. As for the saw I guess they make them everyday.

Comment

Maybe I missed something but shouldn't someone have been assigned to stand by with a C02 bottle?Might have been better than using a turnout coat to suppress the flames.

Comment

Originally posted by doughesson View Post
        Maybe I missed something but shouldn't someone have been assigned to stand by with a C02 bottle?Might have been better than using a turnout coat to suppress the flames.
        Absolutely ! Anything involved with cutting of metal should have some sort of supression on standby
        Captain Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Captainron19 View Post
          Absolutely ! Anything involved with cutting of metal should have some sort of supression on standby
          The first and only time anyone referred to me as an"officer"was when I was the second senior guy at an in house training session,and told to be the safety officer while the new guys practiced starting the chain saws.
          Flashing back to my Navy days,when we'd have a safety briefing before sea and anchor detail I piped up"No watches,rings or jewelry.Put your turnouts on.No one but the guy on the saw handles it,everyone else at a 90 degree angle or more behind him to observe,Helmets with face shields down and gloves on....."
          I even had an extinguisher nearby in case of problems during refuelling the saw.
          It might have been overkill but if something had gone wrong,I wanted everything I could think of to fix it and still wondered the whole time if I had enough.

Comment

At work last night we were going through youtube finding the funniest firemen videos ever. The more we watched, the more thankful we were that we work where we do. There are some silly, stupid animals out there with gear calling themselves "firemen". You really can't post videos of morons and use them as training material. Stupid people do stupid things.
            I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

It's not really an advertisement for gear IMHO.

One thing that irks me is when fire service people say, "Look, that's why you wear you gear!" and don't ask deeper questions.

The worst was a video I watched of the San Diego lifeguard blowing himself up by dousing a boat in gasoline and then lighting it while standing in the boat and the voice on the video only commented on how proper PPE saved his life. And never once mentioned the physical properties of gasoline (as a flammable liquid, it can have an explode at typical temperatures), that he transported the gasoline to the burn boat in a 5 gallon pail -- hardly a proper container which would have exposed the other people on the transport boat to unnecessary risk, nor criticized him for lighting while standing in the boat versus a safer action like getting on another boat and throwing a flare in from a distance.

Nope, all the voice did was praise him for wearing all his gear. And that's the only lesson people watching just the video would have gotten.

Yes, the gear certainly helped prevent more serious injuries. Of course, alternatively with just pants on he might have felt the gasoline pouring on his jeans before it ignited. That's one of those "what ifs" we can never answer, so we'll recognize with all things equal, the bunkers provided more protection then jeans.

I think the Instructor did a good job to get in and snap the firefighter out of the deer-in-the-headlights moment, and it was a head's up move by the FF who dived in with the bunker coat.

But a good lesson to take from that video is this:

They had EZ-Up shelters setup in the background, I presume to provide shade because one common theme in today's fire service magazines and such is concern about heat exhaustion and getting the guys into shade is a good way to cool them down. Nothing wrong that, and I personally have made a trip to the store during a fundraiser to buy EZ-ups to give my guys a place to go and cool off on their breaks.

But no one had thought to have a fire extinguisher with them while working wth gasoline powered tools and creating sparks. <-- And that's the "basics" that got forgotten.

Sometimes in taking the time to do the new stuff, we forget the old stuff that's old stuff because it was recognized as a bigger hazard first.

Matt
              Last edited by Dalmatian190; 02-01-2007, 01:41 PM.

Comment

sucks that I cant watch google video's or youtube at work because of our filter
                The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Comment

On a lighter side...check out this video...

http://fire-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291

Good ole Ross the Intern - I laugh harder every time I watch it (especially the section with the car)
                  Captain Ron

Comment

Regardless, I'll bet these guys keep a closer eye on the gas cap to their new K12.
                    Member IACOJ

Comment

Originally posted by Captainron19 View Post
                      On a lighter side...check out this video...

http://fire-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291

Good ole Ross the Intern - I laugh harder every time I watch it (especially the section with the car)
                      That was hilarious.

Comment

Now that's funny!!!

He must have been like a kid in a candy store......
                        Jason Knecht
                        Firefighter/EMT
                        Township Fire Dept., Inc.
                        Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
                        http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
                        EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

Talk about adding character to the firehouse.....LOL! That was funny!

Comment

Is the link not working for anyone else?
                            ------------------------------------
                            These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
                            ------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
                              Is the link not working for anyone else?
                              Didn't work for me... go to google videos and google "saw fire"

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X