Rusty Halligan Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty Halligan Bar

I recently recieved an old halligan bar as a gift and it has accumulated some rust over the years. I would like to put it on display with my growing collection of memorabilia. I was wondering what would be the best way to clean it? I was thinking oil and steel wool but was looking for any other ideas. Thanks!
    Fir Na Tine

"You can't help anyone, without getting there first!"

If there's other dirt or grime in addition to rust I'd start with mineral spirits. Scotchbrite pads work well for general cleanup and light rust removal. If it's further gone you may need more aggressive attack. You'll find scotchbrite to be less annoying to workwith than steelwool and you can put some muscle behind it (and it won't leave behind steel wool dust which is a corrosion starter as well).

A coating of oil (WD-40) works well, will protect it while on display.

Comment

If you are not too worried about retaining the old finish, you could have it lightly sandblasted and powder coated. Steel wool might not take off all the rust, but if a "seasoned" look is what you want on it, it might be a good choice.

Comment

clean it with a wire wheel. Do you plan to have people touching it? If so, clear it with some clear coat spray paint. Or Spray it with Silver rustoleum.

Comment

If you want to spend the money, you should be able to have it re-chromed for about $40-50.

Comment

Carburetor cleanor will get the rust off for sure, but don't know what that'll do to the chrome finish.
            "You choose to go voluntarily into the fire. The blaze might well destroy you. But if you survive, every blow of the hammer will serve to shape your being. Every drop of water wrung from you will temper and strengthen your soul." Margaret Weis

Paul Richardson
            Firefighter/EMT-B
            OVFD unit# 343/SLVFD unit# 610

Comment

The Rusty Halligan....

The title of this thread would make a great name for a firefighter themed restaurant/pub!
              ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
              Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Or some kind of deviant sexual act! www.glossaryofperversion.com

Comment

If it was me and this Halligan was purely for display I would wire wheel off the rust, leave the chrome finish in whatever shape it is and then clear coat it with a spray can.

The cool thing to do would be next to the display have a history of that particular tool. Like it came from Ladder 27 of the Whoozeewitz FD where it served during the war years of big fires and tons of runs. I know that sounds kind of buff like but hey, if you aren't a little bit of a buff why display it?

FyredUp
                  Crazy, but that's how it goes
                  Millions of people living as foes
                  Maybe it's not too late
                  To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

keep it in your car, its a great menacing item :-)

Comment

So...

If a Rusty Halligan was a drink, what would it be?

Comment

I would leave it "AS IS"

Comment

Originally posted by Dalmatian190 View Post
                          So...

If a Rusty Halligan was a drink, what would it be?
                          Drambuie and Jamiesons?
                          ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                          Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

I've actually heard Tabasco sauce works well on rust.

Comment

Originally posted by Itsmy6 View Post
                              I've actually heard Tabasco sauce works well on rust.
                              It sure works on an MRE (meal ready to eat) during hurricane evacutions......

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X