Scott Air Packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dfdapd View Post
    The problem is that Scott is no longer going to make the Air Pack 50, now it's either the NXG7 or the Air Pack 75.
    Not True.

I am a Scott Distributor in Oregon and I have seen the new AP 75. Haven't seen or really heard much about the new NXG2. The AP 75 was just a demo/prototype I saw in December from our Scott rep. Looks like it will be pretty neat. What they have pretty much done is taken the AP50 and the NXG2 and combined them. The biggest complaint about the NXG2 was the quick connect/disconnect of the cylinder (which a lot think is great) because of the inability to use other cylinders with their BA's (ie MSA, Survivair bottles). Personally I don't really see that as a valid argument seeing as how if you ask most firefighters, not all, but most, if they have ever done mutual aid and used another departments BA's, they will say never. In fact you are not supposed to combine different manufactures' cylinders with airpacks. Anyways back to the AP 75. They have taken the bells and whistles of the NXG2 and incorporated it with the basic framework of the AP 50. So now you have a pack with the same cylinder connection as the 50 with the visual and audible low air warnings that the NXG2 had. The PAK Alert is going to have a 45 degree angle for the gauge so that it is easier to read(but I believe that will be on all packs due to the new design forced by NFPA) All the electronics are being placed at the base of the pack, and the whole things runs off of ONE (that's right, ONE) battery supply, which is 6 AA's.

As far as NFPA 2007 goes, I am with you guys on this. I think that their are some things that are not really neccessary and it is just a way for the manufacturers to squeeze more money out of these things. Starting with all Airpacks purchased HAVE to be shipped with a voice amp. However some of the things they are doing are good. The one, and most important thing in NFPA 2007, I think, is the new tumble/imersion/muffle test that the PASS alarms are going to be put through. Yes they will be impossible to repair and will most likely just have to be replaced (3 year warranty though). But they will be much better and less likely to fail when a firefighter needs it the most, because let's face it, that PASS alarm may one day save your life. Unfortunatly I have been told that upgrading your BA's to meet 2007 will probably cost $1000+.(that nubmer is just for Scott, it may be more or less for others, but I believe it will cost more for MSA, survivair, and others)

I see that you are from Albany which is north of where I am from. If you have any other questions you can give me a call. 800-654-7049

p.s. One more thing that Scott will be coming out with is their new communications device called the EPIC. It has a bluetooth chip in it to wirelessly connect with your radios and should be voice activated.

Comment

When is Scott going to come out with a regulator that stays attached to the face mask so it does not dangle all over the place when you take it? That is the big thing I dont like about Scott packs. That is whey we are looking at the ISI and Interspiro. We will probable end up with Interspiro b/c we have several of there packs, Plus our local paid Dept. already uses Interspiro.
      Marshall Griffiss EMT/FF
      Chaires Capitola Fire Rescue
      Tallahassee, Fl.
      www.stitchingbydesign.net
      Washington Lodge #2 F&AM
      Past Master
      Ham Radio: N4DOG General Class
      IACOJ

Comment

........$$$$$$$$$........

Comment

What we need is for all the BA mfg's to do is put GPS in the BA's so downed FF's can be quickly located in safe manner.

Comment

So tell me, what the hell is CBRN?
            Stephen J Bourassa
            Latham FD (NY)
            member since 1969
            challenge competitor since 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Fitguy51 View Post
              So tell me, what the hell is CBRN?
              A waste of everyones money. Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear. We have cbrn masks but nothing else. Plus, If it can't be washed down with a 2 1/2, how close do I really need to get to the nuke? C'mon, lets get real.
              I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

Originally posted by randsc View Post
                Agreed, almost entirely. The one change I would point out is that it is not the "Chief Cletuses" of the world that are over-represented on NFPA panels. It is the chiefs of (often comparatively wealthy) suburban departments (Chief Chad? Chief Biff?).
                You're right. I stand corrected.
                I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

Originally posted by gatoremt View Post
                  When is Scott going to come out with a regulator that stays attached to the face mask so it does not dangle all over the place when you take it? That is the big thing I dont like about Scott packs. That is whey we are looking at the ISI and Interspiro. We will probable end up with Interspiro b/c we have several of there packs, Plus our local paid Dept. already uses Interspiro.
                  I'm not exactly sure what you are asking here? I have never seen or heard of a regulator "dangling" all over the place. Once you do the quarter turn and lock the regulator in to place it can't move.

Originally posted by AZFF25 View Post
                  What we need is for all the BA mfg's to do is put GPS in the BA's so downed FF's can be quickly located in safe manner.
                  http://www.scotthealthandsafety.com/paktracker.htm

Something new from Scott. I have played around with our demo set and it seems to be pretty cool. Even better if you have Scott SCBA's you can have the transmitter integrated into your pak.

Comment

Originally posted by JRLloyd View Post
                    I'm not exactly sure what you are asking here? I have never seen or heard of a regulator "dangling" all over the place. Once you do the quarter turn and lock the regulator in to place it can't move.
                    He maybe referring to the length of the new low pressure hose to the face-piece regulator. It is longer than the older models without the quick disconnect feature, so it has a habit of getting in the way.

Comment

I meant once you are no longer hooked to the face mask. The regulators I have seen are dangling all over the place. Unlike the ISI and Interspiro. The regulator is mounted to the face mask all the time.
                      Marshall Griffiss EMT/FF
                      Chaires Capitola Fire Rescue
                      Tallahassee, Fl.
                      www.stitchingbydesign.net
                      Washington Lodge #2 F&AM
                      Past Master
                      Ham Radio: N4DOG General Class
                      IACOJ

Comment

I only used an ISI unit once, about 15 yrs ago, and it had a dangling connector to the mask but is was not as big as the Scott is today. I have used Scott all of my 37 yr career and have had not trouble. I remember the elephant trunk masks of old. We have come a long way, thats for sure.
                        Stephen J Bourassa
                        Latham FD (NY)
                        member since 1969
                        challenge competitor since 1993

Comment

Originally posted by gatoremt View Post
                          I meant once you are no longer hooked to the face mask. The regulators I have seen are dangling all over the place. Unlike the ISI and Interspiro. The regulator is mounted to the face mask all the time.
                          They are only dangling all over the place because the FF did not clip the regulator into the waist belt "clip".
                          "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

JR,Gator is referring to brand X's regulators which have a "fresh air switch"and stay hooked to the mask(or can stay hooked)once donned.I've never needed that feature,never had a problem finding and hooking my regulator when needed,and I don't need that damned hose hooked up when I'm not on air.Nobody in this corner of the world uses Interspiro/ISI anyway so I don't believe it will cause any sleep loss.For long term service at minimum maintence,I'll put my Scott's up against those two any day.Let me know what they've cost you after a thirty year service life.I bet the Scott wins,hands down. T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
                              JR,Gator is referring to brand X's regulators which have a "fresh air switch"and stay hooked to the mask(or can stay hooked)once donned.I've never needed that feature,never had a problem finding and hooking my regulator when needed,and I don't need that damned hose hooked up when I'm not on air.Nobody in this corner of the world uses Interspiro/ISI anyway so I don't believe it will cause any sleep loss.For long term service at minimum maintence,I'll put my Scott's up against those two any day.Let me know what they've cost you after a thirty year service life.I bet the Scott wins,hands down. T.C.
                              Now I understand what gator was saying. As Bones said though, if you hook your regulator to the holder on your waist belt this shouldn't be a problem. Rescue101 brings up a great point about maintenance after the purchase. I'll be the first to admit that Scotts are not the least expensive of SCBA's. However, most departments will find that they will get their SCBA's really cheap and then end up spending a fortune on maintaining them.

Comment

50 is an awesome upgrade!
                                Local 2068

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse