Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is even worth going into the field if your not planning on.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is even worth going into the field if your not planning on.........

Getting your paramedic certification. Thats what the guy told us today at school. He said pretty soon every department is going to be requiring it eventually. What do you guys think?

Originally posted by firenewbie View Post
    Getting your paramedic certification. Thats what the guy told us today at school. He said pretty soon every department is going to be requiring it eventually. What do you guys think?
    Are you trying to say if you don't become or intend to become a medic, that an instructor says it's not worth it? I'd say what ever. If you become an EMT-B,I or a medic what does it matter to him? You'll have one thing they can't take back from you no matter how far you go, and that would be an education.Do what you feel you should do.

Comment

There is not enough EMS work for every FF to be a paramedic. Too many paramedics = not enough practical experience = degraded care from out-of-practice paramedics. That is a different topic, though.

Getting your paragod cert certainly increases your chances at getting hired quickly on those depts that want paramedics, but there will be a place for EMT and FR firefighters for a long time to come.
      You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
      IACOJ Power Company Liason
      When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
      and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Comment

Good grief, how idiotic can you get?

If they said that to everyone that planned on going to college, imagine what kind of state the world would be in...
        Anita Nesbitt - Chef Extraordinaire
        Never Forget The Brothers - 343 - 9.11.01 - Always in our hearts...
        Stay safe... you never know whats round the next corner
        Go Yankees... Derek Jeter rules!!!
        Go Penguins... Crosby 87... #1 Draft Pick '05

Comment

What is the hiring climate like where you live? That would be absolutely untrue in areas such as NJ, but might very well be reality where you live. I urge any prospective career firefighters in my area to at least secure EMT-B National Registry and consider getting their NJ FF-1 turned into an IFSAC Pro Board FF1 and 2 cert.

Comment

He is an idiot. Dismiss him and go on with your career as if he were a fire plug or a blade of grass.

I'm a Basic, but I'm quite safe and content where I'm at, which is above the paramedics, who writhe in agony and self-hatred, wailing and gnashing their teeth. I sometimes toss them a water soaked sponge from my place of comfort, or a brownie or hunk of gristle from the fat steaks Basics get to eat every day.

The only reason fireplug said that was because he wants company in Hell.
            Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Comment

If your going to let a Paramedic Cert. question your commitment to being a FF, then you need to do something else. If you want to make 50-70 grand a year with a good retirement and security, they will require more from you in the future. That’s the reality of the situation, get used to it.

Comment

I think your instructor is a dumbass. Why would he try and discourage you?
                I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoFF View Post
                  I think your instructor is a dumbass. Why would he try and discourage you?
                  More paramedic classes, more $$$ for the instructor.
                  -------------------
                  "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
                  -----------------------------------------------
                  Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Comment

Originally posted by 4horseman View Post
                    If your going to let a Paramedic Cert. question your commitment to being a FF, then you need to do something else. If you want to make 50-70 grand a year with a good retirement and security, they will require more from you in the future. That’s the reality of the situation, get used to it.
                    There is life outside of California. And, by that, I mean that there are still MANY fire departments that don't do transport and do not have paramedic engine companies. Thus, anyone who says you have to be a paramedic to get a job is a kook.
                    sigpic

Comment

Your instructor was employing a bit of hyperbole, but in the service of helping you have the best chance of being hired. The medic will really, really help in most small to midsize departments in places that don't have separate EMS. My department doesn't run medics, but most around us do.

Just get the cert.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricHoser View Post
                        There is not enough EMS work for every FF to be a paramedic. Too many paramedics = not enough practical experience = degraded care from out-of-practice paramedics. That is a different topic, though.

Getting your paragod cert certainly increases your chances at getting hired quickly on those depts that want paramedics, but there will be a place for EMT and FR firefighters for a long time to come.
                        Not enough work for every FF to be a paramedic? Okay. I agee, not every ff needs this cert, however why would it be a bad thing to have and help the resume. I am not a paramedic myself, but I can see where there is a need. Your statement about not enough practical experience could then, according to your statement, hold true for EMT's and FR's.
                        I work for a mid sized dept in and urban setting that runs als engine and ambulances. We run nearly 30-40 shootings and stabbings combined each month. I'd say that's enough to keep 2 or even 3 medics busy on those calls. Also, with a majority of dept's running EMS calls (which is somewhere around 80% of most calls in these dept's), why would having a more skilled or higher level of knowledge people on your rigs? Sure you can say that very few of the total ems calls require ALS skills.
                        I don't think it was a bad recomendation.
                        Last look at it this way...Think of when many dept's started hiring EMT's and some even requiring it, Do you not think that the old heads on the job were a little nervous. Its just another transition that we face. High schools diplomas used to be all you needed for a good job, now a bachelors degree is hardly worth the time unless you plan on getting your masters. It's very same for fire departments. Who knows, for dept's that run ambulances or private ambulance services, there could be a push for PA's on the rigs.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricHoser View Post

While I tend to agree that not every firefighter needs to be a medic (that's still a while to come as a lot of departments still don't require EMT), I don't necessarily agree with your assertion about too many medics. There are going to be plenty of calls for a long time to come. Baby boomers are getting older, if they had the average 2.5 children then they're going to get old, etc. It's a vicious cycle. At the same time, it appears kids (teenagers) are getting dumber, which is increasing trauma calls, etc. Drugs are getting more prominent, and on and on.

Aside from that, there's a shortage of medics (at least there is in our area). I know of several departments who are hiring almost any medic than can pass the intro exam and then sending FF/EMTs to medic class. Having your medic license sure ain't gonna hurt, but I can't forsee it as a national requirement anytime in the near future.

Comment

Depends on where you live and want to work. Go to the Michigan Firefighters Union webpage, and click on jobs. Out of 5 listed, only 1 will hire w/o medic certification. The one is Ann Arbor, and they are huge into affirmative action, and they require at least EMT-B.

Only one dept in my county will hire you without a medic cert, and they are close to extinction. Their city already farmed out their PD to the Sherriff.

Comment

Depends on your local. Its hard to even get on, let alone move -up, if you dont have a medic patch down here in Fla.
                              Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
                              RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
                              Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse