Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Changed in Your Life Since You Became a Volunteer FF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Firefighter2230 View Post
    All of that and I still have one unanswered question did you make the Lt. spot or not

On a more serious note what would have been the plan of attack for something like that? let it burn itself out try to set up a master stream or what?
    Yes, the Chief offered me LT the next day, regardless of the "incident", and it was announced that night at training.

Our approach to ice shack fires is that they really are not going anywhere, the only exposure would be another shack or vehicle possibly but we have yet to see that happen. Most of the time, they are down to the ground when we arrive. Really, what are you going to save anyway? We send a few guys with water cans or dry chem. extinguishers to put out the ashes.

Originally posted by FrFtr28 View Post
    How about those cold and snowy nights when you go out and your vehicle is covered with snow and a layer of ice on the windshield? Any ideas for keeping the ice off?
    First.....get a garage!

If you don't have a garage, I used to use a chunk of an old salvage cover to cover over my windshield when it would snow or frost over. Get up, pull the cover off and you are good to go. Otherwise, I would say have a heavy duty scraper ready.
    Jason Knecht
    Firefighter/EMT
    Township Fire Dept., Inc.
    Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

How about those cold and snowy nights when you go out and your vehicle is covered with snow and a layer of ice on the windshield? Any ideas for keeping the ice off?

I got a carport before I got on the department. It doesn't keep everything off but it keeps enough off my car that all I need to do is turn the wipers on and I'm good to go.

Or you could try the trash bag routine. open your passenger side door and put a trash bag (or small tarp) around that side of the windshield and into your car a little ways and shut the door, then go over the other side and do the same with the other end of the tarp/trash bag. When you go outside all you have to is open a door then peel all the ice/snow away.

clipse
      sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=Dickey;768403]If you don't have a garage, I used to use a chunk of an old salvage cover to cover over my windshield when it would snow or frost over.QUOTE]

I had thought about that... Gonna have to try it out.
        28 P.R.I.D.E.
        Protecting Residents In District #1 Everyday
        www.westmead1.com

Comment

The reason mine sits out is that it's too tall to go in the garage, its a lifted suburban.
          I miss the fit by about 4", the top of the garage door crosses right across the top of my windshield. So the wife parks her car in there and I keep my 31 Model A in the other slot.
          The 4 wheeler backed in the garage between the two works well though..LOL

Comment

You can get a cover for your windshield at any auto parts store, wally world,Target, etc. They were around 4 bucks. It has a built in bag so you can fold it into itself when you have people in your vehicle.

It's been real handy my wife even got one for her van.

Comment

Since becoming a volunteer firefighter I have come to realize that there are a whole LOT of pages when there is an ice storm. So I set my pager to vibrate and give it to my wife to "hold" while I am out on the calls. This little tip has done wonders for her appreciation of the fire service.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X