Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

suspenders?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • suspenders?

    i am a new firefighter and noticed that some guys dont wear suspenders on their turnoutgear! what are the pros and cons to wearing them and not wearing them? im trying to figure out why they dont wear them. they have givin me some reasons but i was wondering what others thougth about this!

    thanks!

  • #2
    Let's see here...

    Wear them, pants stay up.

    Don't wear them, pants fall down.

    I personally hate having to cinch the waist adjustment tabs as tight as would be necessary to keep the pants up W/O them. When your bunkers get wet, you'll appreciate why we wear suspenders more than ever.

    Mostly, it just boils down to personal preference.




    Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

    Comment


    • #3
      You should wear them regardless of girth. The reason for wearing them is many manufacturers have decided that they have become an integral part of the ensemble for firefighter removal. Try a RIT drill with a dummy with suspenders and without, when its ***' and elbows and guys are grabbing anything they can, you want those pants to stay on. I personally hate them, but I wear them cause of that.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
        You should wear them regardless of girth. The reason for wearing them is many manufacturers have decided that they have become an integral part of the ensemble for firefighter removal. Try a RIT drill with a dummy with suspenders and without, when its ***' and elbows and guys are grabbing anything they can, you want those pants to stay on. I personally hate them, but I wear them cause of that.


        My suspenders break constantly. There is no way in hell that they would hold up in a FF removal situation.
        Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

        Comment


        • #5
          What happened to this downed man's coat?

          We were taught to grab em by the SCBA harness.

          The one truth of suspenders I learned early on is to make sure they are not
          between your legs prior to pulling up the pants.

          Comment


          • #6
            Not to pull them by the suspenders, but to help the pants stay on while you are dragging a guy across all the crap.
            "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
              Not to pull them by the suspenders, but to help the pants stay on while you are dragging a guy across all the crap.
              Absolutely. But it shouldnt be implied that grabbing them will in any way assist in the removal.
              Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

              Comment


              • #8
                The new Morning Pride suspenders we were issued at work were supposedly designed to be beefier due to our PSS system. We were told that the suspenders are now an integral part of the firefighter ensemble. It was also stated to us at a drill at the Rock that when removing a down member the pants staying on the member will make a big difference in his removal. Like I said before, when it is ***' and elbows and guys are grabbing six ways to Sunday, I want my pants to stay on, and not to complicate the situation. If they break tell someone about it and get new ones. I do not like them and they just put added strain on my shoulders from the weight they add, which is also supporting my flashlight SCBA Rope/hydra ram. But, like I said, I want to be out and alive than undressed and half alive or dead.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
                  The new Morning Pride suspenders we were issued at work were supposedly designed to be beefier due to our PSS system. We were told that the suspenders are now an integral part of the firefighter ensemble. It was also stated to us at a drill at the Rock that when removing a down member the pants staying on the member will make a big difference in his removal. Like I said before, when it is ***' and elbows and guys are grabbing six ways to Sunday, I want my pants to stay on, and not to complicate the situation. If they break tell someone about it and get new ones. I do not like them and they just put added strain on my shoulders from the weight they add, which is also supporting my flashlight SCBA Rope/hydra ram. But, like I said, I want to be out and alive than undressed and half alive or dead.
                  Absolutely, Im not disagreeing with why they should be worn. When someone is getting dragged head first, the boots and pants can easily come off. But I have personally sent my pants out 3 times for repairs for the suspender buttons, and its beyond frustrating at this point.

                  When I was at education day a few months ago, a LT said that many manufacturers demand the wearing of the strap, because when crawling or squatting, with the suspenders on, it helps keep the pants bundled up in our "sensitive" areas. Without suspenders, it tends to sag alittle bit, and the chances of burns are increased. Not sure how true that is, and Im not gonna be the one to test it.
                  Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Our gear (morning pride) although very popular does not hold up to the demands that we put on it. The job should provide each battalion with a repair kit that includes the ability to reattach buttons and sew with PBI thread. Waiting 6months to get things reattached is annoying. I put buttons on my harness straps, best thing I ever did!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by FlyingRon View Post
                      What happened to this downed man's coat?

                      .

                      ...and as of next week, that coat will have a grab/drag handle installed on the back, just below the collar. Anybody seen this yet? New NFPA standard, I got a chance to see some this weekend at LSU.
                      Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
                      Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
                      Paincourtville, LA

                      "I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
                      — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        ...waiting for my new coat to come...it's supposed to include this new harness/strap thingy. State Contract, no choice on my side.
                        "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by dmleblanc View Post
                          ...and as of next week, that coat will have a grab/drag handle installed on the back, just below the collar. Anybody seen this yet? New NFPA standard, I got a chance to see some this weekend at LSU.
                          We got 'em. They seem a little silly to me. If you are down the flap to get the strap is behind the tank and under your helmet and you have to reach in there with gloves on and grab a small tab from under a snapped flap and pull it out and then use this strap to pull the guy. You could do all that...... or just grab the guy by his tank. Could it be NFPA changed this standard and added this feature of dubious value to force people to buy more gear???? Nah, couldn't be that. I'm sure that they are so concerned for our safety that they added this out of concern for us, even though it seems pretty useless.
                          I am a complacent liability to the fire service

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            our new turnouts (Lion) have the option of suspenders or waist belt or both, our current ones pop alot of buttons and we have a box of them at the stations so we can fix them. The guys at my station with the new are split-the guys who like the waist belt they say it takes some weight off their shoulders, the ones with the suspenders say it holds the pants up better and some cant decide so they have both..they look a little confused to me.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              i had that problem with my suspenders braking so i got leather suspender and i havnt had any problems since
                              www.wildlandfire.com
                              Up To Date Wildland Fire Information

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X